U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The reality is that its getting built in one form or another This is Roy Carroll he gets what he wants.

It is a project...its called Project 561 That fact that he is in discussions with companies in occupying technically makes it an active project.

Constructionwire

Stage: planning (ACTIVE)
You simply do not know this..."projects" are announced all the time that never make it to completion. This one has a LONG way to go before it is for real. I'll get excited when the permits are issued, but until there are a million things that have to fall into place.

Donald Trump is a good example - I assume you would say he gets what he wants too, but he has announced MANY projects over the years that were never built. They start as ideas, then if they are feasible and realistic they may make it to completion. You can't honestly predict it either way, though I know that you are salivating profusely over the thought of having a taller building than Winston-Salem. W-S has had the tallest title in the Triad for 90 years, so I would say it's time for Greensboro to try to take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Nevertheless it's still a project and if I was a betting man when it comes to Roy Carroll, I would say this project in some form will move forward. Now when it happens, who knows. Carroll has not set a time frame but he did say he was in discussion with "groups" in regards to occupying the tower so actions are being taken. It's not some fantasy vision. It would be downtown's premier business address and it's Roy Carroll so yes there would be some businesses interested. It would seem that the ones that's most skeptical are those from Winston -Salem or have close ties with the city. Ironically some who are skeptical are the same ones clamoring over a "rumored" skyhouse apartment tower in Winston-Salem which are typically built in much larger cities. Those opinions would change if someone said a skyhouse could be built in downtown Greensboro.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-01-2015 at 03:59 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 AM

279 posts, read 278,504 times
Quote:
Nevertheless it's still a project
No. It is not a project. By the developer's OWN words it is an idea only.

You can't cite construction wire as they themselves say on their own site that they cull info from news sites and I already shown that anyone can submit info. Because you don't believe it doesn't really matter.

In fact I would use construction wire as proof it is not a project because it has no party attributed to it. The value of the price is nowhere near anything close to the price of a tower that would be built to Carroll's height. It has no information. You yourself said you thought it could be just a coincidence. So you yourself are saying it is not proof.

Why are you having such a hard time in accepting that no one is against this project but no one appreciates false hyping. This feels like Triumph Center again - not because of the developer in question or plans - but because of you and the battlelines you seem to be drawing with anyone who raises a legitimate question.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:35 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Quote:
Nevertheless it's still a project and if I was a betting man when it comes to Roy Carroll, I would say this project in some form will move forward. Now when it happens, who knows. Carroll has not set a time frame but he did say he was in discussion with "groups" in regards to occupying the tower so actions are being taken. It's not some fantasy vision. It would be downtown's premier business address and it's Roy Carroll so yes there would be some businesses interested. It would seem that the ones that's most skeptical are those from Winston -Salem or have close ties with the city. Ironically some who are skeptical are the same ones clamoring over a "rumored" skyhouse apartment tower in Winston-Salem which are typically built in much larger cities. Those opinions would change if someone said a skyhouse could be built in downtown Greensboro.
Again, no one is doubting Carroll's ability. If anything, we're managing your expectations. Roy is a smart guy and a businessman, and right now he's pitching a building that represents a significant leap in terms of construction height, and he's doing so knowing that such a project would command rents that other smart businessmen would be unlikely to pay.

Would you do it? If you were looking to occupy 10,000 sq ft of office space, would you pay an extra $50-100k for this tower vs. what's available across the street? Where's the business case? It feels to me like the tail wagging the dog.

And I think Roy knows that. I think he's trying to show us what could be, not what will be. I think that's what most people here are saying.

[And as for skyhouse, no one's treating that like anything more than a rumor, and it's a MUCH more feasible project. And, coincidentally, one that I'm not particularly excited about. It's the Starbucks of high rises.]

Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM

279 posts, read 278,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Again, no one is doubting Carroll's ability. If anything, we're managing your expectations. Roy is a smart guy and a businessman, and right now he's pitching a building that represents a significant leap in terms of construction height, and he's doing so knowing that such a project would command rents that other smart businessmen would be unlikely to pay.

Would you do it? If you were looking to occupy 10,000 sq ft of office space, would you pay an extra $50-100k for this tower vs. what's available across the street? Where's the business case? It feels to me like the tail wagging the dog.

And I think Roy knows that. I think he's trying to show us what could be, not what will be. I think that's what most people here are saying.

[And as for skyhouse, no one's treating that like anything more than a rumor, and it's a MUCH more feasible project. And, coincidentally, one that I'm not particularly excited about. It's the Starbucks of high rises.]
^This.

I really can't understand why anyone would ignore that Carroll himself said that the project wasn't even feasible unless he charged rents higher than a lot of Charlotte and on par with Atlanta. You need a bigger business rationale to pay that rent than just so that you have a view from the highest building in the Carolinas outside of Charlotte.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Quote:

Exactly...and no one is on here starting a thread about Skyhouse Winston-Salem. It is admittedly just a rumor. Some people just can't seem to comprehend the difference in an idea/proposal/dream/possibility and a real project. I would love to see this tower happen...it would completely transform the skyline and the city and would be a more appropriate skyline for a city of Greensboro's size. I guess we've done enough debating. Let him live in his fantasy and hopefully it will come true.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
No. It is not a project. By the developer's OWN words it is an idea only.

You can't cite construction wire as they themselves say on their own site that they cull info from news sites and I already shown that anyone can submit info. Because you don't believe it doesn't really matter.

In fact I would use construction wire as proof it is not a project because it has no party attributed to it. The value of the price is nowhere near anything close to the price of a tower that would be built to Carroll's height. It has no information. You yourself said you thought it could be just a coincidence. So you yourself are saying it is not proof.

Why are you having such a hard time in accepting that no one is against this project but no one appreciates false hyping. This feels like Triumph Center again - not because of the developer in question or plans - but because of you and the battlelines you seem to be drawing with anyone who raises a legitimate question.
I Actually contacted someone. The construction wire post is related to Roy Carroll's PROJECT

Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,809,684 times
Quote:
I Actually contacted someone. The construction wire post is related to Roy Carroll's PROJECT
Congratulations! You are awesome. I shudder to think what will happen to your self esteem and happiness if this CONCEPT doesn't come to fruition.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 PM

302 posts, read 537,186 times
There is no lack of hubris. He'll have plenty of time to clean the almost crap out of his pants.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Quote:

If this were sole determining factor then most businesses would be in states where the rent is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point