U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 PM

4,582 posts, read 4,402,977 times

Advertisements

High Point could become the third major Triad city to build a downtown ballpark. The stadium would seat close to half of what the downtown ballparks in Greensboro and Winston-Salem seat.

Downtown High Point ballpark proposal announced | myfox8.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:43 PM

823 posts, read 1,018,387 times
Nice High point!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Read: High Point is going to build a baseball stadium; the city will not be able to afford or willing to pay the upkeep and will sell the facility to HPU.
BTW, building the stadium in one of the worst parts of the city? No thanks!

Old 05-06-2015, 11:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
I'm not sure a baseball stadium is the way to go for High Point. I would rather come up with something my two closes neighbors hadn't already done.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
So would the HiToms play there? The article says they would continue to use Finch Field. Summer college ball has a pretty short season. I don't know how the Dash and Grasshoppers do financially, but High Point would definitely need to keep a new facility like this busy more than the ~30 or so home games per year. That being said, as a baseball fan, I'd love to see it happen.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:54 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
The article actually isn't clear about how they would use Finch and this new facility. It's fairly confusing.

Quote:
Suire said the baseball team would not leave Finch Field in Thomasville. The two facilities would better serve the expansion of the HiToms programs and camps.

“We’re going to keep that relationship; we just feel like right now going forward we may be able to make more of an impact in new downtown ballpark,” Suire said.
Either way, it seems clear that this is a different sort of proposal from what's going on in WS and GSO. Smaller facility. Multi-Use. On one hand, it seems like if they keep costs down, it could maybe a nice addition to HP. Especially if they leverage as much private money as possible.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM

62 posts, read 58,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Read: High Point is going to build a baseball stadium; the city will not be able to afford or willing to pay the upkeep and will sell the facility to HPU.
BTW, building the stadium in one of the worst parts of the city? No thanks!
Couldn't have said it better myself. City will come to Nido for help and HPU will get a new ballpark at a discount price. Can't say I agree on the location, either.

Such a shame HPU can't budge on the mall with Dillard's and Sears as stalemate. Prime location.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 4,402,977 times
A smaller stadium such as this is a better fit for High Point than something the size of Greensboro and W-S's ballparks. High Point does need to move up a tier in the minor leagues, at least a higher single A. However I think it should be built with private dollars.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
A smaller stadium such as this is a better fit for High Point than something the size of Greensboro and W-S's ballparks. High Point does need to move up a tier in the minor leagues, at least a higher single A.
Do you realize that the GSO Grasshoppers are single A and the WS Dash are A-advanced, or "high A"? So why would High Point push to compete directly with either? The HiToms are a collegiate summer league team, unaffiliated with MiLB, and there are several tiers of the minors between where they are and single A (including short-season and rookie leagues).

Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. City will come to Nido for help and HPU will get a new ballpark at a discount price. Can't say I agree on the location, either.

Such a shame HPU can't budge on the mall with Dillard's and Sears as stalemate. Prime location.
I never heard the specifics of the mall sale. Are you saying Sears & Dillards still own their respective spaces? I'm aware Sears, JC Penny, and Belk are gone and Dillards closed the 2nd level and was an outlet store.
The same thing happened with Simeon stadium; High Point built the stadium sold it to Greensboro or Greensboro city schools which eventually wound up as Guilford County School property and I think High Point may have bought it back. But don't quote me on that. At least they were discussing the plan.
HPU doesn't have a baseball stadium and is seriously encroaching into the Washington St area. A little to convenient IMO.
High Point tries to live way beyond it's means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or