U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Reputation: 12062

Advertisements

I have been thinking/planning to move to NC (starting point Winston Salem) and have decided to sell/donate my furniture, etc and moving with personal items, cat, TV, and computer (has to fit in my Corolla or does not go). I would like to start out in a furnished apartment. That way, if I find the area I have chosen isn't what I hoped it to be that I can easily move again until I find the "right" spot for me.
I'm a single senior retired woman who still has a lot of life to live and curiosity to satisfy. Being on a fixed income, I do need to be careful of costs.
Hope to hear from others what their experience has been, did it work out OK, are the reasonably priced furnished apartments clean? In safe neighborhood? etc.
My sister (older) is terminal. Hospice involved so not a lot of time left. So will not leave until she has passed. I have family here (niece and my daughter) but they prefer to not have a relationship with me. So there is really nothing to keep me here except my sister.
I'm visiting W-S area in May (third visit) and hope to get more information.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,864,124 times
Reputation: 6379
I used www.homeaway.com with good results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Reputation: 12062
Thank you golfingduo. I'll give that a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 01:04 PM
 
10,824 posts, read 8,090,324 times
Reputation: 17038
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I used www.homeaway.com with good results.
I agree.
OP, be sure to look for and ask about a possible reduction for renting monthly instead of weekly. Most listers will give a discount even if there's not one advertised. Also keep in mind that almost always the Homeaway rental price includes paid utilities and internet/cable but be sure to clarify upfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Reputation: 12062
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I agree.
OP, be sure to look for and ask about a possible reduction for renting monthly instead of weekly. Most listers will give a discount even if there's not one advertised. Also keep in mind that almost always the Homeaway rental price includes paid utilities and internet/cable but be sure to clarify upfront.

Thank you for that information.

People on the forum seem to have a good amount of information that help those of us who need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,616 posts, read 1,321,768 times
Reputation: 4249
Winston/Salem isn't western nc. We retired in Asheville and love it. Hendersonville is also very retiree friendly. Black mountain is beautiful. Many nice places here--I don't know about rentals but there are is a lot building, including apartments. It seems that this harsh winter up north has spurred a flurry on the real estate market. I was down in Biltmore village yesterday at lunch talking to
the next table over. An agent and her clients-- they said that that it had been an especially busy Easter holiday for people looking at homes and lots. Not usual at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Reputation: 12062
Default W-S is not western NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Winston/Salem isn't western nc. We retired in Asheville and love it. Hendersonville is also very retiree friendly. Black mountain is beautiful. Many nice places here--I don't know about rentals but there are is a lot building, including apartments. It seems that this harsh winter up north has spurred a flurry on the real estate market. I was down in Biltmore village yesterday at lunch talking to
the next table over. An agent and her clients-- they said that that it had been an especially busy Easter holiday for people looking at homes and lots. Not usual at all.
Hmm, I've heard it referred to as that.

May not have mentioned this, but I am not in the buying market. I'm looking for a furnished apartment. Fixed income (not a big retirement). Keeps me from the expensive life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,616 posts, read 1,321,768 times
Reputation: 4249
Default I think that you should be able to find what

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Hmm, I've heard it referred to as that.

May not have mentioned this, but I am not in the buying market. I'm looking for a furnished apartment. Fixed income (not a big retirement). Keeps me from the expensive life.
You want here in nc. There are many on the nc forums trying to discourage newcomers- don't listen to them. There are so many free and not expensive beautiful things to enjoy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Reputation: 12062
Default funisart

That is what I have heard. Nice place to live. I like a simple life and think I will find what I am looking for once I get there. Have visited 3-4 times, going again in a few weeks. NC is a beautiful state and like the idea of being in between the mountains and the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top