U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 AM
 
32 posts, read 57,605 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I recently read an article (http://bit.ly/1MPUGG3) stating that an elementary school teacher was forced to resign after reading a book called "King & King". He read it to his class to teach about diversity and tolerance after a student came to him crying, saying another child had called him "gay" in a derogatory way and said he was acting like a girl. In the book, two princes fall in love and get married in a royal wedding.

Many parents were outraged over his reading this book to their children and some lashed out against him with hate-filled letters and e-mails. This shows where the bullying came from.

This took place in Efland and I am concerned because I have been considering relocating to Greensboro with my family, including school-aged children. If these bigoted attitudes are commonplace for the region, perhaps I should look elsewhere. Please tell me these are just the opinions of a few small-minded people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,258 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
This took place in Efland and I am concerned because I have been considering relocating to Greensboro with my family, including school-aged children.
The article points out that a teacher read a book to third-graders about two man who get married. Many people do believe that is much too young to discuss homosexuality in a positive way to kids. I am not surprised there was outrage in a small conservative community. BTW, he was not "forced" to resign by the administration or community. It was voluntary because he felt he would not have the support of the administrartion.

I don't have any idea about Greensboro, you might be more comfortable in Carrboro or Chapel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 11:56 AM
 
666 posts, read 579,384 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
I recently read an article (http://bit.ly/1MPUGG3) stating that an elementary school teacher was forced to resign after reading a book called "King & King". He read it to his class to teach about diversity and tolerance after a student came to him crying, saying another child had called him "gay" in a derogatory way and said he was acting like a girl. In the book, two princes fall in love and get married in a royal wedding.

Many parents were outraged over his reading this book to their children and some lashed out against him with hate-filled letters and e-mails. This shows where the bullying came from.

This took place in Efland and I am concerned because I have been considering relocating to Greensboro with my family, including school-aged children. If these bigoted attitudes are commonplace for the region, perhaps I should look elsewhere. Please tell me these are just the opinions of a few small-minded people.
You also have to consider whether something is age appropriate, different values & beliefs of parents etc when trying to make a point about how to treat each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
You also have to consider whether something is age appropriate, different values & beliefs of parents etc when trying to make a point about how to treat each other.
Yeah it's really awful to teach children about acceptance and tolerance of all people at such a young age. Let them grow up and form their bigotries first, then try to teach it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,867 posts, read 6,662,420 times
Reputation: 3829
Efland is a very small rural community of less than 800 population in Orange County, between Burlington and Hillsborough. It is not necessarily indicative of the Guilford County Schools. Having said that, there have been several instances throughout NC over the years of attempts to ban books in public schools for various reasons.... even in a high school honors English class in Boone, home of Appalachian State University. I'm sure you'll find many such instances in many states, not just in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:24 PM
 
666 posts, read 579,384 times
Reputation: 269
Default nega

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah it's really awful to teach children about acceptance and tolerance of all people at such a young age. Let them grow up and form their bigotries first, then try to teach it to them.
Who said anything about not teaching tolerance? You don't have to read a book that might be viewed as controversial to get the point across about teaching kids to treat each other the same way they expect to be treated. He could have dealt with this issue the same way he might have if this child was being bullied or teased because of his/her race, appearance or any other issue that generally comes up in school

Last edited by js4life; 06-19-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,258 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
He could have dealt with this issue the same way he might have if this child was being bullied or teased because of his/her race, appearance or any other issue that generally comes up in school
Agreed. There was probably a better way to make his point. Reading a book about homosexuality to third-graders is waving a red flag in the faces of many parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:10 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Who said anything about not teaching tolerance? You don't have to read a book that might be viewed as controversial to get the point across about teaching kids to treat each other the same way they expect to be treated. He could have dealt with this issue the same way he might have if this child was being bullied or teased because of his/her race, appearance or any other issue that generally comes up in school
I'm sure the purpose of sharing the book was to illustrate diversity, and there is nothing wrong with children knowing that gay people exist. I see nothing at all wrong with it...reading a book to elementary school kids is one of the best teaching methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:14 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed. There was probably a better way to make his point. Reading a book about homosexuality to third-graders is waving a red flag in the faces of many parents.
This book isn't about homosexuality, but about same-sex marriage...which incidentally is legal in NC. It has nothing to do with sex, but with teaching kids that there are different kinds of marriages and it's okay that some kids live in homes with two dads. I'm sure sex wasn't mentioned at all, but it's typical of people to equate sexual orientation with sex when it's simply an attraction to the same gender.

A red flag needs to be waved in the faces of many parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 PM
 
666 posts, read 579,384 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm sure the purpose of sharing the book was to illustrate diversity, and there is nothing wrong with children knowing that gay people exist. I see nothing at all wrong with it...reading a book to elementary school kids is one of the best teaching methods.
It's not about whether or not gay people exist but whether his approach was the right one given the age of the children involved. He should have known this might blow up in his face & some opposition might come from parents as well as upper level administrators .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top