U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 03:33 PM

7 posts, read 8,468 times

Advertisements

The building would NOT look out of place at all and It is exactly what GSO needs! We have enough midrise buildings and along with more midrise buildings it will continue to make GSO's skyline look flat and like all the buildings are about the same height. My question is.....So what if it sticks out, what is the big deal? I would rather it stick out and bring some presence to downtown than build another midrise (s) that will blend right in with similar buildings and it will be hard to even tell where the new buildings are. I do think that the demand is there for a new signature tower and I do feel that Carroll will land tenants for this proposed endeavor. A mixed use tower is what is needed that maybe could have a hotel included. Time to build upward GSO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM

54 posts, read 46,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneone View Post
The building would NOT look out of place at all and It is exactly what GSO needs! We have enough midrise buildings and along with more midrise buildings it will continue to make GSO's skyline look flat and like all the buildings are about the same height. My question is.....So what if it sticks out, what is the big deal? I would rather it stick out and bring some presence to downtown than build another midrise (s) that will blend right in with similar buildings and it will be hard to even tell where the new buildings are. I do think that the demand is there for a new signature tower and I do feel that Carroll will land tenants for this proposed endeavor. A mixed use tower is what is needed that maybe could have a hotel included. Time to build upward GSO.
I'm curious...based on what?

Old 01-01-2016, 06:36 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,299,795 times
I didn't say Devon tower looked bad in OKC. I just said it sticks out, which it does. But keeping sizes into perspective, The Greensboro tower will stick out similar to Devon. And it doesn't matter that it does: Someone Said the tower will not stick out. I think it will, and I used what I believed is a valid comparison to OKC (if one can keep things into perspective)

OKC Tallest:

- 845ft.
- 553 Ft.
- 500 Ft.
- 440 Ft.
- 434 Ft.
- 433 Ft.
- 405 Ft.
Etc etc

GSO:

- 561 Ft.
- 374 Ft.
- 295 Ft.
- 290 Ft.
- 233 Ft.
- 240 Ft.
- >200 Ft.

It's

Old 01-02-2016, 11:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I didn't say Devon tower looked bad in OKC. I just said it sticks out, which it does. But keeping sizes into perspective, The Greensboro tower will stick out similar to Devon. And it doesn't matter that it does: Someone Said the tower will not stick out. I think it will, and I used what I believed is a valid comparison to OKC (if one can keep things into perspective)

OKC Tallest:

- 845ft.
- 553 Ft.
- 500 Ft.
- 440 Ft.
- 434 Ft.
- 433 Ft.
- 405 Ft.
Etc etc

GSO:

- 561 Ft.
- 374 Ft.
- 295 Ft.
- 290 Ft.
- 233 Ft.
- 240 Ft.
- >200 Ft.

It's

It won't stick out any more than Charlotte's BOA Corporate Center did when it was built 1992:

871'
588'
503'
462'
433'

It was 283' taller than the tallest at that time, while the one in Greensboro is only 187' taller than the current tallest. Would you have been against BOA being built in Charlotte because it would stick out too much? It's not like they are talking about building a 1000' building that will be more than double the next tallest...it will be less than 200' taller, and that's a pretty common. Atlanta's BOA Plaza is 152' taller than the 2nd tallest; Nashville's is 127' taller; Mobile's is 321' taller; Cleveland's is 176' taller; Pittsburgh's is 120' taller; the tallest in MANY cities is at least 100' taller than the 2nd tallest, so it's a pretty common occurrence.

187' on the Greensboro skyline will not stand out all that much...in the OKC example the tallest is nearly 300' taller than the 2nd tallest.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,299,795 times
Devon is 1.53x taller than its second largest.
The Roy Carrol will be 1.5x taller than the second tallest

Devon is 1.69x taller than the 3rd tallest
Roy Tower will be 1.9x taller than the 3rd tallest

Devon is 1.92x taller than the 4th tallest
Roy's is 1.93x taller than GSO's 4th

Devon is 1.94 x taller than the 5th
Roy's will be 2.4x taller than the 5th

And I personally like shiny towers even if they are out of place. Charlotte First Union; would've loved.

I just think it will stick out similar to Devon Tower. Which I don't consider a bad thing.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
It'll stick out. Feet don't matter. Height is all relative. As Charlotte485 says, though, whether that is a good or bad thing is all a matter of perspective. On one hand, a "signature" tower needs to stand out, and this tower would, if it were ever to be built.

Personally, I'd rather see a tower that's more like 20% taller than the Lincoln Financial Building, and which has a more pronounced spire that doesn't attempt to duplicate the sloped roof of the LF like the Wells Fargo Tower does. And I'd like to see the rest of the sq footage that would be in the extra 10 stories or so distributed elsewhere downtown. But I've said that before.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM

97 posts, read 191,444 times
Greensboro needs it. They do not even have a 20 story building while Winston-Salem has 6 over 20 stories. Lets talk floor count...not to the top of a dome or anything. I am not from the Triad so I am not partial to any city...but downtown Greensboro needs work. How many buildings are in downtown Greensboro....4 very short ones. When they show the skyline on the news...I am like they really should not show that. I hope they get the new building. Might look funny with only 1 high rise though. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 PM

7 posts, read 8,468 times
Yes Greensboro does need new skyscrapers. There are 2 buildings downtown with a 20 and 21 floor but that is it. So sad! Then there are some that still want more mid-rise buildings. I don't understand their thinking. Time to build upward GSO!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:53 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneone View Post
Yes Greensboro does need new skyscrapers. There are 2 buildings downtown with a 20 and 21 floor but that is it. So sad! Then there are some that still want more mid-rise buildings. I don't understand their thinking. Time to build upward GSO!
You do realize the issue of building height has nothing to do with some people's "wants", don't you? Its a matter of economics and financing.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Devon is 1.53x taller than its second largest.
The Roy Carrol will be 1.5x taller than the second tallest

Devon is 1.69x taller than the 3rd tallest
Roy Tower will be 1.9x taller than the 3rd tallest

Devon is 1.92x taller than the 4th tallest
Roy's is 1.93x taller than GSO's 4th

Devon is 1.94 x taller than the 5th
Roy's will be 2.4x taller than the 5th

And I personally like shiny towers even if they are out of place. Charlotte First Union; would've loved.

I just think it will stick out similar to Devon Tower. Which I don't consider a bad thing.

The Greensboro tower will be .67 taller than the 2nd tallest while Devon Tower is 1.59x taller than the 2nd tallest. You conveniently left that one out for odd reason, when it's the one that really counts. The others in your examples aren't very different - but that one IS.

Devon is 297' taller than the 2nd tallest...Greensboro's tower would be 187' taller than the 2nd tallest. You can try to justify the numbers any way you wish, but the fact is that 297' is FAR higher than 187'...over 100'. That's a significant number. The fact is, and I showed this in my previous post, that this tower wouldn't "stick out" any more than most other tallests in other cities already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point