Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,766 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I was passing through NC on my way to MA with my mother, and I got a ticket for 87 in a 65 - yes I was going way too fast, but I was also going the speed of traffic - yikes! Anyway, I have a May court date in Greensboro and am wondering what to do. Does anyone have the name of an attorney proficient in these matters? Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

978 posts, read 2,047,089 times
I'm sure you'll get a bunch of "you shouldn't be speeding" replies.

DEFINITELY get the ticket taken care of. In many states, you can have your license revoked by driving that much over the limit. You really have two options: 1) You can request a prayer for judgement. But you will probably have to go in person and can't have any other speeding tickets on your record from the past few years. 2) Get an attorney. There are plenty of good traffic attorneys in the area. You probably won't even have to go to court, but will pay $200-400 to the attorney (well worth it).

Old 04-05-2015, 07:08 PM

78 posts, read 277,226 times
The only speeding ticket I ever got in my entire life, and I'm ancient, was just west of Greensboro. I was also going the same speed as the traffic which I have been told many times was the safe and proper thing to do. The limit was 65 and we were all traveling at 70!
My mistake, and I see it now, was driving a rental car, because in those days rental cars in NC were required to have the letters "RC" in the license plate number. The cops knew anyone in a rental car had some money in their pocket and would generally always pay rather than have to come back to court.

I was actually taken to jail where I had to wait a couple hours for the "clerk" to get to me. The trooper stood by.
When she calculated my fine (cash bond) the trooper informed me that I had to pay in exact cash or I would be held over the weekend to see the judge on Monday.

Since I was in the area deer hunting I had thought ahead for the weekend and broken a couple $100 bills because a lot of the little stores out in the county cannot handle the larger bills.

No doubt I had a surprised look on my face when the clerk announced something like $281.45 for going what I thought was 5 miles over. The trooper looked at me an smiled then informed me I had been speeding in a construction zone!

I immediately launched into argument mode and pointed out there were no construction signs, no construction lights, no construction equipment, and no construction workers.

The trooper stepped toward me and lowered his voice, "If I say it is a construction zone - young man - it is a construction zone."

In an instant understood the situation; that exact cash went in someone's pocket that night and if I had to stay until Monday, the judge would make me wish I had never driven through North Carolina!

So, I counted out the exact amount and presented it to the "clerk". A huge smile on my face.
I walked directly to the trooper, thanked him for keeping our highways safe and invited him to visit me if he was ever up my way and I would show him some genuine hospitality. I then stuck my hand out.

He had a sour look on his pace but he shook it. I got the hell out of there, 5 mph below the speed limit.

That speeding ticket has never shown up on my record. Hmmmmmm
I still avoid NC whenever possible, spend as little time and money as possible in the state. I intend to avoid those good-ole-boys and their speed traps whenever possible.

Now, your situation: I don't know any lawyers there but I advise you get a good one and plan to pay him or her well.
Get this settled then run!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:12 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,351,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
The only speeding ticket I ever got in my entire life, and I'm ancient, was just west of Greensboro. I was also going the same speed as the traffic which I have been told many times was the safe and proper thing to do. The limit was 65 and we were all traveling at 70!
My mistake, and I see it now, was driving a rental car, because in those days rental cars in NC were required to have the letters "RC" in the license plate number. The cops knew anyone in a rental car had some money in their pocket and would generally always pay rather than have to come back to court.

I was actually taken to jail where I had to wait a couple hours for the "clerk" to get to me. The trooper stood by.
When she calculated my fine (cash bond) the trooper informed me that I had to pay in exact cash or I would be held over the weekend to see the judge on Monday.

Since I was in the area deer hunting I had thought ahead for the weekend and broken a couple $100 bills because a lot of the little stores out in the county cannot handle the larger bills.

No doubt I had a surprised look on my face when the clerk announced something like $281.45 for going what I thought was 5 miles over. The trooper looked at me an smiled then informed me I had been speeding in a construction zone!

I immediately launched into argument mode and pointed out there were no construction signs, no construction lights, no construction equipment, and no construction workers.

The trooper stepped toward me and lowered his voice, "If I say it is a construction zone - young man - it is a construction zone."

In an instant understood the situation; that exact cash went in someone's pocket that night and if I had to stay until Monday, the judge would make me wish I had never driven through North Carolina!

So, I counted out the exact amount and presented it to the "clerk". A huge smile on my face.
I walked directly to the trooper, thanked him for keeping our highways safe and invited him to visit me if he was ever up my way and I would show him some genuine hospitality. I then stuck my hand out.

He had a sour look on his pace but he shook it. I got the hell out of there, 5 mph below the speed limit.

That speeding ticket has never shown up on my record. Hmmmmmm
I still avoid NC whenever possible, spend as little time and money as possible in the state. I intend to avoid those good-ole-boys and their speed traps whenever possible.
Total BS.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,533,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Total BS.
Sounds like he was living a movie script.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,351,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Sounds like he was living a movie script.
Its a creative tale, no doubt. But with no basis in fact.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:59 AM

5,920 posts, read 6,433,250 times
Quote:
Its a creative tale, no doubt. But with no basis in fact.
LOL! Getting thrown in jail for going 5 over the speed limit. Riiiiiigggghhhhhhtttttt!!!

Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,167,513 times
"Make Room for Daddy" Danny Meets Andy Griffith (TV Episode 1960) - IMDb

Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 PM

128 posts, read 241,201 times
I ended up working with Randy Carroll on a case a few years ago, and I thought this office did a nice job. Their number is 336-885-9533. If you have an out of state license usually the best thing to do is get a reduction to 10 mph or less of the speed limit. In some North Carolina counties they will do an improper reduction to make it a non moving violation, but each local da has their standard, and some DAs refuse to do it ever.

If you have an out of state license, you could assist yourself or your attorney by requesting your local driving record now and talking with your insurance agent about how 10 mph over the limit would affect your insurance and if your state has first time offender exception where you don't get points for insurance purposes.

By the way, the NC General Assembly has doubled the court costs in the last five years. An attorney can't really do a lot about the court costs since they are set by statute.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:12 PM

78 posts, read 277,226 times
Quote:
Total BS.
Is that you Trooper X? How are you?

I suppose you are retired now....what have you been doing?

Why don't you come clean for these nice folks and tell them how the old North Carolina used to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: