U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 PM

421 posts, read 292,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
The developer is the Arden group based in Winston-Salem. Looks to be an exciting project.
Agreed. It looks exciting. Food halls seem to be one of the new concepts du jour over the last 3-5 years, but they're pretty cool nonetheless. I'm looking forward to seeing what the culinary mix will be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:42 AM

815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Can someone please take pictures of the apartments and other development going up around WFIQ? I would love to see them, i would travel to take pictures myself but i been very busy, so i would apperciate it.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:13 AM

232 posts, read 62,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Anybody knows what's going on with plans around Winston-Salem's ballpark?
From an article in the W-S Journal:

"The Brookstown District at BB&T Ballpark, a major residential and commercial development project that included more than 1 million square feet of office, retail and residential space, has been scrapped in Winston-Salem, after Atlanta-based developers Brand Properties backed out. The project was first announced in 2015 and included taxpayer funding for a parking deck. The landowners say 241 luxury apartments included in the development are still planned for construction and could be completed sometime in 2021, but will be located on Broad Street, slightly farther than the original site."

Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
From an article in the W-S Journal:

"The Brookstown District at BB&T Ballpark, a major residential and commercial development project that included more than 1 million square feet of office, retail and residential space, has been scrapped in Winston-Salem, after Atlanta-based developers Brand Properties backed out. The project was first announced in 2015 and included taxpayer funding for a parking deck. The landowners say 241 luxury apartments included in the development are still planned for construction and could be completed sometime in 2021, but will be located on Broad Street, slightly farther than the original site."
That's still bs, i watched this entire thing fall apart on wstb, it constantly went through so many revisions, losing more and more over time, until they sadly called it quits, Brookstown district was a very ambitious project and would have been one of the largest ball park districts in NC and basicly creating a city within a city, and i wish it would have got the go ahead.

However, the developers had a rocky and terrible track reccord, as the same exact thing happened in Atlanta with their braves ball park district that fell flat, Winstons main hope right now is roy carroll, He did build a very upscale use storage on broad st. With a wine seller.

I said it when it was built, and i'll say it again, winston's stadium should have been built in close proximity to the CBD, like charlotte, durham and Greensboro which are in walking distance of the financial districts. I remember riding down peters creek on my way to work back when i lived in Winston, And seen the ground breaking and thought to my self...wow that is VERY far from downtown.

It's all about location location location. And this was always my prefered location for the ball park.

Red = stadium, blue and green= maybe mixeduse luxury apartments, hotel or office etc.

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 06-24-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,520,136 times
I respectfully disagree with every part of your post, GSOCitizen.

The stadium isn't far from the CBD at all. Seriously. Walking distance. Plus very convenient to b-40 (which will matter again soon, and is handy as a lot of fans come from surrounding counties) and is right next to several large apartment complexes, including one that was just announced. I have had dinner and beers in the West End and then walked down to a Dash game more than a few times.

As for the locations you point out on your photograph, the section you circle in blue is now the WFIQ Link apartment complex. It's big. The other properties you circle are owned by Reynolds and they haven't shown interest in parting with them yet. That'll change over time.

Overall, there's not an issue here. Attendance is solid (best in high-A for several years running, with a new single-game franchise record set last July 4th.) At this point, there are really only a few blocks in play that separate the stadium from downtown and the West End, and some of those are used for parking.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM

4,575 posts, read 4,393,634 times
I would have preferred the ballpark be built in the Innovation Quarter near the old tobacco warehouse and factories. A great setting for a ballpark and would have added a more mixed-use element to the Innovation Quarter. It would have been located in the core of downtown as opposed to th outer perimeter of downtown.

I agree about the developers of Brookstown. Carroll could pull it off but he doesn't seem interested in investing in Winston-Salem other than Bee Safe Storages.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:49 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I would have preferred the ballpark be built in the Innovation Quarter near the old tobacco warehouse and factories. A great setting for a ballpark and would have added a more mixed-use element to the Innovation Quarter. It would have been located in the core of downtown as opposed to th outer perimeter of downtown.
Innovation Quarter is not in "the core" of downtown. The ballpark is just as close to downtown as the IQ (assuming one defines downtown as being 4th St between Broad and Main). I think we will see much more growth and (hopefully positive) development around the ballpark, especially after Bus 40 reopens.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 PM

232 posts, read 62,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
That's still bs, i watched this entire thing fall apart on wstb, it constantly went through so many revisions, losing more and more over time, until they sadly called it quits, Brookstown district was a very ambitious project and would have been one of the largest ball park districts in NC and basicly creating a city within a city, and i wish it would have got the go ahead.
I'm sorry, whats "still bs"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Red = stadium, blue and green= maybe mixeduse luxury apartments, hotel or office etc.
Thats not a large enough site to accommodate the stadium.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I'm sorry, whats "still bs"?

Thats not a large enough site to accommodate the stadium.
That Brookstown was canceled.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:25 PM

35 posts, read 22,320 times
The ballpark was built in the best place possible. It definitely wouldn’t have fit in the IQ, which by the way is a mixed use plan with high end apartments, park space and an entertainment/retail area as part of the district that have either already been built or are currently under construction. The IQ anchors the east end of downtown while the ballpark anchors the west. While the Brookstown project hasn’t worked out, there are two class a apartment projects already developed adjacent to the ballpark and a new Courtyard being built within walking distance on Fourth Street. The west end also includes Burke Street which is a well established retail corridor a few blocks from the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or