U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 AM

4,665 posts, read 3,241,188 times

Advertisements

I've looked and looked. Posted and posted. Received lots of messages with good-to-know information.

Should I give up on my hopes of moving to Winston-Salem? I've spent a lot of time on line and truthfully I'm sick of it. I did visit for a week specifically looking for apartments. But finding something in a good neighborhood with a good rating seems impossible.

Specifically I'm looking for rent to $600. One bedroom. First floor if available, will consider higher floor. Quiet neighborhood. Kitchen I can turn around in (somebody must have been joking when they built some of those kitchens). Safety. Cat friendly. I'd consider outside of W-S.

If anyone wants to comment, make suggestions, etc. I will read and hopefully learn from all of them.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:17 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,657,887 times
I know Craigslist can be iffy, but have you looked there? Despite the risks, there can be legitimate listings that are good values if you do your due diligence.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I know Craigslist can be iffy, but have you looked there? Despite the risks, there can be legitimate listings that are good values if you do your due diligence.
Thanks roadpony. That is an excellent idea. I had thought of it earlier but got a little immersed in my own self pity.

So hearing from you was very good.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:58 AM

roadpony: While in craig's list for W-S I got a pop-up from a senior housing group in 27106. I filled it out, they'll get back to me.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:14 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,766 times
Have you looked into Hawk Ridge which is off Stratford Rd/Rte 158, at the Winston-Salem/Clemmons border? I believe 1 bedroom apts start at $600, though I don't know what's currently available. I've seen the smaller studio units. Area is quiet, seems very safe. Pet (dog and cat) friendly, though there is a $300 nonrefundable fee and $10/month additional fee per pet.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:13 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,809,684 times
My son just moved into Sherwood Station apartments in W-S. Its an older complex in a great location, near the intersection of Polo Road and Robinhood Road. It may be slightly above your price range, I'm not certain. Certainly worth a phone call.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:25 PM

1,045 posts, read 958,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I've looked and looked. Posted and posted. Received lots of messages with good-to-know information.

Should I give up on my hopes of moving to Winston-Salem? I've spent a lot of time on line and truthfully I'm sick of it. I did visit for a week specifically looking for apartments. But finding something in a good neighborhood with a good rating seems impossible.

Specifically I'm looking for rent to $600. One bedroom. First floor if available, will consider higher floor. Quiet neighborhood. Kitchen I can turn around in (somebody must have been joking when they built some of those kitchens). Safety. Cat friendly. I'd consider outside of W-S.

If anyone wants to comment, make suggestions, etc. I will read and hopefully learn from all of them.

Thank you.
You will NOT find any apts in Charlotte 'proper' for $600. month...not even studios...AND not ON Craigslist, as I am the self-proclaimed CL mega-looker. I buy & sell via CL weekly. If you do find a place for $700. (or that area) it's gonna be in da ghetto...and YES! Charlotte still has several ghetto areas now instead of one large one (thank you, Hugh McColl and buddies).
You CAN find such apts if you get 50-100 miles OUT OF CHARLOTTE in any direction. Nothing wrong with Winston-Salem, Rock Hill, Shelby, or Wadesboro areas, but not 'big city' and depending on what you do for a living the jobs will be less ( I see you made a comment about Senior housing, so I am guessing you might be one).
I have a nice duplex with a slumlord for a landlord in one of the nicer neighborhoods and I fix, Redo, keep up everything but the roof and fascia MYSELF, as I know my next move will be far away from this n'hood as the rents, in the past year, have DOUBLED +, and the home prices have tripled. I need to be here 3 more years as my son is in college and I'm helping him out as much as I can.
If you find something good in W-S, GRAB IT UP! Good luck to you!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
You will NOT find any apts in Charlotte 'proper' for $600. month...not even studios...AND not ON Craigslist, as I am the self-proclaimed CL mega-looker. I buy & sell via CL weekly. If you do find a place for $700. (or that area) it's gonna be in da ghetto...and YES! Charlotte still has several ghetto areas now instead of one large one (thank you, Hugh McColl and buddies).
You CAN find such apts if you get 50-100 miles OUT OF CHARLOTTE in any direction. Nothing wrong with Winston-Salem, Rock Hill, Shelby, or Wadesboro areas, but not 'big city' and depending on what you do for a living the jobs will be less ( I see you made a comment about Senior housing, so I am guessing you might be one).
I have a nice duplex with a slumlord for a landlord in one of the nicer neighborhoods and I fix, Redo, keep up everything but the roof and fascia MYSELF, as I know my next move will be far away from this n'hood as the rents, in the past year, have DOUBLED +, and the home prices have tripled. I need to be here 3 more years as my son is in college and I'm helping him out as much as I can.
If you find something good in W-S, GRAB IT UP! Good luck to you!
Thank you for all the information you have written here. I am not looking at Charlotte at all. I knew it would be expensive but it is also a lot bigger than I want. From all the posts people have written I decided that W-S seemed to be a good fit for me.

Believe it or not I have found a possibility for senior housing on Craig's list...... am awaiting further information. And a couple of other places.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
My son just moved into Sherwood Station apartments in W-S. Its an older complex in a great location, near the intersection of Polo Road and Robinhood Road. It may be slightly above your price range, I'm not certain. Certainly worth a phone call.
Thank you carolinadawg2. I have been checking that one out. Looked at the ratings and found almost every one to be a positive. That is encouraging considering the fact that checking out several other places on the ratings site proved to be disastrous. An occasional positive but almost consistent negative.

I have put in a bid for one of their apartments and have heard back from them today by email. I will call them in the morning. I also left message for Garden Park Hanes Mall. Their ratings are pretty old dated 2012.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Have you looked into Hawk Ridge which is off Stratford Rd/Rte 158, at the Winston-Salem/Clemmons border? I believe 1 bedroom apts start at $600, though I don't know what's currently available. I've seen the smaller studio units. Area is quiet, seems very safe. Pet (dog and cat) friendly, though there is a $300 nonrefundable fee and $10/month additional fee per pet.
Thank you for the suggestion. The pet fee of $300 seems to be similar in most apartments that accept pets; some run a bit lower. Pet rent of $10 is low compared to other places. Want to check out some other places before going with Hawk Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or