U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times

Advertisements

We all know from years of posting that 8-lane roads and flyover ramps really get you going, not to mention that four to five storeys constitutes a tower in your world. But on the subject of architecture, if the boring glass boxes in Greensboro, or the new glass thing across from the Hill Building in Durham is what we should aspire to be, well then bless your heart, we’ll just stick with our little prototype Empire State Building. At 90 years old and third tallest in the Twin City, it’s still taller than anything in Greensboro, or Durham. The high rise architecture in Greensboro is sub-rate at best, not to mention the tallest building having a digital clock. If the glass buildings like Renaissance Center, and the proposed thing with the raked appendage next to the proposed Aloft impress you...again, we’ll keep our Kimpton and Hotel Indigo, in classic Art Deco reduxes that were thoughtfully designed with quality materials! It doesn’t take much beyond a fifth year draftsman to come up with something that looks like Slugger. The architects should be ashamed to be called architects!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:19 AM

4,575 posts, read 4,393,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
We all know from years of posting that 8-lane roads and flyover ramps really get you going, not to mention that four to five storeys constitutes a tower in your world. But on the subject of architecture, if the boring glass boxes in Greensboro, or the new glass thing across from the Hill Building in Durham is what we should aspire to be, well then bless your heart, we’ll just stick with our little prototype Empire State Building. At 90 years old and third tallest in the Twin City, it’s still taller than anything in Greensboro, or Durham. The high rise architecture in Greensboro is sub-rate at best, not to mention the tallest building having a digital clock. If the glass buildings like Renaissance Center, and the proposed thing with the raked appendage next to the proposed Aloft impress you...again, we’ll keep our Kimpton and Hotel Indigo, in classic Art Deco reduxes that were thoughtfully designed with quality materials! It doesn’t take much beyond a fifth year draftsman to come up with something that looks like Slugger. The architects should be ashamed to be called architects!
All cities have bland architecture and all cities have great architecture so I don't see what your point is. I could point out a couple of new hotels going up in Winston-Salem bland by my standards (Courtyard and Hampton Inn) and there are also great classics like the Kimpton and Hotel Indigo. Likewise there are lackluster developments in downtown Greensboro in terms of design but there are also well designed projects. This is not about which city is better. Its about a city taking on a major development that can transform downtown. It needs to be done the right way because it will be there for generations to come.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-03-2019 at 04:31 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 AM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
I’ll wrap up this feckless conversation by stating that Winston-Salem’s BB&T Ballpark is not technically downtown, as in Greensboro or Durham. It sits on the southern edge of and has already helped transform North Carolina’s first streetcar neighborhood. It’s called The West End. I’m sure that what is eventually added around the northern and eastern edge of the ballpark will enhance the neighborhood once the street plan is also finished.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM

421 posts, read 292,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
That is a proposal, not reality. The Intimidator Stadium, again, is not currently even in the master plan shown, or pretty picture.
FWIW, ground was broken on Kannapolis's new stadium a few months ago. Next year, the Intimidators are slated to move in.

Now, whether all the surrounding development takes place... Who knows. Kannapolis has a grand plan. I'm not sure it's a realistic one... At least not over a few years. I'm not real sure why the comparison was brought up by gsoboi though. Proposals are just that and are scrapped all the time.

As for Winston's stadium, I don't think that area needs a "grand plan". This isn't Sim City where you plug high density anywhere you please. A good mix of low/mid rise apartments with a few restaurants is much better.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
FWIW, ground was broken on Kannapolis's new stadium a few months ago. Next year, the Intimidators are slated to move in.

Now, whether all the surrounding development takes place... Who knows. Kannapolis has a grand plan. I'm not sure it's a realistic one... At least not over a few years. I'm not real sure why the comparison was brought up by gsoboi though. Proposals are just that and are scrapped all the time.

As for Winston's stadium, I don't think that area needs a "grand plan". This isn't Sim City where you plug high density anywhere you please. A good mix of low/mid rise apartments with a few restaurants is much better.
The only reason why I made the comparison was to show what Kannapolis was trying to do vs Winston-Salem. Both are proposals so they are subject to change but I was comparing the quality of design and layout to show how Winston-Salem should build their development. Not exactly like theirs. Kannapolis does have a grand plan but let us not forget it is in the Charlotte area. A lot of that growth is spilling over into the surrounding suburbs. True it may end up looking entirely different.

But I think it's a compliment to Winston-Salem to say they are above what is being proposed. They don't have to build skyscrapers and that might not be the best thing to do in Winston-Salem's case because it is in a lower density area bordering downtown. The project can be better designed and laid out though. I understand the developer downsized the project but he could have kept the same design which I thought was great. It didn't look like your typical downtown development.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-03-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM

275 posts, read 95,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The only reason why I made the comparison was to show what Kannapolis was trying to do vs Winston-Salem. Both are proposals so they are subject to change but I was comparing the quality of design and layout to show how Winston-Salem should build their development. Not exactly like theirs. Kannapolis does have a grand plan but let us not forget it is in the Charlotte area. A lot of that growth is spilling over into the surrounding suburbs. True it may end up looking entirely different.
Who cares about a comparison between W-S and Kannapolis? It doesn't matter. Plus, the Kannapolis proposal IS their downtown. Downtown W-S is much more than just the very small area around the baseball stadium, so the 2 aren't even comparable anyway. I think you're trying to troll W-S.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
I think you're trying to troll W-S.
Well you're thinking wrong BC1960.I've stated my opinion and I think they can do better. Start over like Carroll did in Greensboro and come up with something better. A Winston-Salem poster on another site said the same thing I'm saying so I guess they are trolling their own city.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Well you're thinking wrong BC1960.I've stated my opinion and I think they can do better. Start over like Carroll did in Greensboro and come up with something better. A Winston-Salem poster on another site said the same thing I'm saying so I guess they are trolling their own city.
Why are you so obsessed with "BC1960" and apparently trying to say I am him/her? So weird and pointless. Anyway, downtown W-S is doing just fine. As is downtown G'boro. The reality is that there is very little land to develop around W-S's stadium, and the center of gravity for downtown is way to the east, so its of little importance what happens to that small sliver of land just beyond the outfield.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 PM

815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
That is definitely NOT BC1960.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Why is everybody on this site obsessed with "BC1960"? What is the deal? I'm not getting it. And why does anyone care if a poster is someone else. What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or