U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,942,522 times
Reputation: 4077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Winston does have a bit of an identity advantage because it doesn't share the county with another metro city. I don't think "Piedmont Triad" carries any more negativity than the term "Triangle."
And W-S doesn't compete with Greenville...people confuse GSO and Greenville all the time for some reason.

Triad doesn't carry any negativity that I've ever heard of except in one city-data member's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 PM
 
51 posts, read 43,740 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The Triad branding actually helps GSO and W-S because it puts them in the "over 1 million" category that so any corporations view as the threshold.

GSO is not the leading city in the Triad...I would say that there isn't one because the two are so even. GSO has a little larger population but that doesn't make it the leader. If that were the case then San Jose would be the leading city of its CSA when we all know that it's San Francisco.

There is a reason that the airport is named the way it is - all the cities contributed to it. What it wrong with the results that the economic leaders have gotten here? This area has grown and changed tremendously in the past couple of decades. W-S's downtown is a great indicator of that.
It sounds like Winston-Salem is a legend in your own mind. It has, in fact, slipped in the past two decades and is growing slower than the NC state average and even slower than High Point. It, along with Greensboro, have had lower job and population growth than nearly all cities their size in the southeastern US. You can go to the US Census site, along with many other sources, to verify that.

Everything is not alright as you claim it to be. PTI has been losing passenger traffic at a steady pace the past few years. That shouldn't be ignored and it doesn't bode well for attracting businesses and educated people to the area. The growth you're seeing in the Triad now is a case of a rising tide lifting all boats. The trend line for the area has been going down compared to its peers. I simply floated one idea to change that, but you're too ignorant to think outside the box and strive for more than mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 03:26 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,327,383 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
And W-S doesn't compete with Greenville...people confuse GSO and Greenville all the time for some reason.

Triad doesn't carry any negativity that I've ever heard of except in one city-data member's head.
Maybe they pronounce it Greensville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,327,383 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I do think it would be more beneficial for exposure and recognition if the airport were named Greensboro/Winston-Salem International Airport. Even cities that are part of a larger region have their airports named after the largest or two largest cities in the region (Raleigh-Durham Int'l, Norfolk Int'l, Greenville-Spartanburg Int'l, etc.).
The only issue perhaps being Winston has it's own airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 03:48 PM
 
51 posts, read 43,740 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The only issue perhaps being Winston has it's own airport?
Many cities have multiple airports, even if they're not all in the city limits. Smith Reynolds is only used for private and general aviation and has a very, very small volume of flights. There would be no confusion among the general public whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 06:50 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,942,522 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT21 View Post
It sounds like Winston-Salem is a legend in your own mind. It has, in fact, slipped in the past two decades and is growing slower than the NC state average and even slower than High Point. It, along with Greensboro, have had lower job and population growth than nearly all cities their size in the southeastern US. You can go to the US Census site, along with many other sources, to verify that.

Everything is not alright as you claim it to be. PTI has been losing passenger traffic at a steady pace the past few years. That shouldn't be ignored and it doesn't bode well for attracting businesses and educated people to the area. The growth you're seeing in the Triad now is a case of a rising tide lifting all boats. The trend line for the area has been going down compared to its peers. I simply floated one idea to change that, but you're too ignorant to think outside the box and strive for more than mediocrity.
I had composed a long rebuttal to the above, but there is no use to argue with someone who is completely ignorant on the subject. I never said that the Triad is booming, but a 1-2% increase in population is healthy growth. You make several inaccurate statements, but I think you know you're in over your head on this. If you knew more about the area you would be able to clearly see that it isn't on the path to destruction that you claim, but is actually very healthy at the moment and pretty clearly on the verge of much higher growth. You can't go around comparing every city to booming cities - it isn't a fair comparison. But the Triad is growing as well or better than many other Southern cities of similar size (Richmond, Birmingham, Knoxville, etc) so your assessment of the area compared to "nearly all other cities their size".

But keep talking if you want...your lack of knowledge on the subject really shows.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-13-2015 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 03:51 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,327,383 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I had composed a long rebuttal to the above, but there is no use to argue with someone who is completely ignorant on the subject. I never said that the Triad is booming, but a 1-2% increase in population is healthy growth. You make several inaccurate statements, but I think you know you're in over your head on this. If you knew more about the area you would be able to clearly see that it isn't on the path to destruction that you claim, but is actually very healthy at the moment and pretty clearly on the verge of much higher growth. You can't go around comparing every city to booming cities - it isn't a fair comparison. But the Triad is growing as well or better than many other Southern cities of similar size (Richmond, Birmingham, Knoxville, etc) so your assessment of the area compared to "nearly all other cities their size".

But keep talking if you want...your lack of knowledge on the subject really shows.
I prefer slow steady growth because where there is boom there will be a bust of equal proportions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:28 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,942,522 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I prefer slow steady growth because where there is boom there will be a bust of equal proportions.
Same here...I have lived in both, and steady growth is much preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM
 
279 posts, read 279,228 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
GSO is not the leading city in the Triad...I would say that there isn't one because the two are so even. GSO has a little larger population but that doesn't make it the leader. If that were the case then San Jose would be the leading city of its CSA when we all know that it's San Francisco.
This is probably the best thing I've ever read about the Greensboro /Winston-Salem debates I see sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 PM
 
906 posts, read 770,315 times
Reputation: 1213
Big Greensboro fan here. Just want to point out that Richmond's growth rate is 6.7%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top