Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM

1,050 posts, read 695,466 times

Advertisements

Hello Triad Forum

My family and I will be visiting Lexington soon, and I need some suggestions for places to visit close by. We'll only be in town three days. I hope it's the first of many.

My mother was born here but moved away when she was a teenager, her side of the family goes way back in this region however. I've never been and I'm already in my forties-- I really don't have much to go on as far as any places which may hold some historical and personal interest for me.

I think Beck's Church and cemetery would be a good place to start. Along w/ those places which could have personal significance for me, some recommendations in the way of unique dining establishments serving the regional fare would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance.

North Carolina, here I come!!!!! (can you tell I'm excited?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:58 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,411,006 times
The Barbecue Center and Lexington Barbecue are famous. I love them both.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM

Can't wait to try North Carolina barbecue Just know I'm gonna love it!

One thing I forgot to mention is that my mother's ascendants came from Silver Hill area specifically---can people visit the mine or is there a historical site pertaining to this place?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 AM

149 posts, read 249,798 times
If you are looking for museums, there is a nice train museum in Spencer (~20 miles south). It's called NC Transportation Museum.

Make sure you walk around "downtown" Lexington. There are beautiful old buildings. There are beautiful old houses,
just north of main street between 1st and 3rd avenue.

I think there is a museum in the old courthouse also.

I'm not a wine person, but if you are you might want to visit the Childess Vineards. (hint...if you don't know who Richard Childress is you are definitely not from the area...Hint NASCAR)

Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,334,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
Can't wait to try North Carolina barbecue Just know I'm gonna love it!

One thing I forgot to mention is that my mother's ascendants came from Silver Hill area specifically---can people visit the mine or is there a historical site pertaining to this place?
I grew up in the Silver Hill region and the significance of it today is basically a voting district.
Sadly, there isnt any place to learn about the area past.
The museum at the courthouse was mentioned but I dont recommend it as the tour was very underwhelming from a tour my partner and I did a couple years ago.
The guide basically talked more about Indian tribes and paleontology.
Very little was about the industrial boom of Lexington and prominent figures that shape Lexington.

Since you will be visiting Becks Church, afterwards on other side of 85, tour the Bob Timberlake two floor gallery.
Its a beautiful structure and has a coffee shop in the back.
It features not just his artwork but also things from his childhood and his furniture line which alot made in Lexington or around NC.

Another great place to learn about history is go Uptown and visit Lexington Candy Factory Shoppe. It is in original place with creaking wood floors, another place with historical memorabilia and it still run by same original family and offer candy made in Lexington like Red Bird Mints and home made fudge.

Bring a cooler and walk across the street in the Square, visit Conrad Hinkle Grocery Food Market. (Im sure you mom probably made many visits here).
Its in original building that hasnt changed and it to also run by the same family since it open in 1919.
Pick up some Pimento Cheese and other goodies they make.
Visiting an old timey grocery store is a treat in itself.

Far as eateries sure there is Honey Monks or as outsiders call Lexington Barbecue, good choice but I recommend getting it to go later in your trip by ordering the special.
Special is: Pound of Chop, pint of slaw, half dozen of rolls (but ask for to die for hushpuppies and a side of dip (outsiders call it barbecue sauce). It is cheaper and feeds up to six around $13 to $15.

Places I recommend to eat, might not be nostalgic but has good food is across the other side of the Square is 'Cafe-35', good for lunch and for dinner I recommend 'Sweet Peas' restaurant. Its across the street from the police station.

If your a wine connoisseur in the direction of Honey Monks is Childress Vineyard Resort, nice selection with a wine bar and all is made there. (kinda hot for a vineyard tour).
If you stay over night a good place for breakfast is Village Grille, also in Uptown. It has the original ceiling that was in bakery that use to occupy this space and swing by Laniers

Also I forgot to add after you leave Bob Timberlake gallery on your way Uptown on Center Street, you can swing by Country Club Drive and go left til it dead ends. You will pass all the mansions and estates that was owned by Lexington prominent figures like the owners of the defunct Lexington Furniture industry including the 'Castle' and most sadly are for sale.

Also in addition of historical structures that have been re-purpose are original Lexington Hospital (near Country Club Drive) and Davis-Townsend off Holly Grove Rd. probably was your mom's High School. I havent been by see what its being used for probably some county service but if open they might give a tour. (I went to elementary school here but they have built a new DT not to long ago.)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-22-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. We'll be there three days, so we may be able to see all we would like to.

My mother tells me of breakfasts her mother made: homemade liver mush, biscuits, corn pone...any places serve these foods?

Does anyone know why Beck's church bears the surname?

Thanks again

Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,334,083 times
Two places that I know serve liver pudding-mush and they are 'Southern Lunch'Uptown off Center Street on Railroad Street. There is a farmers market on Wednesday morning a block down in the depot .
I had to look up corn pone vs cornbread and there look similar. What they serve it has a sweet cake like consistency.
The other place is called 'Cagney's Kitchen' off Fairview Drive.
Im a picky restaurant eater only ate there once.

There is two Becks Church on Becks Church road but in your op you mention graveyard and they have a lot of stones back when they use just rock so I figured you have to be referring to Becks Reform.
Here is the history its at the bottom. About Us

Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Thanks everybody for the suggestionsWe'll be visiting soon, and I'm sure we'll really enjoy our visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point