U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 AM
 
9 posts, read 9,758 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-
I am a 43 year old professional female that works full time from home for a large corporation. I have no children and a boyfriend who is a diesel mechanic. I'm from upstate NY and am relocating in a few months. I have been to both Greensboro and Winston Salem before but only to visit - not looking to live. I'm looking for advice prior to my visit to narrow down the areas to go to - so I would appreciate any help.

As I said - I work full time from home so I don't need to worry about employment. My better half works full time as diesel mechanic and runs a shop now - he would be happy in any decent area he can find work.

I've owned my own home for several years so the thought of living in an "apartment complex" is not very appealing. I'd like to rent a house or half a duplex etc. The only issue I come with is I have a german shepherd/lab mix -2 1/2 year old- and I know so many places allow dogs except certain breeds and german shepherds are one of them (even though he is half/half- he looks like a shepherd with short hair). I have no children so I don't need to worry about schools. Once I live here for awhile - I'll be looking to purchase but I would just prefer to rent for now.

Here is a list of questions I'd like help with. Even if you can only answer 1 or 2 - any help would much appreciated.

Which city is the "safer" of the two?
Which city would be more suitable for a "diesel mechanic" to find employment?
Which city would be better for someone looking to rent a house/duplex vs buy?
Is 900-1000 a month rent reasonable for either area?
Suggestions on specific areas within each City would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help. I've researched a lot and it seems that Greensboro would be the better fit but that is just what you read on the internet and we all know that isn't always the right information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,619 posts, read 62,475,606 times
Reputation: 32402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad0811 View Post
I am a 43 year old professional female that works full time from home for a large corporation.
I have no children and a boyfriend who is a diesel mechanic.

I have been to both Greensboro and Winston Salem before but only to visit
I'm looking for advice prior to my visit to narrow down the areas

I don't need to worry about employment. My better half works full time as diesel mechanic
and runs a shop now - he would be happy in any decent area he can find work.
It sounds to me then that this last point will become the deciding factor.
As with most relocations living near or at least convenient to work counts.

Quote:
The only issue I come with is I have a german shepherd/lab mix -2 1/2 year old-
And when you narrow that job issue down to look for a house to rent.
One with a nice fenced yard.

Quote:
Here is a list of questions I'd like help with...
I've researched a lot and it seems that Greensboro would be the better fit...
There are no solid objective answers...
both cities really are neck and neck in all the basic common aspects.

At the subjective level (what you read on the internet) I prefer Winston
but I suspect there will be more chances of him finding a job closer to Greensboro.

Finding the right job for a mature experienced guy who has been the boss? Tough.
Especially if he wants/expects to get that or make good money right off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 AM
 
9 posts, read 9,758 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for your responses.

I actually make enough money that he can just go back to being a mechanic (which he is looking forward - being the boss comes with a lot of stress).

I have been searching a lot of threads and from that have really gravitated to Winston Salem.

Does anyone know of a good realtor that handles houses rentals in either area?

Thank you again for your response. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2015, 04:17 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,344,412 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad0811 View Post
Hi Everyone-
I am a 43 year old professional female that works full time from home for a large corporation. I have no children and a boyfriend who is a diesel mechanic. I'm from upstate NY and am relocating in a few months. I have been to both Greensboro and Winston Salem before but only to visit - not looking to live. I'm looking for advice prior to my visit to narrow down the areas to go to - so I would appreciate any help.

As I said - I work full time from home so I don't need to worry about employment. My better half works full time as diesel mechanic and runs a shop now - he would be happy in any decent area he can find work.

I've owned my own home for several years so the thought of living in an "apartment complex" is not very appealing. I'd like to rent a house or half a duplex etc. The only issue I come with is I have a german shepherd/lab mix -2 1/2 year old- and I know so many places allow dogs except certain breeds and german shepherds are one of them (even though he is half/half- he looks like a shepherd with short hair). I have no children so I don't need to worry about schools. Once I live here for awhile - I'll be looking to purchase but I would just prefer to rent for now.

Here is a list of questions I'd like help with. Even if you can only answer 1 or 2 - any help would much appreciated.

Which city is the "safer" of the two?
Which city would be more suitable for a "diesel mechanic" to find employment?
Which city would be better for someone looking to rent a house/duplex vs buy?
Is 900-1000 a month rent reasonable for either area?
Suggestions on specific areas within each City would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help. I've researched a lot and it seems that Greensboro would be the better fit but that is just what you read on the internet and we all know that isn't always the right information.
The no answer answer is both cities are so closely matched either one is a good choice, this includes commuting from one to the other for work. There are several trucking companies in the area, some truck stops east of Greensboro, as well factory/independent shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 06:48 AM
 
9 posts, read 9,758 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM
 
149 posts, read 202,421 times
Reputation: 79
quick note on Guilford County and dogs...dogs cannot be left tied up outside. So you might want to look for a rental with a fenced yard.

In Winston-Salem and Guilford County...you can easily find rentals in semi-rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 AM
 
9 posts, read 9,758 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you so much. My dog is so spoiled he will only go out with me anyway. I go to the door - he is right there. I definitely would prefer a fenced yard though.

Does anyone have any realtors they would recommend I contact?

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
 
Location: North Greensboro
846 posts, read 1,036,075 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The no answer answer is both cities are so closely matched either one is a good choice, this includes commuting from one to the other for work. There are several trucking companies in the area, some truck stops east of Greensboro, as well factory/independent shops.
this, Only true difference i can think of is that Greensboro has more people..and that's about it. both are excellent cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,954,769 times
Reputation: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by booney56 View Post
quick note on Guilford County and dogs...dogs cannot be left tied up outside. So you might want to look for a rental with a fenced yard.

In Winston-Salem and Guilford County...you can easily find rentals in semi-rural areas.
This is true in Forsyth County as well. North Carolina county passes dog tethering law - The Animal Rescue Site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,623 times
Reputation: 19
I thank you for posting these questions, kad! We also are moving in around that area at the end of the summer here in PA. We're looking at High Point and Winston-Salem. And we, too, had that monthly amount of rent in mind. If you find a good realtor, please pass along!!! Never know, maybe we won't be far from each other! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top