U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
It'll stick out. Feet don't matter. Height is all relative. As Charlotte485 says, though, whether that is a good or bad thing is all a matter of perspective. On one hand, a "signature" tower needs to stand out, and this tower would, if it were ever to be built.

Personally, I'd rather see a tower that's more like 20% taller than the Lincoln Financial Building, and which has a more pronounced spire that doesn't attempt to duplicate the sloped roof of the LF like the Wells Fargo Tower does. And I'd like to see the rest of the sq footage that would be in the extra 10 stories or so distributed elsewhere downtown. But I've said that before.

Fortunately developers don't build towers to satisfy the whimsy of an individual's opinion on the skyline. They build for demand - not what looks good on the skyline. That's why I seriously doubt this one will get off the ground...but if it does it won't look any more conspicuous than any other city's tallest.

I believe I posted MANY cities that have a tallest that stands out much more than this one would, so it's not an uncommon thing...in fact is a very common thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
Greensboro needs it. They do not even have a 20 story building while Winston-Salem has 6 over 20 stories. Lets talk floor count...not to the top of a dome or anything. I am not from the Triad so I am not partial to any city...but downtown Greensboro needs work. How many buildings are in downtown Greensboro....4 very short ones. When they show the skyline on the news...I am like they really should not show that. I hope they get the new building. Might look funny with only 1 high rise though. Good luck.

You can't go by floor counts because ceiling heights are different from building to building...that's why you have to rely on overall height. Yes, some buildings have spires, crowns, or domes that add to the architectural interest of the building and sometimes adds height to it, but so be it. The new Greensboro building has a spire as well that adds a good number of feet to the overall height.

Example: the Westin Peachtree in Atlanta is 73 floors but only 723'...by comparison One Atlantic Center is 50 floors but 820'. Hotels normally have lower ceiling heights than office buildings. This kind of discrepancy is very common among skyscrapers.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
Just to make a correction. Greensboro has three 20 plus story buildings.

Lincoln Financial Tower (downtown) 20 floors (with the pyramid top, the height of a 27 story office tower)
Wells Fargo Tower (downtown) 21 floors
Sheraton Four Seasons Greensboro (I-40/coliseum area) 28 floors

Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Fortunately developers don't build towers to satisfy the whimsy of an individual's opinion on the skyline. They build for demand - not what looks good on the skyline .
Not sure why you quoted me. Did I suggest anything contrary to what you posted?

Old 01-11-2016, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,450 times
Any concrete news on this? I ask as a friend of mine involved in commercial real estate in the Triad said this is a no-go due to lack of interest from even a single potential tenant willing to take a sizable chunk of the lease-able space.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martoCr View Post
Any concrete news on this? I ask as a friend of mine involved in commercial real estate in the Triad said this is a no-go due to lack of interest from even a single potential tenant willing to take a sizable chunk of the lease-able space.
I think your second sentence answers your question. Its a pipe dream.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Not sure why you quoted me. Did I suggest anything contrary to what you posted?
You seemed to be suggesting that the skyline would be more attractive in your opinion with certain building heights, and I responded that developers don't build to specifically beautify the skyline but rather to the specifications of the demand. I wasn't necessarily talking to you but just making the general comment. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 PM

Well here is a rendering I created showing what project 561 could look like. I placed the tower next to Roy Carroll's Center Pointe Tower, the likely location for project 561. Took me hours to recreate Center Pointe and design the tower.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-23-2016 at 12:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 12:36 PM

Another one I created which show more of the surrounding towers

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-23-2016 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 04:43 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Nicely done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point