U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:42 AM

279 posts, read 278,313 times

Advertisements

I notice a few people are taking one part of my post completely out of context and appear to be getting offended so I wanted to clarify.

Yes I used the pie in the sky reference, but the context was based on all the ambiguity of the idea (which is all it is - it is not even an official proposal with location, environmental studies, tenants, etc). I also said in the very next sentence that because this was Roy Carroll I suspect this would get done.

I say this with respect for Greensboro which I love, but I think there is a pattern of uber-sensitivity from certain parties to get very offended about any comment that is less that applause for the city and development.

Here is hoping that Roy Carroll puts out something concrete so that the ambiguity is removed and then here's hoping it gets built and adds magnificently to the Greensboro skyline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:12 AM

4,576 posts, read 4,393,634 times
Most developers tend to keep hush hush until they have a concrete plan. Roy likes to throw it out there before plans are finalized. He did the same with Bellemeade Village. That project actually started out as being just a hotel then it evolved to something much bigger. nc guy I didn't take offense to anything you said. It was a remark made by one of those Winston Salem posters that has to say something negative about any great news about Greensboro. I imagine the threat of Greensboro taking the title of the Triad's tallest building has something to do with it

Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
This project reeks of the one-upmanship that exists in the Greensboro. There is always a sense of "we have to be bigger/better than Winston-Salem - a clear inferiority complex. It's sad that Traidism can't really exist because of this kind of attitude. Even High Point leaders understands that it doesn't exist in Greensboro: High Point: Greensboro doesn't seem to really want joint economic development - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

Quote:
High Point: Greensboro doesn't seem to really want joint economic development

High Point's city council is redirecting $200,000 that it had set aside for a joint economic development effort with Greensboro and Guilford County.
Council members are concerned that Greensboro leaders aren't fully committed to the concept, the High Point Enterprise reported.
I guess rather than post rumors, ideas, or possible proposals I usually like to see information on actual buildings. There is speculation about a new tallest/corporate headquarters in the Innovation Quarter of Winston-Salem also, but until it actually becomes more concrete you probably won't be reading about it here because it's just hearsay...much like this one in Greensboro. Things like this just magnify the differences between the two cities.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-19-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 03:13 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This project reeks of the one-upmanship that exists in the Greensboro. There is always a sense of "we have to be bigger/better than Winston-Salem - a clear inferiority complex. It's sad that Traidism can't really exist because of this kind of attitude. Even High Point leaders understands that it doesn't exist in Greensboro: High Point: Greensboro doesn't seem to really want joint economic development - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

I guess rather than post rumors, ideas, or possible proposals I usually like to see information on actual buildings. There is speculation about a new tallest/corporate headquarters in the Innovation Quarter of Winston-Salem also, but until it actually becomes more concrete you probably won't be reading about it here because it's just hearsay...much like this one in Greensboro. Things like this just magnify the differences between the two cities.
How is this "one upmanship"? Winston is just as guilty as Greensboro when it comes to this type of thing. These proposals, whether they develop or not, mean that money is looking at ways to invest and grow locally. That in itself is a positive sign for both cities.
As for High Point, who gives a s**t about High Point? High Point involved with investing in anything is like me buying out Warren Buffet with the money I have in my pocket. Guess how that would turn out?
High Point is a bottom feeder city with the only sector currently seeing growth is the one next to Greensboro.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
How is this "one upmanship"? Winston is just as guilty as Greensboro when it comes to this type of thing. These proposals, whether they develop or not, mean that money is looking at ways to invest and grow locally. That in itself is a positive sign for both cities.
As for High Point, who gives a s**t about High Point? High Point involved with investing in anything is like me buying out Warren Buffet with the money I have in my pocket. Guess how that would turn out?
High Point is a bottom feeder city with the only sector currently seeing growth is the one next to Greensboro.
LOL...I absolutely knew that my comment would evoke this kind of response. It's a glowing example of the reason there will never be any true Triadism in our lifetimes. Thank you for proving it!

The sentiments coming out of High Point are echoed in Winston-Salem. Greensboro seems to be constantly looking for partnerships between the Triad cities and then reaping all of the rewards of them, and this has been evident in past situations. I'm glad the leaders in High Point have caught on.

The "one-upmanship" I mentioned that oozes from the Greensboro area is not reciprocated in Winston-Salem in the least. There is a desperation to always be a step ahead over there that is blatantly obvious, and this announcement reeks of it. It's funny how much I like Greensboro, having been a resident there for several years in the past, but I certainly don't like the desperate boosterism.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-19-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Your hubristic zeal is as expected. Despite all the ifs, as Mr Carroll stated, he has to be able to "afford it" before he gets what he wants.
It's typical of some to boast about these things before they have any realistic chance of happening. The Triumph Center, trumpeted by the same people, is a prime example....some people were extremely adamant that it was happening.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-19-2015 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 03:56 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
Joe, we're talking about someone here that would argue about whether Whitsett NC is within the Greensboro city limits back when Lenovo announced they were expanding there. Sorry, but no where near, on my map. Talk about people digging up the posts, and arguing with the hole, who knows?

""who gives a s**t about High Point? ""

That attitude is about par for the course not only for the 'triad' thing, but as for overall chairside opinions in the internet society we live in today. We all know about how cooperation works amongst the triad cities, so we don't even need a discussion about it. It won't be solved or improved upon on this forum.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:56 PM

4,576 posts, read 4,393,634 times
Winston-Salem not guilty? How about the Twin City building a downtown ballpark a few years after Greensboro? Then try to copy Bellemeade Village but make it bigger in scope. As for Carroll's project. No body knows the future. But I will say he has deep pockets and all of his GRAND proposals so far have come to fruition. Comparing Roy Carroll with Issac Cain (Greensboro Triumph Center) is laughable.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-19-2015 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Winston-Salem not guilty? How about the Twin City building a downtown ballpark a few years after Greensboro? Then try to copy Bellemeade Village but make it bigger in scope. As for Carroll's project. No body knows the future. But I will say he has deep pockets and all of his GRAND proposals so far have come to fruition.
LOL again! Winston-Salem had plans for a ballpark long before it ever came up in Greensboro - the one-upmanship, once again, came from that direction. GSO had to get a new on up and running before W-S did. It's funny that you bring that up every time this is discussed and you know that the first plans for a new ballpark were from W-S. Copying Bellemeade Village? LOL again! I could list all of the desperate one-upmanship situations from GSO over the years but it isn't really necessary - deep down everyone already knows about them.

W-S does not copy anything GSO does from what I can tell, and truthfully doesn't need to. The inferiority complex coming from over there is quite obvious, and there is honestly no need for it. I would love for the two to co-exist peacefully and work together, but GSO has proven that this can't happen.

With that I will leave you to enjoy your fantasy.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Joe, we're talking about someone here that would argue about whether Whitsett NC is within the Greensboro city limits back when Lenovo announced they were expanding there. Sorry, but no where near, on my map. Talk about people digging up the posts, and arguing with the hole, who knows?

""who gives a s**t about High Point? ""

That attitude is about par for the course not only for the 'triad' thing, but as for overall chairside opinions in the internet society we live in today. We all know about how cooperation works amongst the triad cities, so we don't even need a discussion about it. It won't be solved or improved upon on this forum.
Exactly. If everyone could have a moment of honesty we could get somewhere, but I don't think it's possible...so nothing good can come of discussing it further. In a better situation I could easily say this sounds great and I hope it gets built, but the track record of the GSO cheerleaders makes it impossible to make such comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point