Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 88,141 times

Advertisements

Chardent,

WOW- it must be a small world! Actually, I haven't matched yet and CMC is on my list...lol. I actually did a month there recently and it was great...done with all my interviews and I'm trying to decide between CMC, Wake Forest, and VCU in Richmond....I do love Charlotte...just not sure about a community based program....Please feel free to offer more advice/opinions. This is a tough decision for me. Anyway- THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM

45 posts, read 207,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporti View Post
Chardent,

WOW- it must be a small world! Actually, I haven't matched yet and CMC is on my list...lol. I actually did a month there recently and it was great...done with all my interviews and I'm trying to decide between CMC, Wake Forest, and VCU in Richmond....I do love Charlotte...just not sure about a community based program....Please feel free to offer more advice/opinions. This is a tough decision for me. Anyway- THANKS!

Again, if a community program ain't what you want, don't even list CMC. You're going to work like a dog no matter what. Actually, you're going to do the work of 2 dogs. But at least CMC does strive to balance things. Some programs are better than others.

FWIW, CMC tends to attract very attractive female residents. Just floating that out there...

Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,679 times
I also work at the Med Ctr, and you will find most of your friends there. The people there have been great, by and large, and we've found it hard to meet a lot of extra people with shared interests and backgrounds outside the Med Ctr. As others have stated, the arts are really quite good here, with some unique influences. And, I highly recommend living close to the Med Ctr, e.g. Ardmore--more of your friends are likely to be there.

fwiw, I prefer the atmosphere in Winston Salem to Charlotte--Charlotte is growing so fast and so spread out, and even though they have banking jobs and money coming in, I wasn't as impressed with some of their museums as I am with what we have in WS. Although, perhaps the economy is better in Charlotte, if you did have a significant other who wanted to find work, that would make a difference to her.

I'm married, but my single girlfriends seem to have a hard time finding someone educated and decent, so you might be a good catch for some of the girls--around here; I'm sure and MD is sought after. Good luck on matching--I know it's stressful!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,499 times
Hi there,

I am in a very similar situation as you- interviewed for IM at Wake, and very much enjoyed my time there. However I share your concern/question about being a single in Winston-Salem- even the residents mentioned it as a factor to consider. Have you heard anything else besides what is posted thus far? Kind of funny that our rank lists are due in 2 days, and I'm till on the fence. Thanks so much and good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 88,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth7 View Post
Hi there,

I am in a very similar situation as you- interviewed for IM at Wake, and very much enjoyed my time there. However I share your concern/question about being a single in Winston-Salem- even the residents mentioned it as a factor to consider. Have you heard anything else besides what is posted thus far? Kind of funny that our rank lists are due in 2 days, and I'm till on the fence. Thanks so much and good luck!
I know what you are going through...lol. All I have heard is more of the same....good place for families..blah...blah...blah. I think that it probably IS kind of a boring spot for folks looking for the kind of "energy" you might find in a large city....but....with that said.... Honestly, I have a hard time eliminating it though because the program is great and the facilities...well, I think the medical center speaks for itself. I might just be too chicken to take a leap of faith...lol. By the way, Have you heard anything about Virginia Commonwealth University?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,499 times
Haven't really heard anything about VCU - sorry! Totally know what you mean- Wake's program is great, residents seem to like it there, they do well after finishing residency, etc. I just can't completely separate it from its' location. My other frontrunner is Nashville...we'll see. Looking forward to Wednesday night (i.e. can't mess with the list anymore).

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,549,726 times
I grew up in Winston-Salem and have lived in Charlotte for the last 16 years. BOTH are great cities. The economy is much stronger in Charlotte and there are alot more single professionals in Charlotte than anywhere in NC. Much more to do. Better shopping & restaurants & nightlife. Some people like smaller cities and that is OK. Winston-Salem is a GREAT place.

On the flip side. Traffic is worse than W-S, GSO, and HP all put together and doubled!

There is no recession in Charlotte. Malls and shopping centers are packed and people are spending. Car lots selling lots of cars. Many many multi-million dollar homes going up a dime a dozen and selling like hot cakes. If there is a recession in Charlotte you would not know it.

GOOD LUCK! You can't go wrong with either city!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,292 times
Default Winston or Charlotte

I know it has been a long time since you posted, but did you end up in Winston or Charlotte? I was in a very similar situation - from New Orleans and deciding on Winston or Charlotte - I had very similar things I wanted in a city and similar concerns about meeting young professionals in a small town...

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM

22 posts, read 34,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
From my subjective viewpoint, I would not be happy living here as a single. I have said it more than once to my husband that this place would be awful for a young, single person. I also find it strange for a city with a few colleges that it doesn't feel like a college town at all. I rarely see that age group downtown. I actually rarely see people downtown and I can't figure that out either because I think it is pretty cute. I just haven't figured out how a place with so many amenities still kind of stinks...Our first year here, we thought we could handle raising our children and settling into this area. Now it is our second year and we are desperately trying to figure out an exit plan and where it should be.....Don't get me wrong, you can get out of this place what you need and for you it is a great career! For us, it was a house to raise our children, affordable cost of living and a career for my husband. I don't think you would be completely miserable here since you will have so many other more important things going on in your life. If you were going through that "I just graduated from college and got dumped by my significant other quarter-life crisis" - I would tell you to run away from Winston-Salem.
I am from there and left after I graduated college. Been happy ever since.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,524,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83mercury View Post
I am from there and left after I graduated college. Been happy ever since.
Good grief!!!!! You're digging up and replying to a 5 year old post. And you said you have no beef with W-S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point