U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:57 PM

3,142 posts, read 4,178,949 times

Advertisements

Thousands marching in Winston today to protest voter suppression laws in the state.

Watch LIVE:

Mass Moral Monday March for Voting Rights on Livestream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 AM

2,656 posts, read 6,117,654 times
The results of this trial will be interesting, to say the least, and certainly are difficult to predict. On the one hand, the legislature does have the authority to establish the methods by which voting will take place--within limits. On the other hand, I think it's despicable that they would enact rules that in any way discourage or restrict the ability to vote. This is a democracy, and we should do everything within reason to allow everyone to vote regardless of their political views.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 PM
LLN

4,986 posts, read 8,790,345 times
As hard as I try, I cannot find any affinity with those opposed to showing an ID. Instead of marching they should have gone to DMV.

Folks have had, or will have had, years to get an ID.

All this protesting is very suspicious. Very.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,570,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

What's your suspicion?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:10 AM

2,656 posts, read 6,117,654 times
Quote:
As hard as I try, I cannot find any affinity with those opposed to showing an ID. Instead of marching they should have gone to DMV.

Folks have had, or will have had, years to get an ID.

Voter ID is not the only issue at hand, and in fact it's probably one of the lesser ones. Of greater concern, I think, is restricting the ability to vote by eliminating pre-registration of underage voters (who would be of age by election day), eliminating same-day registration, and eliminating provisional ballots for those who vote in a different precinct from the one to which they are assigned (among other things). I find these unwarranted restrictions to be much more suspicious than the protesting.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:49 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,120,847 times
I guess I'm old...when I turned 18 (not in NC, this would have been in NY state), that's when I registered to vote, no sooner. You had to be registered a certain number of weeks prior to being eligible to vote. There was no same-day registration, no provisional ballots. I have long been shocked to not have been required to show government-issued ID in order to vote.

To me, the most important thing is to have educated voters. I don't care about their opinions on the issue(s) and candidate(s) being decided, but I certainly want them to have knowledge of same.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:01 PM
LLN

4,986 posts, read 8,790,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
What's your suspicion?

That voter fraud in certain districts is rampant. Don't bother retorting that it has not been found. That is why suspicious and not proven.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:11 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,851,350 times
Quote:
That voter fraud in certain districts is rampant.
No, it isn't.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,973,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Voter ID is not the only issue at hand, and in fact it's probably one of the lesser ones. Of greater concern, I think, is restricting the ability to vote by eliminating pre-registration of underage voters (who would be of age by election day), eliminating same-day registration, and eliminating provisional ballots for those who vote in a different precinct from the one to which they are assigned (among other things). I find these unwarranted restrictions to be much more suspicious than the protesting.
I've really just learned that it is the lesser one because it's widely called the "Voter ID" issue. The other issues are much more real to me than the ID one because I feel like people should have or be able to get ID very easily - and they can.

Did anyone read about the first couple of witnesses? The stories were kind of pathetic and not very convincing for the plaintiff. I was surprised that was all they could come up with. It was mostly along the lines of "My feelings were hurt because I thought I was registered but I wasn't." I really hope they come up with more than that!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,973,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I guess I'm old...when I turned 18 (not in NC, this would have been in NY state), that's when I registered to vote, no sooner. You had to be registered a certain number of weeks prior to being eligible to vote. There was no same-day registration, no provisional ballots. I have long been shocked to not have been required to show government-issued ID in order to vote.

To me, the most important thing is to have educated voters. I don't care about their opinions on the issue(s) and candidate(s) being decided, but I certainly want them to have knowledge of same.
Most people aren't educated, and that can't be a requirement for voting. Everyone has a right to be heard - even those that are less educated than others. That would be like requiring land ownership to vote.

I just heard a story about someone being arrested because he couldn't produce identification. I always thought you were required to have ID, so I don't understand making that even a minor point. This should be about the other issues, like early registration and early voting. The point is to get as many people to vote as possible and to make it easily available to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or