U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,542 times

Advertisements

I know that this is a weird question.

What is the "good" but not "fancy" grocery store in NC.

I grew up where the regular grocery store was Kroger, Publix was the "Nice" store, and Food Lion was the old, slightly questionable store. All of our Food Lion's are gone. In the are we are looking at renting in W-S it is all Food Lion.

Is this normal? Am I going to want to drive past all these to go somewhere else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:14 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,247,689 times
Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, Publix, Fresh Market & Earth Fare. When I lived in W-S it was mostly Lowes Foods.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:34 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
Food Lion varies in quality and age by store. I wouldn't totally rule it out, at least for basics. Don't forget about WalMart. Pricewise, Food Lion is slightly higher in prices than WalMart and less expensive than Lowes Food, Harris Teeter, and all the others mentioned above. The "fancy" stores in W-S are Whole Foods and Fresh Market. Publix is under construction with its first store in W-S on Cloverdale Ave.

Kroger and Earth Fare do not have stores in W-S.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
As others have said, your closest things to Publix are Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods, though a Publix is under construction as we speak.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:20 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Publix is under construction with its first store in W-S on Cloverdale Ave.
Oops... my mistake... the actual location is Miller St, near the intersection of Cloverdale.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPharmd View Post
I know that this is a weird question.

What is the "good" but not "fancy" grocery store in NC.

I grew up where the regular grocery store was Kroger, Publix was the "Nice" store, and Food Lion was the old, slightly questionable store. All of our Food Lion's are gone. In the are we are looking at renting in W-S it is all Food Lion.

Is this normal? Am I going to want to drive past all these to go somewhere else?

Thanks!
Food Lion can vary by neighborhood; in the lower income areas you can expect the pedestrian stores of the Tom Smith era. Where FL has a presence in higher income areas the décor will be more upscale.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:45 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
Remember, there are a lot more poor people than rich people, Food Lion generally targets them precisely.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Food Lion can vary by neighborhood; in the lower income areas you can expect the pedestrian stores of the Tom Smith era. Where FL has a presence in higher income areas the décor will be more upscale.
Very true...the FL in Clemmons is very nice and new, but I still don't like it.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Very true...the FL in Clemmons is very nice and new, but I still don't like it.
Yes, I did some contract work in that one. I had to walk back out to make sure I was in a Food Lion.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 62,079 times
I think of Harris Teeter and Whole Foods as the fancy stores, and Costco and Trader Joe's as the good, but not fancy, ones. Lowes Foods is also in the fancy range, as was mentioned above. Wal-Mart has some good offerings, particularly with breads and produce, I think. I'm less impressed with the meats there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point