U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:08 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
???????

I'm not trying to tell you anything of the sort, and I have no idea why you'd ask me that, or really what you mean. The Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point Combined Statistical Area (CSA) consists of the following Counties:

Alamance, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Guilford, Randolph, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry and Yadkin Counties.

It is further broken up into 5 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA):

Greensboro/High Point (Guilford, Randolph and Rockingham), Winston-Salem (Forsyth, Davie, Stokes and Yadkin), Thomasville/Lexington (Davidson), Burlington (Alamance) and Mt. Airy (Stokes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...tistical_areas

Edit: I should have used the "CSA" definition in my earlier post (#166)
When I select the link from Mutiny77 post and select areas of the map it shows Alamance county as it's own MSA, CSA or whatever it is. Not going to Wiki. Maybe the map is showing the MSA. Really don't care at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 PM

421 posts, read 292,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It has to do with commuting patterns. The Hampton Roads MSA consists of seven cities all neighboring each other, and Virginia also has that independent city setup (cities are independent and not part of any county) which influences things I'm sure.
I used to live there. I can tell you that people on the Hampton/Newport News side of the water avoid commuting to the Va Beach/Norfolk side of the water like the plague. Traffic at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (caused not necessarily by an abundance of cars, but trucks having to be turned around when going "west"bound since the westbound tunnel has about a foot less clearance than then eastbound tunnel). Most people that live on the Southside (Va Beach, Chesapeake, etc) consider the Peninsula (Hampton/NN/Williamsburg/York County) a whole different world and vice versa.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:06 PM

304 posts, read 158,012 times
Below are reasons why city and county populations are not good comparisons but msa or urbanized area comparison are good comparisons. Atlanta city population is just over 400,000 and charlotte's city population is just over 800,000. This obviously not a good comparison. Fulton county is approximately 1 million and mecklenburg is about the same. Obviously another bad comparison. But atlanta's msa is 5.7 and charlotte's is 2.5 million. This is a good comparison that shows that atl is just over twice the population of cult. The atl urban area is also over twice the size of clt urban area. Another good example. Enough said

Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Below are reasons why city and county populations are not good comparisons but msa or urbanized area comparison are good comparisons. Atlanta city population is just over 400,000 and charlotte's city population is just over 800,000. This obviously not a good comparison. Fulton county is approximately 1 million and mecklenburg is about the same. Obviously another bad comparison. But atlanta's msa is 5.7 and charlotte's is 2.5 million. This is a good comparison that shows that atl is just over twice the population of cult. The atl urban area is also over twice the size of clt urban area. Another good example. Enough said
That's quite simplistic. Noone is arguing to compare city for city or county for county. I was simply saying that it seems relatively arbitrary for Northern Gloucester County, VA to be part of the same MSA as Gates County, NC (the two locations are two hours apart). On the same token, it would be like combining Greensboro and Charlotte and calling it one MSA.

Ultimately, the discussion has been more about what makes an MSA an MSA. For obvious reasons you can't simply compare city to city and county to county. I was simply wondering how one takes such a large area like the Hampton Roads MSA and calls that one MSA while the Triad is two (or even three if you count Alamance) MSAs. I know commuter patterns play a large role, but VERY few people are commuting from Gloucester Courthouse, VA to their job in Norfolk. About the same number make a similar commute to Richmond and I would bet there are even a few that commute to NOVA.

Ultimately, there is no perfect system for comparison which I get.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Looking at it on a county to county basis, which makes the most sense imo, Durham has higher income levels than Forsyth, but not by a lot. The Durham-Chapel Hill MSA number is greatly influenced by the fact that Orange County has the highest income levels in the state.
This all depends on how it's measured. Per capital income in Orange is the highest in the state but household income is highest in Wake and salaries in the Triangle are highest in Durham Co. due to the majority of RTP and Duke being located in Durham County. It's just that people don't necessarily live in the county where they work and some households obviously have more 2 wager earners than others.

If Durham Co. can successfully get its arms around and fix the real and perceived issues with crime and schools, its potential to explode in population are significant and only limited by its tiny size. As it stands now, many people who work in Durham County's higher paying industries choose to live in other Triangle counties.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Given the much stricter annexation laws and presuming that each NC city does not annex any land going forward, and using Raleigh's current density metrics (3153m2: which is the highest in the state for its major cities), the following are the population potentials:

Winston-Salem: 132.45m2 x 3153 = 417,615
Greensboro: 126.52m2 x 3153 = 398,917
Durham: 107.37m2 x 3153 = 338,537

Of course these presumptions are only presumptions and we know that there will be some annexation going forward, etc., but this gives us an idea of each city's potential using a reasonable metric for population density that has already been achieved in NC. The question really is which city or cities will reach their potential? Based on current rates of growth, development and industry, Durham has the most potential and it theoretically can pass Greensboro if Greensboro's growth doesn't pick up. If Durham does pass Greensboro, then it will complete the scenario where both major cities of the Triangle passed both major cities of the Triad since the 1970s. In the 1970 Census, both Greensboro and W-S were larger than both Raleigh and Durham. In that '70 census, the spread among the 4 cities from top to bottom was less than 49,000 people. Today that spread has ballooned to well over 200,000. In the mid 70s, Raleigh passed Winston-Salem. In the early 80s, Raleigh passed Greensboro. In the early 2010s, Durham passed W-S. It's mathematically possible that Durham will pass Greensboro in the 2020s

*areas for each city was pulled from the Census website. I suspect that they are not up to date.*

Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM

815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Well, going by the latest census, greensboro is exactly 8968 people from hitting 300.000.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
That's quite simplistic. Noone is arguing to compare city for city or county for county. I was simply saying that it seems relatively arbitrary for Northern Gloucester County, VA to be part of the same MSA as Gates County, NC (the two locations are two hours apart). On the same token, it would be like combining Greensboro and Charlotte and calling it one MSA.

Ultimately, the discussion has been more about what makes an MSA an MSA. For obvious reasons you can't simply compare city to city and county to county. I was simply wondering how one takes such a large area like the Hampton Roads MSA and calls that one MSA while the Triad is two (or even three if you count Alamance) MSAs. I know commuter patterns play a large role, but VERY few people are commuting from Gloucester Courthouse, VA to their job in Norfolk. About the same number make a similar commute to Richmond and I would bet there are even a few that commute to NOVA.

Ultimately, there is no perfect system for comparison which I get.
Geography. The way Hampton Roads is geographically constrained accounts for that and ensures a level of density and regional connectivity, although obviously not in the same way end to end. Consider the fact that the Hampton Roads urbanized area consists of 1.44M people in 515 square miles, giving it a population density of 2,793 persons per square mile. By contrast, Greensboro's urbanized area consists of 312K persons in 185 square miles (1,684 persons per square mile), High Point's is 166K persons in 113 square miles (1,473 persons per square miles), and Winston-Salem's is 391K persons in 322 square miles (1,212 persons per square miles).

Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 PM

That square mileage doesn't account for the water. Basically, Hampton Roads is relatively dense with suburbia in the areas that are on land. But really, Hampton Roads is a slightly bigger version of the Triad with the James River replacing Kernersville. of course, that gives the area less connectivity. But I do know the land square mileage is a big role. But as far as commuting is concerned, getting from Newport News to Virginia Beach is equivalent to driving from Burlington to Clemmons.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Well, going by the latest census, greensboro is exactly 8968 people from hitting 300.000.
The latest published Census population for Greensboro is the 2015 number: 285,342
I think that updates for 2016 come next month. I am not sure where you are getting your number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or