Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,529,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittergirl View Post
Oh no! That's not good to hear (well, the part about the issues, anyway). Are the roads narrow, then? Do they have no shoulder to ride on?
The rural/secondary/back roads do not have shoulders, but most are wide enough for a vehicle to safely pass a cyclist. Cyclists have been hit by vehicles in the past but I get the impression these accidents are few and far between.
Greensboro for example has some bike lanes but they are not really conducive for long rides due to stopping at intersections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 PM

27 posts, read 46,090 times
Thanks for that - it's a little more encouraging. I obviously need to get down to that area to check it out for myself.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,412,938 times
Look on the left side of this link. It has maps to the Greensboro parks and greenways.

City of Greensboro, NC : Maps

Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM

57 posts, read 128,015 times
knittergirl --

If you want the following, then GSO is a great place to move:

1. Horribly hot, humid weather in the summer, sometimes storms in the winter -- Duke Energy is very slow to fix any problems, basically, they could give a crap if you are dying of the heat or can't leave your house in the winter because of a fallen power line on your car.

2. You like waking up every single morning to see there was another home invasion, shooting, knifing, etc.

3. You like there being a very clear socio-economic divide in the city, i.e., if you happen to fit into the 'good' part of GSO, then you are all set. And when I say very clear divide, I mean, literally you can go from one street to the next and be in a totally different class.

4. You like living in a city where the city could give a **** less about the people who live in the city, whether it is infrastructure, crime, homelessness, animal issues, etc, etc., etc (for an example, just Google how many people have killed themselves by jumping off the parking garage in the past 10 years) and still nothing is done.

5. Check how many businesses have gone out of business.

6. Check into the Civil Rights Museum.

7. Walk down almost any street in GSO and see how you are disrespected and feel threatened.

Again, if you can afford to live in a 'high-class' neighborhood, i.e., Starmount, Irving Park, etc, you will be fine

If you are a real person, then good luck to you!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 AM

57 posts, read 128,015 times
And BTW, I have lived in several cities -- actually grew up in Philly, so I am not naive when it comes to city life, but have never seen anything like this one . . .

Old 06-22-2015, 07:29 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,529,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berly57 View Post
And BTW, I have lived in several cities -- actually grew up in Philly, so I am not naive when it comes to city life, but have never seen anything like this one . . .
Spoken with true lack of objectivity.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:42 PM

27 posts, read 46,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Look on the left side of this link. It has maps to the Greensboro parks and greenways.

City of Greensboro, NC : Maps
These are great Sue! Looks like a lot of opportunities for outdoor activities.

berly57, I'm not planning on living in downtown GSO - I'm looking to live further out. I grew up not far from Newark, NJ, so I'm not easily intimidated by what you're describing. It seems to me that many of your comments would apply to any number of other cities. Since you're not a fan of the city, where WOULD you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point