U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,814,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think Greensboro's skyline needs improvement. The reason Charlotte and Winston-Salem have superior skylines is because of their past history of being financial centers. Raleigh is the state capitol so it's a center of commerce. Greensboro and Durham were neither.
Define "commerce". And what does commerce have to do with being a state capitol? Greensboro was very much a financial center, up until the 1980's. And Durham was a tobacco manufacturing city, with a large insurance company headquartered there. Isn't that commerce?

Charlotte and W-S's skylines are the result of being recent financial centers, by and large, not historic ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:14 AM

4,592 posts, read 4,407,771 times
[quote=carolinadawg2;42433553]Define "commerce". And what does commerce have to do with being a state capitol? Greensboro was very much a financial center, up until the 1980's. And Durham was a tobacco manufacturing city, with a large insurance company headquartered there. Isn't that commerce?

Charlotte and W-S's skylines are the result of being recent financial centers, by and large, not historic ones.[/QUOTE

Charlotte and Winston-Salem have been banking centers for decades so there is some history there in that sector. Greensboro was a small insurance hub but historically Greensboro is more associated with manufacturing /textiles

Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,814,440 times
[quote=gsoboi78;42436331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Define "commerce". And what does commerce have to do with being a state capitol? Greensboro was very much a financial center, up until the 1980's. And Durham was a tobacco manufacturing city, with a large insurance company headquartered there. Isn't that commerce?

Charlotte and W-S's skylines are the result of being recent financial centers, by and large, not historic ones.[/QUOTE

Charlotte and Winston-Salem have been banking centers for decades so there is some history there in that sector. Greensboro was a small insurance hub but historically Greensboro is more associated with manufacturing /textiles
NCNB (predecessor to B of A) was formed by the merger of 2 banks of about equal size, American Commercial of Charlotte, and Greensboro based Security National. The headquarters almost wound up in G'boro and in fact, the company had dual headquarters in both cities for several years after the merger. And Jefferson Standard and Pilot Life were pretty good sized institutions back in the day. Plus Southern Life Insurance was in G'boro. Greensboro may be remembered as a textile/manufacturing city, but that was far from all that was there.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 12-29-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,930,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post

Charlotte and W-S's skylines are the result of being recent financial centers, by and large, not historic ones.

Wachovia began in 1879 and early on was one of the largest banks in the southeast due to clients like RJ Reynolds and Hanes. That seems to quality W-S as an historic banking center, at least within the state. The mergers began in the 80s, but the banks in Charlotte and W-S were already large before that. They were definitely the historic banking centers of the state. Wachovia built the first high rise building in Winston-Salem in 1911.

But I do agree that being banking centers is not the sole reason they have larger skylines...there are multiple reasons for that.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 8,476 times
Seemingly there are many in GSO that feel Greensboro does not need another skyscraper(s) but only mid-rise buildings. I have read several posts that elude to that and some have even suggested a skyscraper 561ft would look really out of place and be an eyesore.....really??? come on people GSO is long, long, long overdue for a tall signature skyscraper and other taller skyscrapers and with Carroll behind it, I sure hope this comes to fruition. I hear that downtown is jumping and really moving at a progressive rate and one major force (person) for this has even said in a video that in the next 2-3 years downtown skyline will look totally different. How so???? From what I have seen and been reading there is.......Bellemeade Square, Hyatt Place, and some other low rise development. This will not make GSO look totally different, Skyscrapers will tho. These low rise developments are okay but how will it totally change how downtown looks and the skyline? You can't see these building until you actually drive by them. None are no more than 6-7 floors. Is this considered a skyscraper? I KNOW IT CAN'T BE CONSIDERED. For as long as I can remember GSO has always been way way behind other cities as far as having a nice skyline to look at and more importantly to be proud of. It is time for GSO to build verticle and taller than Jefferson Pilot....375 ft tall and just 20 stories. That's not too tall at all. This comes straight out of Roanoke, VA but I lived in GSO for years and just love GSO and want to see GSO build upward!!! THE SKY IS THE LIMIT...

Old 12-31-2015, 04:33 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,930,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneone View Post
Seemingly there are many in GSO that feel Greensboro does not need another skyscraper(s) but only mid-rise buildings. I have read several posts that elude to that and some have even suggested a skyscraper 561ft would look really out of place and be an eyesore.....really??? come on people GSO is long, long, long overdue for a tall signature skyscraper and other taller skyscrapers and with Carroll behind it, I sure hope this comes to fruition. I hear that downtown is jumping and really moving at a progressive rate and one major force (person) for this has even said in a video that in the next 2-3 years downtown skyline will look totally different. How so???? From what I have seen and been reading there is.......Bellemeade Square, Hyatt Place, and some other low rise development. This will not make GSO look totally different, Skyscrapers will tho. These low rise developments are okay but how will it totally change how downtown looks and the skyline? You can't see these building until you actually drive by them. None are no more than 6-7 floors. Is this considered a skyscraper? I KNOW IT CAN'T BE CONSIDERED. For as long as I can remember GSO has always been way way behind other cities as far as having a nice skyline to look at and more importantly to be proud of. It is time for GSO to build verticle and taller than Jefferson Pilot....375 ft tall and just 20 stories. That's not too tall at all. This comes straight out of Roanoke, VA but I lived in GSO for years and just love GSO and want to see GSO build upward!!! THE SKY IS THE LIMIT...

I don't know if anyone is saying that GSO doesn't NEED a tall building, but that the need will have to be there before one is built. The days of building spec high rises are over, and short of a major corporate relocation - either within the city or outside of it - this building won't get off the ground. He is not going to build it nor can he get financing without a large tenant.

A taller building wouldn't look out of place at all...it won't be THAT tall, and there are other good-sized buildings already there. The midrise buildings aren't great for the skyline, but they are great for the street-level presence of the city. I would take a good number of midrise buildings (infill) over one tall building any day. They make the city more lively and livable.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:28 PM

825 posts, read 1,020,550 times
I really don't understand the whole look out of place thing, it would really complement the current skyline.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 AM

It wouldn't look out of place. In fact it's just what they skyline needs. Greensboro's skyline seems a little flat because the tallest buildings are about the same height

Old 01-01-2016, 12:20 PM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,734 times
It might look out of place like Devon Tower looks a little awkward in the Oklahoma City Skyline due to its height

Here is Devon:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ABQQMwgfKAAwAA

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...DvUQMwgtKA4wDg

This Roy Carrol tower should stick out more than Devon Tower in OKC.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-01-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It might look out of place like Devon Tower looks a little awkward in the Oklahoma City Skyline due to its height

Here is Devon:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ABQQMwgfKAAwAA

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...DvUQMwgtKA4wDg

This Roy Carrol tower should stick out more than Devon Tower in OKC.
The tower in the link you posted is well over 561 feet tall and is much much taller than surrounding buildings. Even still it doesnt look that bad in Oklahoma City Skyline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point