U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 AM

138 posts, read 228,446 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to NC after a few years spent in PA completing education. We previously lived in CH but the new job is in Burlington, so we know a lot about the Triangle but not much about parts northwest of there. We have a few questions if anyone has answers.

- How is traffic on 40/85 these days during standard rush hour?

- If one of us works in downtown Durham, would it be feasible to commute via Amtrak (leave Burlington on the 8:30 train, return on the 5:30 train) or are there too many catches? Can one park in the Burlington Amtrak parking lot day after day?

- If not Amtrak, are there a substantial number of Durham commuters? Could one join/organize a car pool fairly easily?

- Are there any neighborhoods currently stocked with an unusual number of young families? I grew up on a street with several other kids my age and it was really nice.

- Do more properties tend to come on the rental market at a certain point in the year? Elon graduation? July?

- How are Internet speeds and prices? What about in areas south of the highway?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Train leaves Burlington at 9:01 AM, gets to Durham at 9:42. Leaves Durham at 5:24 PM, gets to Burlington at 6:01. If the times work, I'd rather do that drive.

Train & Bus Tickets - National Railroad - USA & Canada | Amtrak

Old 04-06-2015, 10:10 AM

I think it would be like, work from home for an hour, head to the train station, catch the train, work on the train, then repeat on the way back. The main questions would be (a) does the train run reliably and (b) do I think I'd really get good work done? I would prefer not to spend over an hour every day driving if I don't have to.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 PM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
Why not split the difference? Have you looked at Mebane or Hillsborough? Do you have kids and are schools a concern? Alamance Burlington Schools do not have a great rep (Burlington, most of Mebane), but Orange County Schools are generally regarded as quite good (a small part of Mebane & Hillsborough). Both Mebane and Hillsborough have cute downtown areas. Probably a little more going on in Hillsborough, but Mebane has definitely been picking up steam lately.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 PM

Mebane and Efland are definitely in the running. Hillsborough is too far from the Burlington job.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 PM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
On google it looks like Hillsborough to Burlington is about 25 min and Hillsborough to Durham is about 15. Mebane just reverses it. Mebane to Burlington=15, Mebane to Durham=25. I have not driven it, but I'd say that sounds about right. Personally, I'd probably rather live in Hillsborough, but I do know some folks who live in Mebane and seem to like it. I have a friend who lives on a farm with an Efland address, but I've never actually been in the town part of Efland, so couldn't advise on that.

If you have kids or plan to have kids, the school issue is something you really might want to think about. Orange County schools get generally good scores (better than state averages) and homes w/in the Orange County district may have a better resale value. Taxes are also higher in Orange County (perhaps something to do with those good schools). Folks I know who have had their kids in Alamance Burlington schools don't have a whole lot great to say about them. They score below the state average as a district on all measures. You can look up school scores on NC Report Card. Note that all school scores across the state went down because they changed the testing due to Common Core.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:37 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
We live in Chapel Hill and my husband commutes to Burlington. It takes 45 minutes. He would love to live in Hillsborough which would make the commute about 30 minutes. We did NOT move to Burlington because of the schools (mostly), among other reasons. I, too, have heard not great things about Alamance schools. I agree with Poppydog, and would move to Hillsborough. It's a very nice town and has a decent location for commuting to both Burlington and Durham. Burlington isn't BAD, but it's not very appealing either (to me, at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or