U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 04:40 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times

Advertisements

Greensboro may become one of the few cities to have citywide free WiFi.

Susan Ladd: Citywide Wi-Fi would benefit all residents - Local News - News-Record.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 04:47 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,050,504 times
As vital as internet is, I still wonder why everyone doesn't get free WiFi yet.

Luckily, I've noticed internet companies (SuddenLink, CenturyLink) are dropping their prices A LOT for internet lately. SuddenLink has rates down to $15 a month, I'm with CenturyLink and only pay $10/month for DSL + free router/WiFi...

TIP: To get a cheaper rate, call your company and tell them its too much and you're wanting to switch companies... they will offer you a lower price if you stay with them! Its what I did and it works.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:08 AM

84 posts, read 191,196 times
If we could have community broadband that would do more, but AT&T and Time Warner spent a lot of money to elect Republicans to make sure our cable bills stay highest in the country for what we get in NC

I am worried that Greensboro is going to suffer hard from Google being in Raleigh and Charlotte but not here, but hopefully North State should help with that. I'd support a sales tax hike to subsidize it for a few years.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arstal View Post
If we could have community broadband that would do more, but AT&T and Time Warner spent a lot of money to elect Republicans to make sure our cable bills stay highest in the country for what we get in NC

I am worried that Greensboro is going to suffer hard from Google being in Raleigh and Charlotte but not here, but hopefully North State should help with that. I'd support a sales tax hike to subsidize it for a few years.
...and Winston-Salem, among a couple of others.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
...and Winston-Salem, among a couple of others.
Nope. Not Google Fiber. That's probably AT&T U-Verse Gigapower that you're thinking of, which is also a big fiber network with serious speed.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Nope. Not Google Fiber. That's probably AT&T U-Verse Gigapower that you're thinking of, which is also a big fiber network with serious speed.
Either way it's city-wide high speed wifi that several cities already have in NC. I hope Greensboro gets it too.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:27 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Except that it's not city-wide (yet) and it's not wifi.

The bigger difference, though, is that Google Fiber offers service that's much slower than their premium fiber connection, but still faster than a lot of cable and most DSL (5mbps) for free. You pay a construction fee up front (300 bucks or so) and there's no monthly charge for the connection.

But going back to the original post, municipal wifi has a long and checkered past. Many cities started similar programs but misjudged the cost of upkeep and ended up phasing the initiatives out. So there are lots of success stories, but lots of cautionary tales, too. I hope Greensboro will be the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point