U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 PM

27 posts, read 38,028 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering moving to the G/WS area and am wondering about a few things. I am original from NJ, but I spent 20+ years in New England before moving to Johnson City, TN in 2011. I have enjoyed living here, and found the people to be warm and friendly.

I have family who recently moved to Southern Pines, and I'd like to live closer to them, but living real near Southern Pines is not for me - the summer temperatures and humidity are both too high, and it's too far from the mountains.

So I'm thinking that G/WS might be a good compromise - get me closer to family, yet still be within easy reach of mountains. Ideally, I'd like to be no more than 90 minutes from my family, but I might consider as much as 2 hours away.

A bit about me: I'm single, 50+, work from home and can work from anywhere as long as I have high-speed internet, love being outdoors - walking, jogging, hiking, biking, horseback riding. I don't have any kids, so don't care about the schools. I rent, and would be looking for a rental situation once I've decided where to live. I'm very holistically minded, and would love to have access to a grocery store like EarthFare, as well as a holistic vet, health care, etc.

Here in JC, it's not safe to bike on the roads, which are crazy narrow, and have no shoulder. I used to have some wonderful bike routes in coastal MA, and I miss being able to get out on the roads. I also miss nice horseback riding trails like I had there and in NJ. Here it's all mountain trails, which are lovely for a change, but not to my taste for day-to-day riding. And I would love to find nice places to walk and hike with my dog.

I'd like to find an area that has reasonable summer temperatures (and humidity), gives me access to the mountains, and where I could live out in the country, yet still get to amenities in around 15 minutes.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Johnson City to be bearable weatherwise throughout most of the summer - with some ugly days, of course. I would love to hear from anyone who is familiar with the JC area, and who could compare the two areas.

I appreciate your reading all the way through my long post, and thanks in advance for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,701,274 times
I don't know enough about JC to compare. I can tell you that Greensboro has nice green ways to bike and walk.

I will also say the more knitters the merrier!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,097,334 times
About the weather, it certainly gets hot here in Winston-Salem. But the nice thing is that it usually cools down to a tolerable level once the sun goes down. I grew up near Southern Pines, and in that part of the state the heat of the day would stick around until well into the night. Ugh!

There are plenty of recreation opportunities in Forsyth County and the surrounding areas--bike trails for both road and mountain biking, greenways, hiking trails, parks, etc.

There is at least one holistic health clinic here; not sure about vets. We also have Whole Foods and Fresh Market, along with plenty of local produce sources.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:10 PM

Thanks for your responses Sue and arbyunc!

Agreed on the more knitters thing! Any good yarn shops in the area? That would be a huge bonus!

I actually prefer road biking to trail biking. The roads here are barely wide enough for two cars, let alone adding a bike into the mix. I imagine this must be about the worst place in the country in terms of road biking. Anything should be an improvement.

I've been watching the weather forecast for here and G/W-S, and it looks like it's typically 5-10 degrees warmer there. Yikes! Arbyunc, did you feel that it was hotter and/or more humid in Southern Pines than in Winston-Salem? Or about the same, except that it stayed warmer longer in SP?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,541,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knittergirl View Post

I actually prefer road biking to trail biking. The roads here are barely wide enough for two cars, let alone adding a bike into the mix. I imagine this must be about the worst place in the country in terms of road biking. Anything should be an improvement.
Road biking is very popular in Winston-Salem. Here's a good local cycling organization: Winston-Salem Cycling

There's an elite cycling center on the way downtown (Elite cycling center coming to downtown Winston-Salem - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal), and the city will host the 2016 and 2017 pro road and TT nationals: Winston-Salem awarded 2016, 2017 Volkswagen USA Cycling Pro Road & TT Nationals - USA Cycling

Quote:
I've been watching the weather forecast for here and G/W-S, and it looks like it's typically 5-10 degrees warmer there. Yikes! Arbyunc, did you feel that it was hotter and/or more humid in Southern Pines than in Winston-Salem? Or about the same, except that it stayed warmer longer in SP?
It's a tad unusual for it to be this warm this early in the summer. We usually don't get this until July/August. According to Accuweather, the average June 16 high for Winston-Salem is 85.

It's a fair bit warmer here than in Johnson City. That's true of anywhere down the mountain. You can drive from Winston to Boone in less than an hour and a half and have a 15 degree difference in temp. Though having said that, I just looked at the temps in Johnson City, and you've been into the 90s too lately, eh?

(and in my experience, Southern Pines is definitely hotter and more humid.)

Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,701,274 times
Quote:

Agreed on the more knitters thing! Any good yarn shops in the area? That would be a huge bonus!
There are some nice shops. People are raising sheep and alpacas (!) south of Greensboro. I bought yarn from a farmer who actually raises Navajo Churro sheep in Alamance County at my farmer's market last week. DM me when you decide where you will be and I'll tell you all about it.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,097,334 times
Quote:
Arbyunc, did you feel that it was hotter and/or more humid in Southern Pines than in Winston-Salem? Or about the same, except that it stayed warmer longer in SP?

Yes, as CarolinabredChicagoan said, it is definitely warmer and more humid in Southern Pines. Usually about 5 degrees warmer there on average, I'd say.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Thanks again for all the great info.

It definitely has been hotter here than usual. I guess that what we're experiencing here might be what your normal is for this time of year.

Good to know about the biking groups. I'm not a hard-core biker, but when I bike I like to work out, as opposed to taking a nice leisurely ride. So it's great to know that road biking is popular there - not so much here, where I'm always surprised when I see someone biking.

Sue - I bet it's nice to be able to get some local fiber. I'm pleased to hear there are some good shops. I had a great LYS in Vermont, and there's a good one here as well.

My sister's now trying to get me to look at Hillsborough, but I think that's too east, too far from the mountains. I'm thinking about taking a vacation cottage in the W-S area for a week, so that I can spend some time driving around checking things out.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:39 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,325,437 times
Quote:

Cycling is quite popular in the area unfortunately there is the same issue here as where you live especially in the rural areas where cyclists go to get unmolested pedal time.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Cycling is quite popular in the area unfortunately there is the same issue here as where you live especially in the rural areas where cyclists go to get unmolested pedal time.
Oh no! That's not good to hear (well, the part about the issues, anyway). Are the roads narrow, then? Do they have no shoulder to ride on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or