Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Let's compare to other successful arenas in larger cities:

Philips Arena, Atlanta - 18 open dates in June, 26 in July
American Airlines Arena, Miami - 26 open dates in June, 27 in July
Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte - 26 open dates in June, 27 in July
Madison Square Garden, NYC - 14 open dates in June, 22 in July

See a pattern? Even in the busiest months in the busiest arenas there are several open dates. This is not uncommon. I would say Greensboro is doing quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:

See a pattern? Even in the busiest months in the busiest arenas there are several open dates. This is not uncommon. I would say Greensboro is doing quite well.
I'd say every facility in that list would welcome with open arms a chance to fill some of those empty dates, especially those with multi-million dollar operational deficits.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'd say every facility in that list would welcome with open arms a chance to fill some of those empty dates, especially those with multi-million dollar operational deficits.
I'm sure they would, but to criticize GSO for having open dates - something that is very common - and that GSO is better at than most - is going a little overboard. It seems to be the nature of the business, with even MSG in NYC having about as many open dates as GSO.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 PM

The coliseum that had no empty dates would have a hard time keeping their event recruiting staff.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:

I don't think open dates is a good gauge at the financial stability of an arena. I know you're not the one who asserted it, but perhaps a D league team could be garuanteed revenue vs. Say Disney on Ice?

It may not be sexy to have a D-league team, but if its revenue in the pocket, take it. Other events might not be as lucrative as far as profit goes?

It really is a very poor way to define "successful" (if by successful one means profitable)

Old 06-06-2015, 08:46 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
I'm sure they would, but to criticize GSO for having open dates - something that is very common - and that GSO is better at than most - is going a little overboard.
I didn't.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:06 AM

743 posts, read 825,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Not mention that Phillips,AA & TWC are operated by their respective NBA teams who are responsible for operational deficit's & MSG is privately owned.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Not mention that Phillips,AA & TWC are operated by their respective NBA teams who are responsible for operational deficit's & MSG is privately owned.
Not to mention that Phillips, American Airlines, Time Warner Cable are title sponsors and pay huge sums for their namesake prominently displayed on their respective arenas.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
NBA D League hoops coming to Greensboro. The Charlotte Hornets have chosen Greensboro as home for its D-League Team The pavilion at the Greensboro Coliseum will be converted into a field house style basketball arena. Greensboro will expand the league to 20 teams. Greensboro's team will be owned and operated by the Charlotte Hornets.

Charlotte Hornets choose Greensboro as home for new D-league team - Greensboro News & Record: Local News

This will be Greensboro's third stint at hosting a proffessional basketball team. From 1969 to 1974 Greensboro was home to the ABA Carolina Cougars which at the time was considered major league and was in direct competition with the NBA until the ABA and NBA merged. Some old ABA teams like the Indiana Pacers survived the merge and moved to the NBA. In the early 1990s The Greensboro City Gaters were a charter member of the Global Basketball Association and featured league MVP Lloyd Daniels.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-19-2017 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Now I wonder what the name of the team will be called. BTW ESPN will be broadcasting regular season games and CBS Sports broadcasts the playoffs so its one of the very few minor league sports/franchises to get national televised exposure. The NBA D League is equivalent to AAA baseball being that its the highest level of minor league basketball. It appears is though the idea of using the regional concept hosting games at different venues across the Triad has been abandoned. The coliseum will host its first minor league team since arena2 football in the early 2000s. Now if we can only bring a hockey team back. It would likely be affiliated with the Carolina Hurricanes.

The pavilion at the coliseum will require extensive renovations including a permanent roof. Hotel/motel tax will likely pay for those renovations. The seating will include 2,500 seats. The coliseum will have three arenas. The big arena which seat 23,500 and two spaces that will serves as mini arenas ( The Pavilion and the Special Events Center).

The special events center already serves as a mini arena

The Pavilion will need major upgrades and this will all be done before Greensboro's NBA D League team play in the 2016 season.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-19-2017 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: hotlinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point