U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:57 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,440,049 times

Advertisements

According to the Winston-Salem Journal the developer couldn't make the numbers work for the ballpark development. Winston-Salem needs to do what Greensboro is doing and have multiple developers building around the ballpark. It would have the same impact, it just wouldn't be a single development. Like I said before this is actually a good thing because now everyone can take a step back and have multiple developers build something better. One developer could build a hotel with residential. Another developer could build office. business 40 construction also played a role in the ballpark development being canceled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM

3,127 posts, read 4,166,507 times
Winston-Salem is booming! From Fourth and Main on WSTB:

* Work is finally starting on the Efird Block (601 North Liberty)! That area has looked rough for years and we were so close to losing that building!
* 815 North Trade is now moving forward again, after a few modifications.
* A new apartment building is proposed or visioned on Seventh Street, at a highly visible entrance to downtown from the LJVM and Wake Forest!
* An existing developer has enough demand to build an even more upscale apartment building next to his existing building and it will complete at least part of the ballpark development area.
* A local executive will bring a new divisional office of a Chicago-based company to the city.
* A local law firm will take-over another floor at Winston Tower
* In December, we could see the proposal for 311 East Third, which could become our first skyscraper on the skyline since One Park Vista and it may have the height of One West Fourth, giving it a good presence on the skyline from U.S. 52.
* Hyatt Place WILL grow in size. Will it be taller or will they go with a larger footprint? I don't know yet.
* An existing project, under construction for two or three years, may change into an even bigger project with the bowling alley and the food hall I've wanted to see.
* The developer of Winston Junction is now working on a neighboring building.
* The downtown skate park we've talked about here for the past three or four years now has a site and those behind it are now working to move it forward as an attraction.
* We will soon add two breweries to downtown's total. Both are under construction. Winston-Salem and Hendersonville are gaining recognition as the next brewery cities in North Carolina to watch.
* An Air B&B Hotel is starting construction at Industry Hill
* Winston-Salem is tied with Austin for most startups in 2018! We can say, without a doubt, this city is a startup city! Everything seems to be falling into place for Winston-Salem to become a generator of new companies. And this (start your own company) seems to the city's plan for replacing lost jobs.
* Wake Forest School of Engineering is expanding in downtown, renovating two more floors in their building.
* There is strong demand among investors for apartments in Winston-Salem and profits are being made for sellers.
* A new courthouse is close to breaking ground.
* A grand mall (linear park on multiple blocks and not a shopping center) is proposed leading to that courthouse.
* When financing is finalized, work will begin on Link Apartments 4th Street.
* A new park is moving forward at a major intersection of cycle paths in downtown.
* Another new park with a possible water feature is moving forward on Third Street, along with protected bike lanes.
* Have you seen the cycle paths proposed? They are impressive and funding is there to begin work on them!
* Merschel Park should restart construction when plans are approved to expand the underground parking and change the park design to match our renderings.
* Are you excited about the major art investment at Merschel Park?
* Did you know the streets in downtown will be completely rebuilt, so all of the materials, street furniture, landscaping, lighting standards, etc., will match?
* What likely has Greensboro scared: There is a lot of talk that Alamance County will become part of the Durham-Chapel Hill Metro Area in 2023, making downtown Winston-Salem and Forsyth County the center of the Triad and its workforce. If you're opening just one office, Winston-Salem and Kernersville become better choices to be in the center. All of the Triad's counties will border Forsyth... I guess except for Randolph, but it almost does.
* Interstate 285 will expand northward to I-74, giving downtown an Interstate again!
* Aerotropolis at Smith Reynolds Airport is very exciting. All of the news from the airport is like our wish list for it. As I've said before: This is the biggest project few people are really talking about. It is far under everyone's radar (pun intended).
* 8 West Third should be exciting, now with work starting on its parking deck. The deck will be shared with Winston Tower.
* Ben Sutton's new company has selected 500 West 5th for their headquarters. It's (500 West 5th) becoming an impressive incubator with a lot of big names connected to it.
* Don't forget to watch Tennis Channel to see total coverage of the entire Winston-Salem Open, broadcast internationally! Wow!
* Convention business is up and there are more investments in events for next year.
* A new tower at Novant Forsyth, along with several big hospital-related investments from both medical centers!

Old 07-01-2019, 03:27 PM

Nice list. I do disagree about Burlington/Alamance becoming a part of the Triangle. Cities can't just choose to become part of another metro. There are a number of factors which determines which metro a city is part of including commuting patterns. Local governments don't determine that. More people by far commute from Burlington to Greensboro than Burlington to Raleigh/Durham. Burlington is less than 30 miles from Greensboro (more like 6 to 8 miles or so from city limits to city limit) and its a stretch to think that the Triangle would expand 6 or 7 miles away from Greensboro's city limits up to the Guilford County line. Burlington is more joined with Greensboro. You can see that along the freeway. There is almost continuous development between Greensboro and Burlington. There is a big gap between Burlington and Durham, dozens and dozens of miles of trees and nothingness. There is just too much of a disconnect and Alamance/Burlington is just too close to Greensboro. That's like saying Rowan or Cabarrus County/Concord in the Charlotte metro becoming a part of the Triad. Even if this were to hypothetically happen, wouldn't it have to be done in 2020 during a census year?

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-01-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 03:28 PM

851 posts, read 1,037,442 times
Fourth and main was the same guy that tried his best to spin BB&T leaving into a good thing..while simultaneously spinning it into a doomsday senario for greensboro, or, "the city east of colfax" or, "greedsboro" or, "city to the east"

By saying that BB&T greensboro workers will all be transfered to the old BB&T tower in winston when truist establishes it's "main triad community banking center" there..But when he found out that Greensboro got the truist mortgage headquarters he went off on a huge tangent that one of the WSTB moderators had to delete..

I do admire his ability to literally see almost any silverlining, and admire his passion for Winston Salem. And his crazy ability to spin ANYTHING into Winstons favor.

but his serious and passionate hatred for Greensboro kills his credibility.

Couple that with pointless "show boating" and out right lies like the charlotte to winston highspeed rail project...and no offence to GSOboi, but fourth and main...is far more aggravating to deal with... but he apparently lives in Atlanta if you ever ask him where he lives..

Old 07-01-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Fourth and main was the same guy that tried his best to spin BB&T leaving into a good thing..while simultaneously spinning it into a doomsday senario for greensboro, or, "the city east of colfax" or, "greedsboro" or, "city to the east"

By saying that BB&T greensboro workers will all be transfered to the old BB&T tower in winston when truist establishes it's "main triad community banking center" there..But when he found out that Greensboro got the truist mortgage headquarters he went off on a huge tangent that one of the WSTB moderators had to delete..

I do admire his ability to literally see almost any silverlining, and admire his passion for Winston Salem. And his crazy ability to spin ANYTHING into Winstons favor.

but his serious and passionate hatred for Greensboro kills his credibility.

Couple that with pointless "show boating" and out right lies like the charlotte to winston highspeed rail project...and no offence to GSOboi, but fourth and main...is far more aggravating to deal with... but he apparently lives in Atlanta if you ever ask him where he lives..
I've been told he is my Winston-Salem counterpart, but he is like me on steroids LOL. That's why we never got along because to some degree we are alike but on polar ends. However he is pro Winston-Salem and anti Greensboro. I'm more pro Greensboro but im not anti Winston-Salem. Now I am oppose to individual posters who have bashed me and others for being so pro Greensboro. I have no beef with the city of Winston-Salem. Fourth and Main btw is also known as Matthew. But even fellow Winston-Salem posters had to correct him and responded that enough is enough with Greensboro vs Winston-Salem and that what's good for one is good for all in the Triad. A perfect example. Yes PTI Airport is in Greensboro. But even with the airport being in Greensboro it has played a big role in the success the city of Winston-Salem and really much of the Triad is seeing. I'm not saying it's the only thing because Winston-Salem has some great things going on over there along with Wake Forest's presence. So give them a lot of credit. But without that airport, the Triad would not be where it is today. You can't have the kind of Innovation Quarter Winston-Salem is building without PTI. What the Triad needs to understand, in order to compete with the big players, it has to compete as a region. The cities individually are too small to compete.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-01-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 2,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
But even with the airport being in Greensboro it has played a big role in the success the city of Winston-Salem and really much of the Triad is seeing. I'm not saying it's the only thing because Winston-Salem has some great things going on over there along with Wake Forest's presence. So give them a lot of credit. But without that airport, the Triad would not be where it is today. You can't have the kind of Innovation Quarter Winston-Salem is building without PTI.

I hate to burst your bubble, but when c-suite types visit Winston-Salem and the Innovation Quarter, they're not flying into GSO. They're flying private into Smith Reynolds. Inmar's CEO doesn't fly his private jet through GSO.

GSO is seen by the executive and recruitment crowd as a weakness. It's seen as "the best we can do" living relatively equidistant from RDU and CLT.

Executives, the kinds that are doing business in and with the Innovation Quarter...they don't do connecting flights. They fly private, or they fly direct. When you're recruiting someone to be a $400K a year brain surgeon, you don't fly them on two-leg trip across the country through DFW.

You can't get a direct flight from LAX to GSO. You can't get a direct flight from SFO to GSO. From SEA. From BOS.

And even when you can get a direct flight to/from LGA or ORD, you usually have only a handful of flights coming in or going out on each airline, meaning if your flight is late or gets cancelled, you're screwed. Might as well have booked that flight into RDU like you thought about doing in the first place and driving over.

The Innovation Quarter was built in spite of GSO, not because of it.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 2,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
The stadium isn't far from the CBD at all. Seriously. Walking distance.
Come on now.

While you're TECHNICALLY correct that the stadium is "walking distance" from the physical boundary of the CBD, no one (and I mean no one) takes a hop, skip and a jump from the ball park after the game to hit Foothills for a night cap. No one opts for a late dinner at Bib's after the final out. No one is loosening their tie as they walk out of the Wells Fargo building to make it in time for the first pitch.

It's time for W-S to admit that it screwed up on the ballpark location. It's been miss after miss in attempts to bring new development to/around the ballpark. The thing sits on an island over there, the only redeeming thing in sight being the Link Brookstown apartments. That's it.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,555,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhin99 View Post
Come on now.

While you're TECHNICALLY correct that the stadium is "walking distance" from the physical boundary of the CBD, no one (and I mean no one) takes a hop, skip and a jump from the ball park after the game to hit Foothills for a night cap.
I have literally done that exact thing. Itís a half mile from the stadium to Foothills. Burke Street is even closer and Iíve walked to or from Burke St Pizza, Vintage, Old Town Social, etc. a dozen times.

Itís true: the ballpark isnít literally in the shadow of the Reynolds Building. But itís not inconvenient. And a spot deeper in the heart of the CBD could hurt attendance from surrounding areas. Most of those fans arenít walking to those games from anywhere. And wouldnít be walking no matter where the park was located.

And whereís the data to support that the location is hurting attendance? Best average attendance in the Carolina League and high A ball, overall. A shade below Greensboro, but in line with the population difference.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but when c-suite types visit Winston-Salem and the Innovation Quarter, they're not flying into GSO. They're flying private into Smith Reynolds. Inmar's CEO doesn't fly his private jet through GSO.

GSO is seen by the executive and recruitment crowd as a weakness. It's seen as "the best we can do" living relatively equidistant from RDU and CLT.

Executives, the kinds that are doing business in and with the Innovation Quarter...they don't do connecting flights. They fly private, or they fly direct. When you're recruiting someone to be a $400K a year brain surgeon, you don't fly them on two-leg trip across the country through DFW.

You can't get a direct flight from LAX to GSO. You can't get a direct flight from SFO to GSO. From SEA. From BOS.

And even when you can get a direct flight to/from LGA or ORD, you usually have only a handful of flights coming in or going out on each airline, meaning if your flight is late or gets cancelled, you're screwed. Might as well have booked that flight into RDU like you thought about doing in the first place and driving over.

The Innovation Quarter was built in spite of GSO, not because of it.
Without a nearby International Airport, you are not going to see the kind of companies move in that Winston-Salem is trying to attract. There is a reason why cities such as Fayetteville are having a hard time trying to attract companies. A small commuter airport close to downtown is not enough but it is a great benefit for corporate private jets and compliments PTI.

Quote:
Come on now.

While you're TECHNICALLY correct that the stadium is "walking distance" from the physical boundary of the CBD, no one (and I mean no one) takes a hop, skip and a jump from the ball park after the game to hit Foothills for a night cap. No one opts for a late dinner at Bib's after the final out. No one is loosening their tie as they walk out of the Wells Fargo building to make it in time for the first pitch.

It's time for W-S to admit that it screwed up on the ballpark location. It's been miss after miss in attempts to bring new development to/around the ballpark. The thing sits on an island over there, the only redeeming thing in sight being the Link Brookstown apartments. That's it.
I will agree with you here. I don't think it was the best location to build a ballpark. The only reasons I can think of as to why it was built there are access to Business 40 and the hope that it would help expand downtown further west. But again my preference would have been in the innovation quarter. The innovation quarter needs to not only be a place where people work but a place where people live, work and play. Its much closer to the core of downtown. To me BB&T Ballpark seems more like a neighborhood ballpark and not a downtown ballpark. And that's fine if that's what they wanted over there. But the retro brick ballpark that they built would have been more fitting for a location surrounded by historic tobacco warehouses and factories like in Durham. This is where most of the development is taking place in downtown Winston-Salem and it would have been less of a challenge to build around the ballpark. Imagine having a hitech research corporate office building overlooking the field. It also would have been better situated near both business 40 and Highway 52. Imagine approaching downtown Winston-Salem from the east along Business 40 and you see a stunning ballpark with Winston-Salem's skyline directly behind it. Its like approaching uptown Charlotte where you see Bank of America Stadium with the city skyline as the backdrop. What the innovation quarter is missing is a big anchor development. The ballpark could have been that anchor development which would have attracted more hotels and other development in the innovation quarter. But since that is not the case, they can go with another option like a major unique central park which would naturally connect with the greenway. The park could have a man made lake with elements similar to what's in Lebauer Park in Greensboro as well as elements not found in any urban park in North Carolina. It could be an innovative hitech park which would be very fitting in its location.

There needs to be some sort of anchor to make the innovation quarter a more attractive place for companies to relocate to. Development there has been slow and after more than 20 years, we should be seeing a lot more companies there. By comparison look at how fast RTP grew in a 20 year period between the 1960s and 1980s. Things are starting to pick up a little though in Winston-Salem.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-04-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM

369 posts, read 122,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Without a nearby International Airport, you are not going to see the kind of companies move in that Winston-Salem is trying to attract. There is a reason why cities such as Fayetteville are having a hard time trying to attract companies. A small commuter airport is not enough but it is a great benefit for corporate private jets.
Are you saying you take the "I" in PTIA seriously? Come on, man. GSO is not what any sane, knowledgeable person considers to be an "International" airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or