U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 PM

16 posts, read 20,785 times

Advertisements

My family and I are hoping to move to North Carolina by August . I have a list of towns that look great on realtor.com but I know nothing about . Hoping someone could fill me in . I am looking at Kernersville, walnut cove, Eden, stokesdale, archdale, trinity, stoneville , Asheboro, Madison, germanton, ramseur Mayodan .i want a safe place for my children to grow up. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
There are lots of safe cities, towns and neighborhoods in NC. Its a large state. Is safety your only criteria? Will you need to find a job? How far are you willing to commute? Is public school quality a concern? Proximity to shopping and amenities?

You can look up crime statistics on this site for all those places.

Eden, Stoneville, Madison and Mayodan are all in Rockingham County, which is struggling mightily economically. You would most likely have to commute to Greensboro or Winston-Salem to work. Walnut Cove, Archdale, Trinity, Germanton and Ramseur are all very small and would also require a commute to Greensboro, High Point or Winston-Salem.

Kernersville is by far the best overall of the places you have listed.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 AM

My husband would be commuting to either moorseville or Burlington . One of my criteria is that we live at least 50 miles from a nuclear power plant . I sound crazy I know . My major concern with the school is violence. I'm also concerned about gang activity in the towns . We are willing to commute to work . At the moment we are 20 miles from work .how is Asheboro?

Last edited by Mlosaw; 06-16-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 AM

I would recommend living close to your husbands job. Both Mooresville and Burlington have safe neighborhoods and good schools, especially Mooresville. It is a very nice town. All of the places you mentioned in your original post are a long way from Mooresville, and most are pretty far from Burlington.

Mooresville is about 30 miles from a nuclear power plant and Burlington is right at 50 miles from one.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,084,360 times
^ Carolinadawg, Mooresville is only 15 miles or so from the McGuire nuclear plant.

But I agree, commuting should be avoided if at all possible. The cost in terms of gas money, auto wear and tear, and time away from the family just isn't worth it if you have a choice about it.

OP, I probably can't change your mind, but your risk of being affected by a nuclear incident is negligible compared to other risks you'll face living in NC, such as tornadoes, car accidents, flooding, or even a random murder. Facing a long commute each day is, to me, much worse than the risk of a nuclear accident. But to each his own...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 AM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Agreed with the above. Live closer to your husband's work. Mooresville and Burlington are both fine towns and you'll be able to find areas nearby with a safe neighborhood and decent schools.

No one wants to tell you how to live your life, but your chances of actually being personally affected by nuclear meltdown or school violence are infinitesimal compared to the danger posed by traveling longer distances to work or (and this is actually a way bigger problem) worrying so much. The leading causes of death in the US are heart disease, cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases (asthma, COPD, etc.), accidents, and stroke. Stress and worry increase your risk for several of those.

Find home. Be happy.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 PM

I agree I'm being neurotic about the npp . We are going to take a trip to look around and check out the areas next month . We are from Massachusetts so it's a trip . Tell me where to check out . If I fall in love with I may forget the 50 miles stipulation.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:06 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
I recommended (every chance I get ) the Meadowlands subdivision in northeast Davidson County, just outside of Wallburg NC.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I recommended (every chance I get ) the Meadowlands subdivision in northeast Davidson County, just outside of Wallburg NC.
Which, as an fyi to the OP is an hour from both Burlington and Mooresville.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or