U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The project may or may not happen but I Also know that Roy Carroll Is a credible developer and a smart man. If he didn't think he could pull this off he wouldn't even attempt it.
I dispute no part of that.

Quote:
As the article said he is in discussion with groups interested in leasing the space. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that the general public doesn't know about.
"In discussions" is a pretty vague term. And he himself frames this project as an exercise in "dreaming bigger." I don't doubt his ability. I just think it might be a project more about style than substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:21 AM

4,581 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I dispute no part of that.

"In discussions" is a pretty vague term. And he himself frames this project as an exercise in "dreaming bigger." I don't doubt his ability. I just think it might be a project more about style than substance.
I Actually remember the same kind of talk coming from Roy Carroll about his Bellemeade Village project about 3 years ago and look where we are now. He clearly is pursuing this tower project but its in very early stages at this point. Every project starts out as an idea. We may not hear much about it until he is ready to build. That was the case with Bellemeade Village. Three years went by with vague talk of mixed use hotel project until Roy released the renderings to the public a few months ago. I Remember naysayers back then who said he would never build a hotel because downtown couldn't support another hotel. Now downtown is getting a Hyatt Place.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-25-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 10:55 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Not naysaying. Like I say, I think he has the ability. There are just a few question marks in the business case (most notably the higher cost per sq ft.) that make me want to wait until more is announced before I get too excited.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Understandable. However Greensboro is growing and it may not be as big of an issue as people think. Also consider many of the floors would be for parking and possibly a hotel. We're not talking about 28 floors of office space.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,018,387 times
Quote:
Understandable. However Greensboro is growing and it may not be as big of an issue as people think. Also consider many of the floors would be for parking and possibly a hotel. We're not talking about 28 floors of office space.
Exactly, for a project such as this, mixed use is the way to go

Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 AM

279 posts, read 278,610 times
Quote:
Understandable. However Greensboro is growing and it may not be as big of an issue as people think.
I don't think anyone is thinking it is an issue. In fact, I think most if not all are saying they can see it happening (a new tower), and that it is overdue for Greensboro.

The only thing I have noticed is people (myself included) pointing out that it is still (by Roy Carroll's own statements) only an idea at this point. Yes he is talking to people, but the developer in question is himself being very clear that it is not yet an official proposal.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Not yet officially but he will likely pursue this project. It would certainly be a welcome addition to downtown

Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 PM

I discovered something pretty interesting. The article in the News & Record about this project was published June 18th. On Construction Wire's website, a planned development listed in office building/hotel category was uploaded to the website June 19th, a day later. Project details say this project is in the planning stages. Roy Carroll's planned tower consists of office space and a hotel. Now this could be just a coincidence and could be another project but I find the published date interesting and I cant think of any other project in Greensboro that consists of office space and a boutique hotel. I can't obtain further information because you have to upgrade to see the name of the developer . If it is indeed Roy Carroll's tower project, he is much further along in the planning stages than he is letting on.

Construction Wire (created 6/19/2015)

Project Type: Office Buildings, Hotels/Motels/Resorts

Construction Type: New, New - Ground Up

Estimated Value: $5 - $25 million

Sector: Private

Stage: Planning (Active)

Bid Due Date: N/A

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-29-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,811,900 times
Quote:
I discovered something pretty interesting. The article in the News & Record about this project was published June 18th. On Construction Wire's website, a planned development listed in office building/hotel category was uploaded to the website June 19th, a day later. Project details say this project is in the planning stages. Roy Carroll's planned tower consists of office space and a hotel. Now this could be just a coincidence and could be another project but I find the published date interesting and I cant think of any other project in Greensboro that consists of office space and a boutique hotel. I can't obtain further information because you have to upgrade to see the name of the developer . If it is indeed Roy Carroll's tower project, he is much further along in the planning stages than he is letting on.

Construction Wire (created 6/19/2015)

Project Type: Office Buildings, Hotels/Motels/Resorts

Construction Type: New, New - Ground Up

Estimated Value: $5 - $25 million

Sector: Private

Stage: Planning (Active)

Bid Due Date: N/A
Whats interesting about it? Sounds like Construction Wire got the information from the N&R article. What about the Construction Wire information leads you to believe the project is further along than the N&R article indicated? It says its in the planning stage, with no bid date set.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Well "visionary" plans aren't usually posted on construction wire and I don't think they got the info from the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point