U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times

Advertisements

I visited W-S a few weeks ago to look for an apartment as I will be moving there September 1. I noticed a few of them undergoing big renovations, new siding, new windows, new roofs, new interiors, etc. When I was there it was a little hard to get the overall feel for what they would be like once work was finished. But the idea of owners being interested enough in changing for the better is quite encouraging to me. Yes, it means higher rents. But overall it is improvement.
I have chosen the Ambercrest apartments on Split Rail Circle, 27106. Does anyone know about these apartments and care to share information with me? Moving from NY state I am totally clueless regarding any of the apartments available.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:58 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
Default You might want to reconsider...

I'll start by saying that I have not lived in W-S since 2008 and am not personally familiar with the current rental market in W-S or these specific apartments. When we most recently lived in W-S, we were near Old Salem & Brookstown.

Having said that, if I were a retired, single woman looking to rent on a budget in W-S, I would not choose the University Parkway area. Crime rate raises red flags and further south off University, the Brownsboro Rd area is especially sketchy. If you can find something in your budget, I would recommend Country Club Rd, Peace Haven, Jonestown Rd area... even if it's a bit older and/or smaller.

I did a quick search for apartment ratings and found the following: Ambercrest Apartments Ratings. I would not base a decision solely on these comments, but they certainly would cause me to seriously reconsider this location.

I absolutely love W-S and do not mean to alarm or discourage you, but I think you could do better in Winston-Salem.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I'll start by saying that I have not lived in W-S since 2008 and am not personally familiar with the current rental market in W-S or these specific apartments. When we most recently lived in W-S, we were near Old Salem & Brookstown.

Having said that, if I were a retired, single woman looking to rent on a budget in W-S, I would not choose the University Parkway area. Crime rate raises red flags and further south off University, the Brownsboro Rd area is especially sketchy. If you can find something in your budget, I would recommend Country Club Rd, Peace Haven, Jonestown Rd area... even if it's a bit older and/or smaller.

I did a quick search for apartment ratings and found the following: Ambercrest Apartments Ratings. I would not base a decision solely on these comments, but they certainly would cause me to seriously reconsider this location.

I absolutely love W-S and do not mean to alarm or discourage you, but I think you could do better in Winston-Salem.
Thank you for your response. I'm really not sure what to do now. I'm supposed to move out of my apartment 8/31/16 (lease is up). Since I am in NY state it's not going to be easy to find a "better" place than this between then and now. But the ratings site you included in your post should help a lot.

One thing I found in some of the apartments I looked at was how narrow the kitchen was. I don't know if someone could even open the refrigerator door all the way. Or the oven door.

And the "nicer" apartments I looked at have MAA Connect which is an extra $50/month fee. No option for not having it. Between the rent and the MAA, can't afford.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM

roadpony: Looks like the rents at Brooktown are in the $800s range. I can't go above $600. But I appreciate your response.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:27 AM

You may have to bite the bullet and make another trip. Sorry to be the bearer of less than positive news.

Not to say the ratings aren't valid, but I think with any online ratings site, one has to take them with a grain of salt. People who are unhappy tend to post more often than those without complaints. OTOH, the comments I read concerning Ambercrest seem to be valid and don't appear for the most part to be people "with an ax to grind."

Old 05-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
roadpony: Looks like the rents at Brooktown are in the $800s range. I can't go above $600. But I appreciate your response.
I wasn't suggesting that you look in that area. I was simply explaining that was my frame of reference. Besides, we owned our home and were not renting.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
You may have to bite the bullet and make another trip. Sorry to be the bearer of less than positive news.

Not to say the ratings aren't valid, but I think with any online ratings site, one has to take them with a grain of salt. People who are unhappy tend to post more often than those without complaints. OTOH, the comments I read concerning Ambercrest seem to be valid and don't appear for the most part to be people "with an ax to grind."
I am planning another trip in a few weeks, maybe sooner. Bought a GPS while I was there the last time and found it to be invaluable. I appreciate what you have written. Unfortunately what I can afford vs what I would love to have are two different stories.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I am planning another trip in a few weeks, maybe sooner.
Great!!!

Quote:
I appreciate what you have written. Unfortunately what I can afford vs what I would love to have are two different stories.
Ain't that the truth for most of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or