Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times

Advertisements

This is huge. Lets hope it happens:

"An Atlanta-based real estate investment group has announced plans for more than 1 million square feet of retail, office, hotel and residential property adjacent to Winston-Salem's downtown ballpark.

The proposed development by Brand Properties, called the Brookstown District at BB&T Ballpark, would include 300,000 square feet of retail, 300,000 square feet of office space, 250 hotel rooms and 580 luxury residential flats.

The development likely would include a mix of entertainment, lodging, residential and retail, possibly including a grocery store and restaurants, according to a news release."

Full story here:

Huge downtown W-S development would include hotel and retail, office, residential space - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Nice concept, but they're taking away all the parking spaces for the baseball games!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Nice concept, but they're taking away all the parking spaces for the baseball games!
Are those parking garages in the rendering? Both in the foreground to the left and directly connected to the stadium?

And this is a good development. I like filling in that space, connecting the ballpark with downtown just a little bit more. I am starting to get just a little worried about the sheer amount of upscale apartment/condo development going on all at once right now, but I doubt folks would be pushing to build it if it wasn't getting sold/leased.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Are those parking garages in the rendering? Both in the foreground to the left and directly connected to the stadium?

And this is a good development. I like filling in that space, connecting the ballpark with downtown just a little bit more. I am starting to get just a little worried about the sheer amount of upscale apartment/condo development going on all at once right now, but I doubt folks would be pushing to build it if it wasn't getting sold/leased.
The building on the right looks like a parking deck with commercial space wrapped around it, and then a second deck on the far left.

That much retail and office space seems very aggressive to me.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:

I've been reading about a sharp increase in demand for downtown residential in Winston-Salem for a couple of years now. I even heard that Novare in Atlanta was looking at W-S for development of another Skyhouse. It's a hot market right now, and every new development sells out very quickly.

That area is also lacking in retail. A grocery store will be great there - the first full service grocer for downtown W-S. This was all planned years ago but never happened due to the recession.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The building on the right looks like a parking deck with commercial space wrapped around it, and then a second deck on the far left.
Right, but what's that immediately adjacent to the ballpark? Office space? I'd heard office space was planned there pre-recession, so maybe they're trying again.

And looking at the map, there actually won't be all that much parking lost. Even a reasonably small garage would make up for it.

Quote:
That much retail and office space seems very aggressive to me.
Does it? Maybe a little. However, with the Link Apartments right next door, plus tenants, office workers and hotel guests from this venue, there's a built-in contingent of new customers. Plus, the right retail could convince people to come early for the game and make an afternoon of it.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've been reading about a sharp increase in demand for downtown residential in Winston-Salem for a couple of years now. I even heard that Novare in Atlanta was looking at W-S for development of another Skyhouse. It's a hot market right now, and every new development sells out very quickly.
Oh, there's definitely demand, but with the Link, the Edge, and all of the loft space near the WFIQ coming online at the same time (and all stalking the $1000+ renters), it seems like a lot to soak up all at once. But I guess by the time this development is ready to roll, the market will have leveled out.

Quote:
That area is also lacking in retail. A grocery store will be great there - the first full service grocer for downtown W-S. This was all planned years ago but never happened due to the recession.
Absolutely. A grocery store is a good call. There are tons clumped together in the Cloverdale/Miller/Thruway area but, as you say, none closer to downtown. There isn't even one along Peter's Creek for quite a ways.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Right, but what's that immediately adjacent to the ballpark? Office space? I'd heard office space was planned there pre-recession, so maybe they're trying again.

And looking at the map, there actually won't be all that much parking lost. Even a reasonably small garage would make up for it.

Does it? Maybe a little. However, with the Link Apartments right next door, plus tenants, office workers and hotel guests from this venue, there's a built-in contingent of new customers. Plus, the right retail could convince people to come early for the game and make an afternoon of it.
The building adjacent to the right field fence looks like an office building to me?

No doubt the total parking will increase over the surface lot thats there now, but I wonder how much, if any, will be available for baseball patrons. There's no financial connection between the team and this development group, that I'm aware of.

300,000 sf is a LOT of retail, especially in that location.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The building adjacent to the right field fence looks like an office building to me?
That would make sense. Hard to tell from the rendering. Like I say, I remember someone saying that was planned for office space.

Quote:
No doubt the total parking will increase over the surface lot thats there now, but I wonder how much, if any, will be available for baseball patrons. There's no financial connection between the team and this development group, that I'm aware of.
True, but I'm sure a smart planner would at least factor in some pay parking on game days.

Quote:
300,000 sf is a LOT of retail, especially in that location.
'tis. A grocer would soak up a chunk of that, but that still leaves, say, 240k-280k of space to fill. (Hanes Mall, for comparison, has about 1,550,000 sq ft of leasable space)

Old 05-07-2015, 02:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,713 times
I hope it happens - this would be a nice large scale project for W-S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point