U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
Reputation: 8901

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There has certainly been a dry spell. Just a time correction.The Koury Convention Center actually opened in 1990. The 28-story Sheraton tower (known as the Holiday Inn Four Seasons at the time) was built atop the convention center in 1994. The most recent high-rise in Greensboro that was constructed was the Grandover Resort in 1997. Center Pointe was built in 2008 but technically its not a new high-rise even though the building was gutted to its steel frame. It use to be the old Wachovia building. There was a 22-story office tower/apartment building that was suppose to be built in Greensboro near PTI off of I-40 called Triad Tower. Its most likely been canceled after this many years. The website is no longer up. That plan was shelved when the economy tanked in 2007/2008. Right now downtown is slated for two high-rises and who know there could be more surprises.

This is what the Empire State Building looks like in downtown Greensboro. The city was featured in a toilet paper commercial that aired nationwide and there were aerial clips of downtown including one with the Empire State Building made of empty toilet paper rolls.
I saw that commercial- the "roll less" paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:07 AM
 
426 posts, read 507,152 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its exciting to think downtown Greensboro could actually get a building this tall.
I remember the "boom" of the 3 towers being built simultaneously in the late 80s/early 90s, and I agree that Greensboro is overdue for tower construction. However, a building on the scale of the one in the image posted would look crazy.

Downtown GSO would have a better visual aesthetic by adding 3 15-story buildings versus some incredible high-rise that stands alone and dwarfs everything around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM
 
7,280 posts, read 13,544,406 times
Reputation: 3617
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I remember the "boom" of the 3 towers being built simultaneously in the late 80s/early 90s, and I agree that Greensboro is overdue for tower construction. However, a building on the scale of the one in the image posted would look crazy.

Downtown GSO would have a better visual aesthetic by adding 3 15-story buildings versus some incredible high-rise that stands alone and dwarfs everything around it.
Agreed. When you build a building that much taller than the others in a skyline like Greensboro's (or Winston's or Raleigh's or any other midsize city), sometimes you get the effect of making everything else seem shorter by comparison. It throws off the scale.

Adding density with buildings that are still tall, but on a more similar scale to what's around them, is going to make downtown appear more dense both at street level and from a distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,604 posts, read 4,425,792 times
Reputation: 1510
Downtown will indeed get some of that smaller density. There is a 12 story Wyndham hotel in the works and midrise projects such as Bellemeade Village help build a base for such tall towers. The way downtown is booming, I wouldn't be surprised to a small apartment high-rise in the works over the next several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 06:33 PM
 
51 posts, read 43,753 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Agreed. When you build a building that much taller than the others in a skyline like Greensboro's (or Winston's or Raleigh's or any other midsize city), sometimes you get the effect of making everything else seem shorter by comparison. It throws off the scale.

Adding density with buildings that are still tall, but on a more similar scale to what's around them, is going to make downtown appear more dense both at street level and from a distance.
I have the exact opposite view. Does Greensboro really need another mid rise just like the 4-5 other buildings that size downtown? Why not build one that makes a statement, becomes a landmark for the city and can be seen from I-40? A building like that would really draw interstate traffic downtown, which would grow downtown and bring more dollars into the community.

And I still think renaming PTI Greensboro International or Greensboro/Winston-Salem International is a no brainer. That's free advertising across the country. Or the leaders could sit by, keep the status quo, and continue to watch PTI lose passenger traffic year by year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT21 View Post
I have the exact opposite view. Does Greensboro really need another mid rise just like the 4-5 other buildings that size downtown? Why not build one that makes a statement, becomes a landmark for the city and can be seen from I-40? A building like that would really draw interstate traffic downtown, which would grow downtown and bring more dollars into the community.

And I still think renaming PTI Greensboro International or Greensboro/Winston-Salem International is a no brainer. That's free advertising across the country. Or the leaders could sit by, keep the status quo, and continue to watch PTI lose passenger traffic year by year.
I agree with you here. Anyone heard of the Empire State building? At one point it was the tallest building in the world. Have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,604 posts, read 4,425,792 times
Reputation: 1510
I'd also like to add that when the Bank of America tower in Charlotte was built it dwarfed all the other towers uptown by at least 25 stories in height. Greensboro needs something taller. We have what I call a flat top skyline where the four tallest buildings are about the same height. We don't need another 20 story tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 06:27 AM
 
279 posts, read 279,285 times
Reputation: 688
I don't really see the point in posting photos other buildings as an example of the height. I do think diagram image on the first page with the greensboro skyline already offered the visual people need.

This is sort of what happened with the Triumph Center where people were posting all kinds of "could look like" pictures and hype and it distracted from the real discussion.

I think at this point we need to wait until Roy Carroll actually announces that this has moved from the idea stage (which he himself has made clear it is what it is right now) to the official announced stage with renderings, tenant, and location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 AM
 
7,280 posts, read 13,544,406 times
Reputation: 3617
It's a matter of opinion. I'm not opposed to a focal point for the city, but I think a tower 200+ feet taller does throw off the scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,604 posts, read 4,425,792 times
Reputation: 1510
The project may or may not happen but I Also know that Roy Carroll Is a credible developer and a smart man. If he didn't think he could pull this off he wouldn't even attempt it. As the article said he is in discussion with groups interested in leasing the space. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that the general public doesn't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top