U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,817,402 times
Reputation: 3417

Advertisements

The state house and senate approved HB 263 today, which restructures the Greensboro City Council into 8 new districts. Districts 1 and 2 have two incumbents each, and District 3 has three incumbents, so the Council will have at least 4 new members.

A breathtaking example of legislative overreach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:55 PM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,698,756 times
Reputation: 2109
I keep saying: if they really want smaller government, take a pay cut or volunteer. Such crooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
10,607 posts, read 4,425,506 times
Reputation: 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The state house and senate approved HB 263 today, which restructures the Greensboro City Council into 8 new districts. Districts 1 and 2 have two incumbents each, and District 3 has three incumbents, so the Council will have at least 4 new members.

A breathtaking example of legislative overreach.
The GOP at its best, small govt. keep those mitts out of everything, not in my lifetime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Reputation: 8901
I thought I heard somewhere one city council could not be singled out with this type of bill, that it is against the state constitution.
Was the wording changed for a work around?
Unless there are underground supporters I methinks Trudy Wade's political career will end next election.
IMO, republicans are the biggest hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 10:01 AM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,698,756 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I thought I heard somewhere one city council could not be singled out with this type of bill, that it is against the state constitution.
Was the wording changed for a work around?
Unless there are underground supporters I methinks Trudy Wade's political career will end next election.
IMO, republicans are the biggest hypocrites.
She is really interesting. I read something about her wanting to reopen a landfill. I also believe she will be out of a job shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 02:42 PM
 
51 posts, read 43,685 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
She is really interesting. I read something about her wanting to reopen a landfill. I also believe she will be out of a job shortly.
What's radical about wanting to reopen a landfill? Greensboro currently spends at least $9.7 million a year to ship its trash to Montgomery County. Reopening the landfill would've saved Greensboro taxpayers millions per year.

As with a lot of things in Greensboro lately, this turned into a political issue. Money that could be spent improving Greensboro's parks, trails, infrastructure, etc., to attract job growth the area desperately needs, went to ship trash 70 miles down the road. How dare someone question the status quo!

Where Will Greensboro's Trash Go? | digtriad.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,596 posts, read 4,412,136 times
Reputation: 1501
This in not popular even among many republicans. Governor McCrory who is republican is against this measure. I'm pretty sure we'll see a court challenge which could go as far as the NC Supreme Court. Apparently the action the NC general assembly took violates the state constitution. This is all about politics. The democrats have more control in Greensboro and its an effort to strip some of that power away. Trudy Wade, the one who proposed this bill and who use to be a Greensboro Councilwoman herself also had a score to settle with some current council members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2015, 10:29 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT21 View Post
What's radical about wanting to reopen a landfill? Greensboro currently spends at least $9.7 million a year to ship its trash to Montgomery County. Reopening the landfill would've saved Greensboro taxpayers millions per year.

As with a lot of things in Greensboro lately, this turned into a political issue. Money that could be spent improving Greensboro's parks, trails, infrastructure, etc., to attract job growth the area desperately needs, went to ship trash 70 miles down the road. How dare someone question the status quo!

Where Will Greensboro's Trash Go? | digtriad.com
There's nothing radical about it, but people who live around that landfill don't want it reopened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 06:34 AM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,698,756 times
Reputation: 2109
That's my point. She wanted the landfill reopened, others didn't. So she goes all middle school mean girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM
 
51 posts, read 43,685 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
That's my point. She wanted the landfill reopened, others didn't. So she goes all middle school mean girl.
Ok, so because she wanted to do something that would benefit the vast majority of Greensboro taxpayers and save them money makes her bad. Anything else, or is that all you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top