Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 27,805 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I need to go to Durham this Tuesday and am wondering if it is durable to drive only main roads to drive between Greensboro and Durham. I get frightened by driving highway. According to the Google map, it seems taking 1h. 45 m. by avoiding highway as opposed to 1h. 5m. by driving highway. But I am new to the area and don't have any clues about what neighborhood (e.g., traffic) I will go through by driving these main roads.

I am trying to find a friend who can come with me. But, the appointment at Durham is during the daytime/business day and this idea seems not working, either.

Thanks much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:09 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
It looks like Hwy 70 from Greensboro, past Hillsborough, almost to Durham is the most direct route in order to stay off the interstate most of the way. You'd be going through downtown Burlington (I think) which will be slow going.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:52 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
It does go through the middle of Burlington. And Mebane. It's 2 lane most of the way with a passing lane in spots. It will be significantly slower than using the interstate.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Thank you so much, roadpony and Sue at the Rock.

I've tried driving the route you both suggested this evening. The slow traffic didn't make me panic. But, it will surely take longer (40 min. is a long way to go). I sort of remember it is 2 lane some of the I-40 from GSO to Durham (I was given a ride). Am I correct? If so, it might not be a huge difference between I-40 and Hwy 70....

Or, is the condition of I-40 similar to or different from that of I-85? 2 years ago, I drove I-85 from GSO to Concord, which worn me out (in some areas, there are many more lanes, which made me panic), ending up taking over 2 hours as opposed to 1+ hour.

I will try to find time to practice of entering the I-40 tomorrow to see how I feel. But, for now, I am inclined to try Hwy 70 as at least I drove a half of the route and became sort of familiar to it today.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Where in Durham are you going?

You could go 70, but there are other ways that would take you closer to Chapel Hill that might work for SW Durham. The 70 route would be better for Northern Durham.

I-40 and I-85 are the same road for almost all the route between Greensboro and Durham. They split at Hillsborough, but run concurrently most of the way.

Google maps can give you non-highway routes: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Durh...54!2m1!1b1!3e0

Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 AM

149 posts, read 250,578 times
70 is not a bad route at all, and it's not that much longer. It's easier to stop if you need a coke or bathroom break.

It's actually nice to drive through Mebane, it's "downtown" is kind of neat. (old fashioned).

Old 06-01-2015, 08:24 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Any chance of taking the train? It leaves Greensboro at 8:39 AM, arrives in Durham at 9:42. Return train leaves Durham at 5:24, arrives in G'boro at 6:27. $24.00 round trip.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:55 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
soycat,

I would take a look at Google Maps for sure to look for alternate routes.

I don't now you well, or where you are coming from ( since you say you're new in town), but I would seriously suggest doing everything you can to get acclimated to driving on highways. I understand that traffic and high speeds can be very scary and at times dangerous, but driving on highways is a very large part of living in this area and NC in general (many other states as well) . Maybe try driving during non-peak hours, or small stretches (1-2 miles, then getting off the exit and turning around to go back) so that you can get used to the higher speeds and traffic. Slowly going longer distances and increasing your rate of speed up to the speed limit.

I"m not sure if you had some traumatic experience that has lead you to fearing driving on highways, but you may want to speak with a therapist about this. They may be able to help you get over this fear.

I hope you make your way to and from Durham safely and wish you nothing but the best.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Thank you so much for all! It appears that one of my friends will volunteer by being my company to Durham.

popydog -- I will drive the downtown of GSO to the US citizenship & naturalization office, which has a very strict appointment rule -- they said they would void my application if I miss this appointment. I have another appointment early in the morning for my sick kitty. All of these give a lot of pressure and stress on me already :-(.

I looked for a train and bus (thanks much carolina dawg2 for the info, as I think you took some time to research for me.), but I will still need to take taxi, etc. from the station to the immigration office. So it didn't work well given the time frame.

booney56 -- Yes, I actually liked the town when I was practicing drive yesterday. It looks very charming with small stores, too. But, I was also concerned if I get very tired by driving 1h. 50 m. to Durham... But, having this alternative route makes me much more comfortable now.

michaelbond -- Thanks much for your sincere suggestion. I don't have a traumatic experience per se specifically associated to the highway drive, but I have a very high level of anxiety and can panic when facing uncertainty. But, as you suggest, I am fully aware that I cannot avoid driving a highway as long as I live in the US (I am from another country which is much smaller and people drive slower even in highway). I asked one of my friends to become my company when moving from IN to NC (as they found I could easily panic by driving highway near the Indy metro area). Fortunately, the appointment is 11am, so I can possibly avoid the rush hour. I will try driving 1-40 first. And, if I start panicking, I will exit I-40 and drive main roads.

Thanks much for everybody for your prompt and sincere responses!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Best of luck to you soycat! I think in this situation, you should go with the more comfortable route that is away from highways. Leave very early so that there isn't an issue with time. You can always drive to Mebane, stop for breakfast for 10-15 minutes and then drive the rest of the way and have plenty of time to get there for your appointment.

The appointment seems like a lot of stress already. Probably best if you don't add additional stress to your life with the highway. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point