U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 13,044 times

Advertisements

OK, I am a W-S native, but I haven't lived there since I was a kid. We now live in MD, outside DC and are looking to relocate in the next couple years. We have a 4 year old. I was debating moving to Charlotte or Raleigh area, and we still may, but my family is in Winston, my parents are getting older and I think that is the most likely place we will end up. We have really top-notch schools here, so it is difficult for me to think about leaving here unless I can find a situation where I feel as comfortable with my daughter's future education.

I am also thinking about what we would lose in terms of eating out, entertainment options and shopping. I know you just have to look a little harder for these things in the South. I don't think finding a job will be an issue for either of us, once we decide where we want to be.

Please help me untangle all this in my brain and give me your best suggestions in terms of schools. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,819,933 times
In the W-S area there are lots of very good elementary schools...Whitaker, Sherwood Forest, Lewisville, Clemmons.

W-S, and the Triad, are very family friendly with multiple childrens museums, minor league and college sports, malls, thriving downtowns, arts programs, etc. Obviously not the level of DC, but plenty of people find it to be a fun, stimulating, safe place to live.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 04-22-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 AM

2,653 posts, read 6,094,247 times
West Forsyth, Reagan, Reynolds, and Mt. Tabor high schools in Forsyth Co. are among the best in the state. There's also a very strong magnet program, and the Career Center offers a ton of advanced placement courses in addition to vocational subjects.

Regarding entertainment, as you may know W-S is known as the City of the Arts. You'll find plenty of arts and entertainment offerings here.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
There's no doubt that you'll sacrifice quantity when it comes to restaurants, but the restaurants in Winston are definitely quality. For a city its size, it's got lots of great options. If you haven't spent time in the area lately, you should come check it out. It's a different town than it was 10-20 years ago. Lots of good entertainment options too, depending on what you're into.

Shopping? I don't know. I'm not a big shopper myself. There seem to be good options, though. Again, it all depends on what you're into. But if nothing else, the cost of living improvement over the DC area means that an occasional shopping trip to other locales isn't unreasonable.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM

528 posts, read 453,703 times
Best Elementary School in W-S: Brunson

Best Middle School: Hanes

Best High School: Early College of Forsyth

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 AM

10,694 posts, read 11,333,530 times
If you're asking about the Triad as a whole, there are always several Greensboro schools that seem to do well on those lists. Here's the latest I've seen from the Washington Post's Most Challenging Schools: North Carolina Schools - The Washington Post

You can look at the districts' and individual schools' scores on NC Report Card. Note that the scores are low across the state because they recently changed the tests.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM

45 posts, read 62,525 times
Other good private school options are Summit School and Salem Montessori School. Good luck with your move.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 PM

14 posts, read 9,626 times
As someone fleeing NC, and it's choice program and it's controversies and what it's created...(thought I'd disclose that bias early!)...My VERY best advice to you is this: on your visits over the next year/two talk to parents at parks when you're here. (Parks like Polo, Hanes, Tanglewood, Hathaway to name a few). Ask THEM these questions; hear their first hand experiences of living in and attending their residential schools (the ones they're assigned to) or their zoned schools (ones they choose), or their magnet schools (like Brunson, Moore, etc that you can choose as well, but are closer to downtown & farther away from your home). Then when it's time for a move here do not hesitate to rent, rent, rent until you KNOW exactly where your want to buy. Around here reselling a 'mistake' purchase is not guaranteed and usually takes time.

From what you've said...sounds like you'd be happiest on the West or North side of Winston. You'd be within 20min of your parents -- wherever they happen to be in W-S -- and should you not like the shopping options in W-S, you always have Charlotte for IKEA, etc. However,...if you/your spouse's job is in Greensboro, commute would be all that much longer.

Although, please realize that if you really want the BEST education for your child, the nugget of truth no one will tell you is that you just have to wait and see what kind of kid you have! Meaning even my younger son thrives in a totally different environment from my older son; they are just wired differently. I have friends who tested into & tried Brunson (an HAG school) and HAAAATED it. Numbers mean nothing if it's not a good fit for the child, their interests, their personality, and the family's values. There is no straight path to the right schools for each child; it's a zig-zag path.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 PM

14 posts, read 9,626 times
Also,...
You should also read up to become more familiar with the public/private/charter education controversies that are going on here before moving here...you MAY want to consider living over the border in VA. I'm not joking. The "spending per pupil" in Cave Spring VA is 11-12k versus WSFCS at about 9-10k (last I checked) and it's only an hour 45min drive. And you're coming from DC area schools which are like 15-17k!? I'm moving our family back to PA this fall where the spending level is 12-13k and teachers are treated with more respect. And you wouldn't dream how the older people complain in the local townhalls about how NC spends "too much" on education.

Don't mean to scare, alarm, or overwhelm where you already said you were "tangled" up, but that's the reality as I've experienced it here. They just do not value their teachers and teachers CAN'T strike. And the money flow matters in NC as well. The state boards typically create a 'formula' that disperses the money back to the counties/students, but studies have found that NC is one of the least equitable in the US, plus the amounts are lower too.

And that's a separate issue from how the school buildings are funded, which is locally...so the school board says a new school needs built because the student attendance is rising...too bad. They just have the school put more "POD/trailers" out back...go tour even an '8' or '9' rated school and see it for yourself. I had never seen anything like it til I moved here.

Then there's always private as an option...NC is making it so that those who can afford it feel they HAVE to do it, to 'do right by their kids'...but it's the NC General Assembly who's defunded education so badly that that's the climate they've created. You may feel I'm being to 'political' but know this...in North Carolina, education IS political. Isn't that sad?

All the best in your decision making! Truly.

Last edited by NatureLovinMom; 05-19-2015 at 11:55 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 01:27 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLovinMom View Post
Also,...
You should also read up to become more familiar with the public/private/charter education controversies that are going on here before moving here...you MAY want to consider living over the border in VA. I'm not joking. The "spending per pupil" in Cave Spring VA is 11-12k versus WSFCS at about 9-10k (last I checked) and it's only an hour 45min drive. And you're coming from DC area schools which are like 15-17k!? I'm moving our family back to PA this fall where the spending level is 12-13k and teachers are treated with more respect. And you wouldn't dream how the older people complain in the local townhalls about how NC spends "too much" on education.

Don't mean to scare, alarm, or overwhelm where you already said you were "tangled" up, but that's the reality as I've experienced it here. They just do not value their teachers and teachers CAN'T strike. And the money flow matters in NC as well. The state boards typically create a 'formula' that disperses the money back to the counties/students, but studies have found that NC is one of the least equitable in the US, plus the amounts are lower too.

And that's a separate issue from how the school buildings are funded, which is locally...so the school board says a new school needs built because the student attendance is rising...too bad. They just have the school put more "POD/trailers" out back...go tour even an '8' or '9' rated school and see it for yourself. I had never seen anything like it til I moved here.

Then there's always private as an option...NC is making it so that those who can afford it feel they HAVE to do it, to 'do right by their kids'...but it's the NC General Assembly who's defunded education so badly that that's the climate they've created. You may feel I'm being to 'political' but know this...in North Carolina, education IS political. Isn't that sad?

All the best in your decision making! Truly.
All this doesn't mean that there aren't excellent schools found all over the state of NC. You can't really rate an entire state's schools like that, when each individual school can be ranked anywhere from poor to excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point