U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 4,393,634 times

Advertisements

Roy Carroll is planning for a mixed-use office tower in downtown Greensboro that would dwarf the Lincoln Financial Tower, currently downtown's tallest. The tower would not only be the tallest in the Triad, it would also be the tallest in North Carolina outside of Charlotte.

"Project 561 would overshadow the city’s landmark Lincoln Financial tower, at Market and Greene streets, which is 375 feet tall. It would include office space and possibly a small hotel."

The tower would become North Carolina's 5th tallest building after the 4 tallest in Charlotte and would be 100 feet taller than the Wells Fargo Tower in Winston-Salem which is currently the Triad's tallest. It would also be over half the height of the Bank of America Tower in Charlotte.

I hope he goes with the sleek curved glass design that he mentions in the article. We already have two towers dominating the skyline that have pyramid tops. Roy Carroll said he hasn't picked a site yet but there is one obvious site....right next to Center Pointe. He already owns the land and the side of the Center Pointe tower facing the land was purposely built without balconies because of future plans for another tower. This tower would be about twice the height of Center Pointe! I must say I was not expecting an announcement like this. Roy Carroll is really building some large projects in the center-city. apparently he is in discussion with some groups in regards to leasing office and hotel space in this building, but if he moves forward with this project, downtown will get two towers if you include the Wyndham Hotel which will be a modest 11 to 12 stories compared to the behemoth Roy Carroll is planning. It will clearly be visible from the interstates.

“We’re in discussions with several groups about occupying this"

Carroll may build city's tallest office tower (UPDATED) - Greensboro News & Record: Business

http://wfdd.org/post/could-new-skysc...ing-greensboro

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-17-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:14 AM

279 posts, read 278,313 times
Very cool. Love to see the city get more height! I always thought Greensboro is under built in the center particularly.

I am cautiously optimistic but a few parts that shouldn't be glossed over in the article have me hesitant:

"If he decides to develop it..."

"Carroll hasn’t picked a site..."

"...won’t break ground until he has the building leased." (I understand needing an anchor tenant, but not the whole building)

"...even if he finds tenants, he’ll need to charge a higher rental rate to make the project feasible."

"He said office rents downtown are closer to $20 a square foot, and he would like them to rise to the high $20s or low $30s." (This one btw has me very concerned - I think Charlotte core is only about $25 sqft - though I might be wrong.)

He presented two sketches that were dramatically different from each other: "one a straight-sided tower with a pyramid top and another with curved glass sides." and then he added another if, “I don’t know if I can afford the Dubai curved glass building or not,"

All of that seems like a whole lot of what ifs, maybes, conditionals, and just a pie in the sky idea.

I would just shake my head at the whole thing and say "never gonna happen" but this is Roy Carroll we are speaking about. If anyone in Greensboro is going to build a new tower, my money would be on him.

P.S. - excuse the multiple smileys - just that kind of day!

Old 06-18-2015, 11:38 AM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
As you point out, NC guy, there is a substantial amount of bait attributed to this developer's dream.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:08 PM

You are right. What Roy Carroll wants Roy Carroll gets. Of course it's not a done deal but it seems as though every time Roy plans something big for downtown it happens. The article did state he is in discussion with a number of groups who would lease space in the tower.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
Your hubristic zeal is as expected. Despite all the ifs, as Mr Carroll stated, he has to be able to "afford it" before he gets what he wants.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:04 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
I don't think I'll be holding my breath on this one.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Your hubristic zeal is as expected. Despite all the ifs, as Mr Carroll stated, he has to be able to "afford it" before he gets what he wants.
And your negative opinions about Greensboro projects are to be expected. There were a lot of "what ifs" with Bellemeade Village too. This is not a pie in the sky project. Remember back in 1989 THREE office towers were under construction in downtown Greensboro at the same time. When Carroll said has to be able to afford it, he was referring to one of the design options. Obviously the project doesn't happen if he can line the tenants

Old 06-18-2015, 06:46 PM

3,783 posts, read 3,295,692 times
I'm not sure a 25 floor office tower is pie in the sky... That should be a very easy goal for GSO. It might even be smaller than BBT building by Sq. Footage in Winston

And most office towers these days don't get rolling until they get leases. Generally, that comes from local companies expanding or consolidating space.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:03 PM

815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
And your negative opinions about Greensboro projects are to be expected. There were a lot of "what ifs" with Bellemeade Village too. This is not a pie in the sky project. Remember back in 1989 THREE office towers were under construction in downtown Greensboro at the same time. When Carroll said has to be able to afford it, he was referring to one of the design options. Obviously the project doesn't happen if he can line the tenants
In terms of building designs roy could afford to build the more traditional glass office space with a stylish pyramid aka the First presentation, instead of the complex curved structure that was said to look like it belonged in dubai. I'm very much ok with this.

Roy Carrol has the means to do it, "it's not a pie in the sky".

The Curved complex tower however is.

And i see his point, no point building a office tower if you don't already have a major tenant lined up, which is another thing since he's already in talks with several.

Like NC-Guy said earlier, if this was any other random developer, i would have shook my head aswell and said "yeah right" but since this is roy we are speaking of... Who owns pretty much half of downtown,Has been here all his life along with his company,Just recently purchased City view, Owns and built Center pointe condo tower,Bought the rhino times, offered to buy the News & Record..which was not even for sale, and has big money projects like bellemeade going up right now.

Pie in the sky is a bit much.

whats with all this negativity? When bellemeade was announced people were saying the same thing..and now it's being built.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 PM

Here is another detail about the tower. Carroll says it will likely sit on top of a 6 story parking deck. My gut tells me he will build it on the lot he owns next to Center Pointe. Roy Carroll is the only developer I know that actually follows through with all of his plans for downtown. The man knows what he is doing. Roy Carroll is quickly becoming the "Joe Koury" of our time.

While the tower would have 28 floors, It would be much taller than that with the spire or pyramid top. It would be close to 40 stories in height.

Future of Downtown GSO Could Include Tallest Building Yet

Here is the 42-story Museum Tower in Dallas. Its 560 ft, one foot shorter than Roy Carroll's planned tower.

http://www.museumtowerdallas.com/lib...ryslides03.jpg

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-19-2015 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: copyright photos: posts links to pictures that do not belong to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point