U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:32 AM

848 posts, read 1,037,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I view Greensboro & Winston-Salem autonomously and I actually have a distaste for Greensboro. I have hardly any reason as I've been.. maybe twice to Greensboro for a few minutes. Winston-Salem I always loved. Charlotte, Wilmington and Winston-Salem are the 3 NC Cities I like. My friend who lives in Winston-Salem, like 2 miles away from downtown, prefers Greensboro and spends his free time in Greensboro. But I always make us stay in Winston when I go there. Actually, for our birthdays (a few days apart) we'll be going to Greensboro to do a few things. Bicentennial Garden, Bog Garden and Darryl's to eat (My idea was eating at Solstice in NoDa CLT and spending the night Uptown).

That being said I'm not sure how this proposed office tower is viewed as a one up on Winston. Nothing indicated to me by any Greensboro poster or any article any malice or showmans ship towards Winston. And if gsoBoi78 is the same poster as CityBoi on other development forums (which he has similar posting habits) then I've been following him since around 2005 and never known that poster at all to slight Winston and would never show boat a new tallest building to look better than Winston.... At all.
It's the norm in the triad section..

You should definitely spend an evening in downtown Greensboro though, especially the city center park, I guarantee you'll fall in love but that's a suggestion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 AM

84 posts, read 121,369 times
I believe one of Roy Carroll's primary reasons for considering a large office tower is to help support his Bellemeade Village project. If he is able to land a large corporation or two to relocate to downtown then some of those employees would also probably consider renting in his Bellemeade Village complex. He needs to rent out 300 upscale apartments and what better way than to have a 1000 to 2000 new workers in the area to help rent them out. Think about it, its very smart business sense. I don't think you are going to spend millions upon millions just to get one up on Winston-Salem, that makes absolutely no sense.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,346,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I view Greensboro & Winston-Salem autonomously and I actually have a distaste for Greensboro. I have hardly any reason as I've been.. maybe twice to Greensboro for a few minutes. Winston-Salem I always loved. Charlotte, Wilmington and Winston-Salem are the 3 NC Cities I like. My friend who lives in Winston-Salem, like 2 miles away from downtown, prefers Greensboro and spends his free time in Greensboro. But I always make us stay in Winston when I go there. Actually, for our birthdays (a few days apart) we'll be going to Greensboro to do a few things. Bicentennial Garden, Bog Garden and Darryl's to eat (My idea was eating at Solstice in NoDa CLT and spending the night Uptown).

That being said I'm not sure how this proposed office tower is viewed as a one up on Winston. Nothing indicated to me by any Greensboro poster or any article any malice or showmans ship towards Winston. And if gsoBoi78 is the same poster as CityBoi on other development forums (which he has similar posting habits) then I've been following him since around 2005 and never known that poster at all to slight Winston and would never show boat a new tallest building to look better than Winston.... At all.
When you go to Bog Garden keep a watch for the city owls, they had offspring earlier this spring and they were hanging out amongst the trees. Though they keep there distance people don't seem to bother them. Quite the treat I thought.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,346,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
I believe one of Roy Carroll's primary reasons for considering a large office tower is to help support his Bellemeade Village project. If he is able to land a large corporation or two to relocate to downtown then some of those employees would also probably consider renting in his Bellemeade Village complex. He needs to rent out 300 upscale apartments and what better way than to have a 1000 to 2000 new workers in the area to help rent them out. Think about it, its very smart business sense. I don't think you are going to spend millions upon millions just to get one up on Winston-Salem, that makes absolutely no sense.
Good point Yinzer and if you are building a tall tower why not use the tallest building to benchmark the height. This is done all over the world; the Empire State building was once the benchmark.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:03 PM

238 posts, read 256,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
I agree with this view. If Carroll can snatch a NYC headquarters to come downtown(not impossible) then I think a huge tower
makes sense. Just building the tallest Triad tower as a goal with little interest makes no sense. It may happen once downtown
evolves. One of the tallest new towers in Manhattan is a residential tower. I would wait to see what happens at Bellemeade.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM

4,608 posts, read 4,440,049 times
Much like Roy's Bellemeade Village project, this tower project will likely evolve. Right now the plan is for office space and a small hotel. I'm willing to bet he'll add a residential component. However if he does, it would likely become the priciest apartments downtown, north of $1,300 a month for a two bedroom

Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM

4,608 posts, read 4,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
TBJ isn't known for accuracy. It is 34 floors.
I did count the floors looking at a photo and it appears the Wells Fargo tower is 29 stories. When you add the dome its about 34 stories tall.

project 561 in Greensboro will dramatically alter Greensboro's skyline and I hope it will spark more high-rise projects...most likely apartments. Downtown is already getting a 12-story Wyndham hotel. Looking at the height diagram, 561 looms pretty tall over the Lincoln Financial tower and is about the height of a 40 story skyscraper give or take several number of floors when you add the crown or spire. Its about 20 stories shorter than the Bank of America Tower in Charlotte so its pretty tall. It will certainly be visible from the interstates. Carroll said it could include a boutique hotel, which could be something like an Aloft since Carroll deals with hotel chains. 6 floors of the building will be for parking and I'm guessing about 6 to 7 floors for the hotel. If the building has 28 floors that would leave about 15 floors for office space which is certainly feasible for downtown. Downtown office vacancy for class A office space is at an all time low and all it would take is one or two companies like VF Corp and NewBridge Bank to fill the space. If not, several medium sized businesses could fill up 15 floors. Carroll said he is in discussion with groups that would occupy the office space so I guess we'll find out.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-21-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 02:32 AM

848 posts, read 1,037,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I did count the floors looking at a photo and it appears the Wells Fargo tower is 29 stories. When you add the dome its about 34 stories tall.

project 561 in Greensboro will dramatically alter Greensboro's skyline and I hope it will spark more high-rise projects...most likely apartments. Downtown is already getting a 12-story Wyndham hotel. Looking at the height diagram, 561 looms pretty tall over the Lincoln Financial tower and is about the height of a 40 story skyscraper give or take several number of floors when you add the crown or spire. Its about 20 stories shorter than the Bank of America Tower in Charlotte so its pretty tall. It will certainly be visible from the interstates. Carroll said it could include a boutique hotel, which could be something like an Aloft since Carroll deals with hotel chains. 6 floors of the building will be for parking and I'm guessing about 6 to 7 floors for the hotel. If the building has 28 floors that would leave about 15 floors for office space which is certainly feasible for downtown. Downtown office vacancy for class A office space is at an all time low and all it would take is one or two companies like VF Corp and NewBridge Bank to fill the space. If not, several medium sized businesses could fill up 15 floors. Carroll said he is in discussion with groups that would occupy the office space so I guess we'll find out.
One thing i like about Mr. carroll is that he looks at his projects from realistic perspectives. Rather then saying i'm just going to build a tall Class A office tower, He breaks it down into a simple realistic perspective of:

6 stories for a parking deck, 7 stories for a boutique hotel and 15 floors for class A office space.

I however am not positive residential could work. I also don't think it's needed as Roy is currently building Bellemeade Village.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 AM

279 posts, read 279,752 times
I don't know if anyone else saw the Allen Johnson's Sunday column in the N&R but the headline immediately got me:"Is Carroll's tower another in a long line of local Big Ideas that go pffft?" I don't think we are allowed to link to external sites here (if we can please let me know) but it is a great read if you look it up.

It starts with the whole debacle of the Greensboro Triumph back in 2007-2008. That "project" was such an obvious mess to anyone who had even the slightest bit of awareness of how real estate and investor based projects work that it was really was an embarrassment for the city and anyone who rallied behind it. I don't know if anyone remembers but it was particularly hyped by Ray Gibbs who at the time was head of the DGI and then left to work for the developer. That relationship and conflict of interest is something that hurt DGI for years afterwards as I've been told by insiders.

After recapping that, the column then asked if this (Project 561) is the same thing?

The piece was similar to my original post on this thread as it raised a lot of realistic and pragmatic questions of whether this was actually going to happened based on what we little know about the project and past foolishness of certain Greensboro advocates to just announce things as fait accompli only to see them scaled back dramatically or completely fall apart.

But, like me, the column then comes down as hopeful based on the developer in question.

The only thing I disagree with the piece is the mention of some of the successes in Greensboro as I still don't see those as completed or fully realized. For example the Union Square campus is dramatically smaller than originally hyped and while I am hopeful at the PAC, I wouldn't say anything about it as a success until it is not just built but operating successfully for at least several years.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,555,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
I don't know if anyone else saw the Allen Johnson's Sunday column in the N&R but the headline immediately got me:"Is Carroll's tower another in a long line of local Big Ideas that go pffft?" I don't think we are allowed to link to external sites here (if we can please let me know) but it is a great read if you look it up.
I think it's only a problem if it's a competing site. Let's see:

Is Carroll's tower another in a long line of local Big Ideas that go pffft? - Greensboro News & Record: Thinking Out Loud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point