Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM

774 posts, read 1,852,027 times

Advertisements

I've gotten out of what used to be California, and now I'm an interstate truck driver looking for a small rural area (OUTSIDE of a small town) to buy a small hobby farm.

I've been told that Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point is a good area for blacks to live in. (I actually like what I've seen in South Carolina ... but I don't think I can deal with the Neanderthal-ish racism in SC.)

So, I'm in my early 50's ... seeking a good church, some good neighbors ... and an area with relatively low crime and within an hour's drive from either a major city, a university/college or military base.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,338,908 times
Look into, Trinity, Archdale, Randleman or Walkertown.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 AM

525 posts, read 2,117,901 times
Liberty, Pleasant Garden, Gibsonville, Reidsville, Lexington, Welcome, Madison, Mayodan, Randleman, Denton, King... They are all over the place around here. It will all depend on what price range you are, what kind of taxes you want to pay- all of these are within 30 mins of either Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,817,708 times
Another possibility would be the Mebane, Graham, Efland area, rural, land prices not outrageous yet, surrounded by Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Greensboro NCState, Elon College, NCCentral University,NC A&T State University, Guilford College, Greensboro College as well as at least 6 fully staffed hospitals and proximity to both the beach and the mountains.- all of these are in easy commute range. If you can avoid the temptation to tell the locals how things "ought" to be done, you will probably get along well.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Oh wow 'yall ...

Many, many thanks. That gives me tons of research to accomplish. (Hmmm ... I won't be able to post any more stupid questions for a while ...)

Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,861,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Oh wow 'yall ...

Many, many thanks. That gives me tons of research to accomplish. (Hmmm ... I won't be able to post any more stupid questions for a while ...)
Well, do your research and then come on over! We've got a great state and a good forum too!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 AM

99 posts, read 609,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Look into, Trinity, Archdale, Randleman or Walkertown.
Trinity??? Archdale???? for a black guy? I can't see it. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying someone would burn a cross in your yard, but Those are very small areas with tiny houses and trailer parks galore... I'm black, I don't feel like high point, where I live, is a negative area racially, but Trinity and archdale which border High Point, are kinda redneckish and run down...

high point is the best town, it touches greensboro and Winston, which are very large cities in NC, and both are like 15 minutes away. The housing market runs the gamut from $300 a month 3bed 1 bath homes to million dollar mansions on Rockspring.

If you want the small town friendly neighbor thing, this is where it's at. High Point University is huge, and all the other things you're looking for can be had here in HP, or probably in greensboro.

I however am tired of the small town friendly neighbor thing, so I'm gonna move to florida, but I can still say High Point is a nice place to live.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Default Wow, it's a long time since I looked at this thread ..

LucaBella ... thank you so much for the info.

I'm now looking at Virginia ... but I'll give High Point a look too.

And for you others who didn't know, thank you for the kindness of your suggestions anyway.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM

84 posts, read 216,384 times
Maybe hit the eastern part of NC, between Raleigh and Faytetteville perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point