U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:27 AM

22 posts, read 18,805 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need help, we just bought a house in Oak Ridge and we need information. We live in Stratford, CT now, ( wife and daughter) we'll be there next year but we are getting the house now. I'll be flying down there every month to start our new home so I need to know a few things.

How can I get a driver Lic, Where is the DMV. How long can I keep a CT plate in town.

Best Internet cable company in the area for the house.

Security company for the house and Landscaping for the grass (until I get there full time).

Where is the closest police station and number for Oak Ridge.

Supermarket and Pharmacy, and Hospital in the area.

Hardware stores as Home Depot, Lowes.

My wife will be officialy retired at the end ofthe year from Sirkorky aircraft, she will be working part-time next year. I will be transfer too.

I m a marathon runner, every day early in the morning I hit the road for a few miles, I wonder if there is any problem with traffic.

We are catholic we found a church near, my daugther just got the first comunion in CT last week.

Thanks for your time, we are thrilled to the new area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Honestly, most of what you are looking for can be found online. Here is the website for NC Division of Motor Vehicle's for license information:

NCDOT: License and ID

It looks like the closest drivers license office is "West Greensboro": 2391 Coliseum Boulevard, Greensboro, 27403

Be aware that there are separate offices for driver licenses and car tags.

Time Warner is the only cable company. Other options include Dish TV or Direct TV and sometimes AT&T U-verse.

Here is police and fire information from the town of Oak Ridge's website:

"Oak Ridge Fire Department & Guilford County Sheriff's Department
Residents of the Town of Oak Ridge and within the Oak Ridge Fire District are served by Oak Ridge Fire & Rescue. Station 15 (336-643-3783) is located at 8325 Linville Road, and Station 51 is on Northwest School Road. For more information or to obtain an Open Burning Permit, visit Home. In case of emergency, call 911.

Law enforcement for the Town of Oak Ridge is provided by the Guilford County Sheriff's Office. For more information, visit Welcome to GCSO!. If there is not an emergency, you may also contact the District I office in Summerfield (336-641-2300) Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. In the event of an emergency, dial 911."

Closest hospital is Kernersville Medical Center, ans excellent small hospital thats owned by Novant Health, a very good company. Larger hospitals are in Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Closest Lowes home improvement is probably Kernersville too. There is a Home Depot on Battleground Avenue in northwest Greensboro.

There is also a grocery store chain called Lowe's (gets confusing, lol). They have a store in Oak Ridge. Other stores are in Kernersville, including Harris Teeter, which is more upscale.

For running, you'll have to find some side roads/back roads. I certainly wouldn't run on Hwy 150 or 68. You'll have to watch out for dogs out in the country. Maybe you can run at the Academy's track or around the campus.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,694,870 times
Good advice. Lucky OP. Oak Ridge is so nice.

I would add that Greensboro has excellent greenways for running.

City of Greensboro, NC : Trails & Greenways

Old 05-25-2015, 10:24 AM

thank you very much for the information you gave us. I got a question about the sewers and the dogs. I remember when I was visiting Puerto Rico, the dogs were wild . Can you explain more about the law concerning dogs in Oak Ridge ?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Good advice. Lucky OP. Oak Ridge is so nice.

I would add that Greensboro has excellent greenways for running.

City of Greensboro, NC : Trails & Greenways
Thank you, with my wife and daugther we usually go to Vermont o New Hamphire State to get these trail. Thank you

Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1018 View Post
thank you very much for the information you gave us. I got a question about the sewers and the dogs. I remember when I was visiting Puerto Rico, the dogs were wild . Can you explain more about the law concerning dogs in Oak Ridge ?
Here's a link to the Guilford County Animal Control Ordinance:

http://www.myguilford.com/wp-content...d-11-21-13.pdf

Here's the pertinent section on animals running at large:

"Sec. 5-9. Animals running at large prohibited.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person owning or controlling any animal to allow the same to create
a nuisance or public danger by running at large. It shall be the duty of animal control and/or law
enforcement officers to take up and deliver any domesticated animal (e.g., dog, cat), including
fowl and other domestic animals within the meaning of this ordinance found running at large to
the county animal shelter. Each person owning or controlling an animal, including fowl, shall be
responsible for taking whatever measures are reasonably necessary for keeping the animal on the
owner's premises or under the owner's control when off his premises.

(1) Restraint of animals (in incorporated areas or on less than one acre). It shall be
unlawful for any person owning or having possession, charge, custody or control
of any animal, excluding cats, to keep such animal on or off his premises unless
such animal is under sufficient physical restraint such as a leash, bridle, cage or
similar device which restrains and controls the animal (subject to the provisions
set out in Sec 5-14 of this Chapter), within a vehicle or adequately contained by a
fence on the premises or other secure enclosure. If the owner possesses and
maintains an effective and working invisible fence system to restrain his/her
animals, a visible and permanent sign must be on the premises that states an
invisible fence system is in use.

(2) Restraint of animals (on one acre or more in unincorporated areas).
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) above, animals kept on a lot or
parcel of real property in an unincorporated area one acre or greater in size do not
have to be kept within a fence or other secure enclosure or under any physical
restraint while on such premises. This exemption does not relieve any person of
the duty to prevent his/her animal from constituting a nuisance under section 5-10
below."

If you have questions about water and sewer service, I'd call the town and ask. I imagine it comes from G'boro or Kernersville, or it may septic.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1018 View Post
Oak Ridge is beautiful...it's still sort of rural so if that's what you're looking for you will love it.

I'm not sure what was meant by the dog comment. There is a leash law in Guilford County, but I guess people are more prone to letting their dogs run free in a rural area. It's nothing like Puerto Rico...there aren't wild dogs running around. As far as I know this isn't a major problem in Oak Ridge.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,646 times
Default Welcome to Oak Ridge

Hi, Colonel,

We just moved to Oak Ridge from the Chicago area last December, and we love it! Sounds like your daughter and mine are the same age. If she will be going to Oak Ridge, She will love it.

Regarding running: the Oak Ridge Town Park has a 1-mi path plus trails. It's a beautiful park, but you likely have to drive there from home. Otherwise, plenty of side roads for local running.

DMV: The one in Kernersville (on 150) is the closest, and by far less crowded than any in Greensboro.

Kernersville has several groceries, Target, Lowes (hardware), Walmart and Kohls. Oak Ridge is about equidistant (25-30 min) to Friendly Center in Greensboro, and Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem.

Security company: we got ours bundled with our cable and Internet from Time Warner.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 AM

3,865 posts, read 6,657,887 times
You might also like to check out Greensboro Running Club

Old 05-26-2015, 08:47 AM

149 posts, read 201,371 times
This area is NOT road runner friendly. Heavy traffic, and almost no shoulder.

You don't see many people running on roads here...

There is a great greenway/trail complex at Bur-Mil Park. Various places to access.
(when I say great...I mean fantastic...in the fall there is a trail run (1/2 marathon, marathon, 40 miler) that still does not use all the trails. The greenway there connects to other parks (military , country day)

Salem Lake is west of Kernersville. There is a 7 mile dirt road loop, plus a Greenway that runs to Winston-salem.
(closest access is Linville road). This is where you'll do your long runs.

Triad Park has trails, but I have not run there.

You might be able to get a short route in/around Oakridge park. I'm afraid that if you are a marathon runner you won't find the available distances long enough. (the 5k races there have to leave the park to get 3 miles...)

Guess what...it gets hot in the summer down here...it can be brutal for running...even in the morning. In the summer it might in in the 70's overnight...but humidity is in the 90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or