U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 8,513 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family (Myself, my wife, our 4 and 1 year old) may be moving to High Point in the next year. I grew up in NC so I am somewhat familiar with most of the state, however I have only passed by High Point a few times.

Everything I read about High Point always points out all of the bad qualities of the city, but there has to be some good areas to raise a family. What are the areas with the lowest crime, best schools, access to shopping, and job opportunities for my wife (Army veteran with bachelors degree in Sociology)? I understand that it is impossible to find an area with all of those qualities, so if nothing else, my family's safety is of utmost importance. Thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
If you google "high point, neighborhood, crime" the first result will be a site that shows crime rates by neighborhoods. Generally speaking, the north side of HP has the lowest crime rates.

Most employment centers are also in the north side of the city, and around the Piedmont Triad Airport. For school information, I'd recommend going to this site and looking up information on schools:

NC School Report Cards

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Looks into Jamestown or Wallburg both are just across the city limits of High Point. Some nice homes and quality of living in Jamestown proper.
Both are in areas mentioned by carolinadawg and very convenient to shopping as outer Jamestown is close to Wendover Ave West. There is a lot of suburban development and very convenient to I40 and I 74 and I 73

Wallburg has really good schools from elementary up to high school at Ledford.
Its also has good affordable home with low home taxes too.

Benefit of High Point, Jamestown and Wallburg is your in middle of the Triad so your shopping and eatery choices are wide open as its very quick to enjoy Greensboro or Winston-Salem or the cute shops in High Point.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 02:25 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Yes, good call on looking into Jamestown and Wallburg.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:29 PM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
The neighborhood around Emerywood (near High Point Central High) is the best in High Point city limits. And everything about High Point is not bad.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrka4 View Post
Hello everyone,

My family (Myself, my wife, our 4 and 1 year old) may be moving to High Point in the next year. I grew up in NC so I am somewhat familiar with most of the state, however I have only passed by High Point a few times.

Everything I read about High Point always points out all of the bad qualities of the city, but there has to be some good areas to raise a family. What are the areas with the lowest crime, best schools, access to shopping, and job opportunities for my wife (Army veteran with bachelors degree in Sociology)? I understand that it is impossible to find an area with all of those qualities, so if nothing else, my family's safety is of utmost importance. Thank you in advance for your time.
The bright side about living in High Point is being between Greensboro and Winston Salem. This can help in the career opportunity department.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,009,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
The neighborhood around Emerywood (near High Point Central High) is the best in High Point city limits. And everything about High Point is not bad.
I agree the Emerywood area is a great neighborhood, but just to clarify, the nicer area is north and west of HP Central. If you head east of HP Central towards English Road, the neighborhood changes rather quickly, and becomes a lower income area that has seen its share of crime and other associated problems over the years (although even that area has quieted down quite a bit from the 1990's due to an innovative police program that received national recognition):

http://ric-zai-inc.com/Publications/cops-p166-pub.pdf

Emerywood itself is a desirable, historic neighborhood with sidewalks (at least in places) and older homes than you'll find in some of the other locations mentioned which have much more of a suburban feel (i.e. North HP, Walburg, etc.). Emerywood definitely has a Southern, "old money" feel (with many connected to the furniture industry) while North High Point (particularly the area around Eastchester Dr, Skeet Club Rd., W. Wendover Ave.) kind of blend into suburban Greensboro and tend to have more people who have moved from elsewhere and don't really have specific ties to High Point, but just choose it because it's centrally located to the Triad. Both areas would be good bets, but it depends on whether you're looking for more of a traditional, historic neighborhood feel that's convenient to older, more established shopping options or a suburban feel that's convenient to the newest strip shopping centers, such as the Palladium area.

And while I agree that Northern High Point is generally more economically and socially stable than Southern High Point, like so many places, there are pockets within South High Point that are nice areas and pockets in North High Point that aren't so nice.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 2,866 times
We live in the Oakdale area of Southwest High Point (Harvey Rd, Oakdale, Dillion Rd, etc) that borders Jamestown is nice with low crime. It's pretty country, but there are subdivisions and they share the Jamestown School District (Ragsdale, Jamestown middle, Millis Rd and Jamestown Elementary) Which are good schools. Good cost of living too, but a little further out. My wife and I brought a 4br, 2.5 bath home for $140,000. Good buy.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:33 PM

239 posts, read 213,032 times
I'd want to be in the east Chester west Chester N main area to me that's the area that's growing along with wendoever side of highpoint

Old 01-30-2018, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 4,239 times
We live in Jamestown and absolutely love it! It is the quaintness of a small town with the convenience of a bigger city right beside you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or