U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:22 AM

124 posts, read 140,538 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

So I need some help....my girlfriend and I are planning an overnight trip to the Greensboro area in a couple of weeks and I need some suggestions on what we could do here or see. Are there any fun things, sights, attractions for a young couple? Any good restaurant suggestions and also anything to avoid around here?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM

528 posts, read 452,838 times
Greensboro:
- Elm St. Downtown
- Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Park (nice to stroll around, especially during the spring)
- Friendly Center (for shopping)

Good restaurants:
- Crafted! Art of the Taco (Downtown casual)
- Green Valley Grill / Print Works Bistro (near Friendly Center ; somewhat upscale but not too formal)

I would also recommend highly taking a trip to Winston-Salem, which is only 25 miles or so from Greensboro and has some really nice areas for a couple. In Winston-Salem, you could visit Old Salem and eat at the delicious Salem Tavern, tour the Downtown Arts District on Trade St., stroll down W-S's main cultural street, 4th St. as well as the West End neighborhood, and visit the awesome Reynolda Gardens/Reynolda Village area in northern W-S (also a great place for a young couple).

Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Can you be a little more specific about what kinds of things you're want to "see or do"?

For restaurants: Undercurrent, Table 16, Southern Lights, 1618 Seafood Grill, Liberty Oak, Saffron, Saigon.

GoTriad is a pretty good source of info:

News-Record.com: GoTriad

Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,530,952 times
I agree, a little more detail would be helpful. Do you like art? Music? Nature? What's your thing?

(And I love Winston, but see absolutely no reason to make the trip if you'll be in Greensboro. There's plenty to do there.)

Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the timely responses. To answer some questions here....We are in to nature walks (her for the cardio and me for the picture taking!) Music wise...we are into smooth jazz, classical jazz, etc). The arts...maybe, if there is something in the downtown areas with some nice cultural aspects to it, we are good and also some places with a nice vibe and energy is what we are looking for!

Hopefully this helps!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM

149 posts, read 201,531 times
Bur-Mil Park on Lake Brandt has lots of trails. Greenway is along the lake, lots of good pics waiting to be taken.

Country Day Park is nice, and is next to Greensboro Science Center. (it has a small zoo...with penguins!!)

Walking down South Elm is alway interesting. There are some great older buildings and interesting shops.

Go on-line to find what galleries are open downtown.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 AM

A walk at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park would be nice. Weatherspoon Art Gallery at UNC-Greensboro might be fun for you and maybe thye Gallery at Greenhill downtown. Spend some time downtown exploring art galleries, antique stores along S. Elm Street, Center City Park, go to a minor league baseball game (if the Grasshoppers are in town). There's live theater at Triad Stage (Crimes of the Heart starts tonight).

Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM

Nice! Thank you all for these suggestions! Quick question...is parking free in downtown Greensboro?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Nice! Thank you all for these suggestions! Quick question...is parking free in downtown Greensboro?
Yes and no. There are meters on the streets, although I think there is some on street parking on the periphery that is free. City parking decks are free for the first hour, 75 cents per hour after that. Also free entry between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM. After 9:00 PM there is a flat $2 entry charge.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:54 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,911 times
The Arboretum is beautiful this time of year.

Greensboro Arboretum | Greensboro Beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point