U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 07:42 PM

72 posts, read 115,547 times

Advertisements

Charlottes cool looking Trump towers were never built. Yes, even charlotte fell victim lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:23 PM

4,599 posts, read 4,416,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Um...the tallest building in Greensboro? That's pretty grand in my book. It would be a game-changer on the skyline. A new tallest is a very big development for any city...I guess it's grand enough to have its own thread with 19 pages.

There is no need to be defensive...I was agreeing that there are no more unrealized proposals in Greensboro than in any other city, unlike the person that said there are always grandiose proposals for GSO that never happen. This happens everywhere.
The point I was trying to make is that you were making it seem like some impossible feat to accomplish. Never mind we had three office towers totaling even more office space under construction at the same time in the late 80s. Back then Greensboro was a smaller city and not a lot was going on downtown yet three office towers managed to rise downtown.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:03 AM

426 posts, read 506,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The point I was trying to make is that you were making it seem like some impossible feat to accomplish. Never mind we had three office towers totaling even more office space under construction at the same time in the late 80s. Back then Greensboro was a smaller city and not a lot was going on downtown yet three office towers managed to rise downtown.
I am Greensboro native. I love "home," though I had to move to a larger city many years after college because I was like you - I wanted to live in a forward-moving, exciting, city. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lifetime to wait.

I felt Greensboro was anti-everything: want to widen a road? not here. new development? not here. pursue a major corporate headquarters? not here. develop an industry alignment such as 'insurance' (Charlotte/banking - RDU/IT)? not here. place a new shopping center on a major thoroughfare? Generally speaking, Greensboro is not having it.

I like the enthusiasm I've seen in your posts over the years, but really - the fact that we have to keep flashing back THIRTY YEARS to downtown high-rise building construction, in a city of almost 300k... in a state that has BOOMED with growth... says enough. How many 'proposals' have come-and-gone in those 30 years?

The ballpark and traction with downtown energy seems to be positive. I have wondered what difference it would have made if Koury Convention Center (and a few other entities scattered about) had been built in the Center City.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM

828 posts, read 1,024,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I am Greensboro native. I love "home," though I had to move to a larger city many years after college because I was like you - I wanted to live in a forward-moving, exciting, city. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lifetime to wait.

I felt Greensboro was anti-everything: want to widen a road? not here. new development? not here. pursue a major corporate headquarters? not here. develop an industry alignment such as 'insurance' (Charlotte/banking - RDU/IT)? not here. place a new shopping center on a major thoroughfare? Generally speaking, Greensboro is not having it.

I like the enthusiasm I've seen in your posts over the years, but really - the fact that we have to keep flashing back THIRTY YEARS to downtown high-rise building construction, in a city of almost 300k... in a state that has BOOMED with growth... says enough. How many 'proposals' have come-and-gone in those 30 years?

The ballpark and traction with downtown energy seems to be positive. I have wondered what difference it would have made if Koury Convention Center (and a few other entities scattered about) had been built in the Center City.
Wow,then that means this city completely changed the way it thought of doing things, as of now, Construction is happening all over the city, In the past i heard that Greensboro was quite the anti forward moving area, i'm glad that has changed so dramatically. And in a way...alittle bit too dramatically. But with progress...comes growing pains.

In a way...

Past Greensboro "If it does not need to be built it does not need to be built, we have other cities with the conveniences you seek, We want to keep Greensboro unchanged, The city is just fine as it is"

VS

Current Greensboro "Build, Build, Build, the city can and will be improved, if there is land, build on it, if the land is occupied, demolish it and Build on it"

I say this because, half the south end of Downtown(ballpark area) was completely knocked down to make way for massive new projects, In a big way it's a great thing, Who does not like impressive new developments? i also say this because there is a massive 8 lane freeway being built in my back yard....

But at the same time it's quite upsetting knocking down History.

Unlike Winston Salem, Which is known to work around and or incorporate new projects into old ones, Greensboro has taken the Charlotte approach of knocking it all down to Build new. This has caused quite a stir with residents who want to keep the history of the city.

People claim they want change and progress, but that is ultimately going to come at a huge price.
And in this case the price is, Knocking down entire neighborhoods, for a 46 mile loop, Or demolishing the equivalent of a small town for shiny new downtown Developments.

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 02-23-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:25 PM

261 posts, read 264,673 times
This should get the OP quivering with excitement:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...1&t=1456885320

Time for some new renderings!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:05 PM

116 posts, read 89,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
This should get the OP quivering with excitement:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...1&t=1456885320

Time for some new renderings!
"We cast a pretty big net, and we've got a couple of large tenants and we have a couple of medium sized tenants interested."

I think this was the most significant quote form the article...confirming that tenants, including large ones, have shown interest.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:39 AM

I think it will show the skeptics that Roy Carroll is serious about this project and that it's not some visionary "dream"

Old 03-02-2016, 06:53 AM

3,823 posts, read 3,318,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think it will show the skeptics that Roy Carroll is serious about this project and that it's not some visionary "dream"

I've always thought if it's built, it's from local companies. Is there temporary office space downtown that could house an out of state company for a couple years?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I've always thought if it's built, it's from local companies. Is there temporary office space downtown that could house an out of state company for a couple years?
I'm not sure. But I'm surprised Carroll has found interested tenants so fast. As for the anchor tenant, there must be something going on behind the scenes for him to really start making some moves on this project. In the article he may be hinting that he is talking to a company interested in relocating it's headquarters to Greensboro but thats just speculation. I think Carroll is going to go with the site that generates the most interest whether it's the site next to his Center Pointe condo tower or the lot he just purchased across from the ballpark. The ballpark site makes a lot of sense. It's located across the intersection from his 300 unit luxury residential hotel project now under construction. And there would be two hotels at that intersection for business clients. The Hyatt Place and the hotel in the 561 tower. The location is also great because it expands Greensboro'skyline away from Elm Street. The design of the tower would be interesting because it would have a spire. While downtown has a few towers with pyramid tops, the city does not have a skyscraper with a spire.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:46 PM

More on potential tenants.....Roy Carroll has had six meetings with various potential tenants, even showing them designs of the building with their corporate logos. "we've put a number of marquee logos on the side of our buildings" "i've got a whole secret file of renderings with different marquees on the side of the building" One of my renderings I sent him has a few company logos on them btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point