Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Oh it's not that bad...it's an addition to both street level and skyline, so it's better than nothing. The apartments are actually pretty nice, and the building isn't bad it's just the basically the same every time. One by itself won't be as noticeable.
It just comes across as cheap and almost suburbanish to me, being replicated in so many different cities. I sure hope this isn't a new urban trend or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,379,073 times
So are the two developers mentioned in the first post competing? Cooperating? And what makes people think this is Skyhouse? Do the developers listed have some connection to Skyhouse? Is Skyhouse a franchise? A potential partner for the developer who lands the space?

Also, is there a link to the source of the original post? I looked on the WS website but didn't see it.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,412,272 times
Now, I would like to see something like this in center city:

Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,217,418 times
Because of the nature of my profession Im able to hear and see some developments that may be in the works. Through discussion with some coworkers I saw what appears to be a 10 story apartment building planned for Cherry St/4th st near the Nissen Building. Not sure if anyone else has heard about it.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-10-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 PM

4th and Cherry? Not sure where they’d put a building that size. They demoed some smaller buildings a few doors down from the intersection, but a 10 story there would be very tight. Are you sure they weren’t referring to rumors of an 8-10 story building at 4th and Patterson in the Innovation Quarter?

Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM

I saw a rendering showing a 10 story apartment building on the corner of Cherry and 4th across from the Nissen building and it was attached to some other development along 4th street. It was a computer generated rendering with what looked like a preliminary concept design.
I did look at google street view and yes some historic buildings along 4th would have to be demolished. Dont know if it is the final plan but it looks like it could be associated with whatever is happening a little further down on Cherry St. I dont want to post the rendering because if its a current development, it hasn't been publically announced yet.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:09 PM

Hm. I’d be surprised if they were planning to demolish the Patten Building.

There was a plan a decade ago to build a development called MINIM, a ten-story high rise, very narrow, in that space east of the Patten Building, while also refurbishing Patten as well. Maybe some noise around that is kicking up again?

Old 12-11-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Hm. I’d be surprised if they were planning to demolish the Patten Building.

There was a plan a decade ago to build a development called MINIM, a ten-story high rise, very narrow, in that space east of the Patten Building, while also refurbishing Patten as well. Maybe some noise around that is kicking up again?
Its possible. But like I said the rendering I saw looked like a concept. Anyway a tower in that vicinity would create some nice density.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its possible. But like I said the rendering I saw looked like a concept. Anyway a tower in that vicinity would create some nice density.
Sure, it wouldn't hurt, but if I had to pick the downtown intersection that's the LEAST in need of additional density, 4th and Cherry would be right up there. And there's a new hotel going up half a block south of that site and another going in a couple of blocks west, plus a new apartment development going in on 4th between Poplar and Spruce.

I think something like that MINIM concept would be really neat, but I definitely wouldn't want to see a lovely historic building razed to make way for an apartment tower when there are multiple surface lots and uninspiring structures within a 2-3 block radius that could make way for a tower.

But your rumor is the first I'd heard of it! I'll reserve judgment until a plan comes to light.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM

I saw the MINIM. That looked cool. The rendering I saw was totally different and has a lot of balconies on the Cherry St side. Its right on the corner of Cherry and 4th. I dont think too many people saw the rendering I saw so either its an active propsal that is not public yet or a concept of something that a developer is currently putting together. I say this because of the nature of my occupation and this was something new that just came in. Whether it comes to fruition we'll find out. The MINIM was a really narrow rectangular building. This one is more square.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-11-2017 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point