U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,056,435 times

Advertisements

Attending a wedding in Winston-Salem tomorrow6/13/15. Staying Downtown at Marriott. After wedding planning on going out Downtown. Looking for a nice Restaurant and or bar to try. Hopefully in walking distance of hotel. 41 years old so no college bars please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:41 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
There aren't many college bars downtown. You'll feel comfortable most places. What kind of restaurant are you looking for? You'll find lots of options along 4th st. and up Trade St, and I have my favorites, but an idea of what kind of food/scene you like can narrow it down.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,669,609 times
If you are up for a casual but energetic experience... Twin City Ribfest is going on this weekend in downtown W-S.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There aren't many college bars downtown. You'll feel comfortable most places. What kind of restaurant are you looking for? You'll find lots of options along 4th st. and up Trade St, and I have my favorites, but an idea of what kind of food/scene you like can narrow it down.
Nothing too fancy. Something unique to Winston. A casual place where I could get a good drink or two.

The twin city rib fest sounds interesting.Details

Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 PM

Tate's is great for cocktails. I've never had the food there, and don't think they have a full menu. It's right next door to Honey Pot, which is a great restaurant but maybe fancier than you want. Sixth and Vine is good if wine's your thing, and their food is quite good. If you're into beer, Foothills is a good spot for you. Excellent beer and good food in a nice (but casual) space.

There are lots of options, though, around where you'll be.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 PM

And here's more about ribfest: Twin City RibFest

Old 06-13-2015, 12:45 PM

528 posts, read 453,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Nothing too fancy. Something unique to Winston. A casual place where I could get a good drink or two.

The twin city rib fest sounds interesting.Details
Check out the Tavern at Old Salem. It is a very unique restaurant, and it is something in NC that is only found in Winston-Salem. It's currently rated the 2nd best restaurant in W-S (after the extremely expensive upscale Fabian's, which is not near DT). You can walk on the Strollway (a greenway path that connects Downtown and Old Salem) from the Marriott to the Tavern. It's about a 15-20 minute walk if you're up for it. The drinks are also very good at the Tavern.

The other places are also good and worth checking out, but if you're in W-S, why not go someplace unique?

Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 PM

Back in Raleigh after a quick visit to Winston-Salem. I actually had dinner at wedding. But afterwards went downtown walked 4th street. Had drinks at Whisky Box and Jeffery Adams. Had a great time. Btw wedding was at country club in Clemmons,very nice place also. Enjoyed my trip to Winston. Will come back soon and stay longer. Winston-Salem seems like a great city,very underrated. Looking forward to my next trip to see more of what Winston has to offer.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Back in Raleigh after a quick visit to Winston-Salem. I actually had dinner at wedding. But afterwards went downtown walked 4th street. Had drinks at Whisky Box and Jeffery Adams. Had a great time. Btw wedding was at country club in Clemmons,very nice place also. Enjoyed my trip to Winston. Will come back soon and stay longer. Winston-Salem seems like a great city,very underrated. Looking forward to my next trip to see more of what Winston has to offer.
Did it surprise you at all? Some of the comments about W-S on this site seem to characterize the city as declining. I hope it was obvious to you that it's far from declining. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit - there is a lot more to see here so another visit would be a great idea. You're not that far away.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:14 AM

8,569 posts, read 12,685,046 times
We went to Winston-Salem over Memorial Day Weekend for the day for a visit. I really liked it! The downtown was charming and had character. We enjoyed looking at the historic homes in the west end and visiting Old Salem. I don't know what W-S was like before but it is very nice now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or