U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 AM

774 posts, read 1,616,740 times

Advertisements

Intelligent people need balanced information

A breakdown can occur when least expected and in the worst possible places.
This happened to me.
My insurance company provided me with a list of auto mechanics, but I had no idea which was the best one to have the car towed to.

What are some of the WORST auto mechanics in the Triad / Triangle to have your car worked on, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 AM

774 posts, read 1,616,740 times
Default Meineke Car Care Center in Carrboro

They are CAPABLE mechanics with a good rating... until you start reading the reviews....

They do the old trick of nickle and dimming you, charging more money fixing symptoms of the problem when they could fix the main problem from the start.

When you take your car to Meineke Car Care Center in Carrborro, be prepared to be taken for a ride.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:52 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,242,878 times
May not be fair for me to say, but I'm going to say Meineke. Reason why is that my father in law took my car over there to get the oil changed for me a few months ago. Never had an issue with my Honda before then. After that visit, I noticed that the car seemed to be losing power and running rough. Oil and transmission fluids were filled, tires were OK, I couldn't understand. It was an off and on issue. Finally, the car's engine light came on and the car started bucking like a mule. I thought the transmission was going bad.

I took my Honda to a specialty shop that deals only with Honda and Acura. They are independent from any dealerships. They had my car fix the very next day, and it wasn't very expensive. Actually, the part was very cheap to replace. Car drives like brand new. Now, I can't necessarily say Meineke is responsible for what happened to my car, but I can't deny the coincidence. In fact, the mechanics at the shop were perplexed that my newer model Honda (2011) was having such issues. I won't take anything back to Meineke ever again.

I also won't take anything to the dealership unless the car is under warranty and/or there is a recall on the car. That is the absolute worst thing you could ever do. What gets me are the people who think they are taking better care of their car by taking it to the dealership to get unnecessary maintenance done on it every 30,000 miles.

Anyway, my advice is to always seek a good independent mechanic to take your vehicle to. If you drive Honda, Acura, Nissan, or Toyota, I know of a couple great places in the Triad Area. For other vehicles, I know someone here mentioned Steve's at Friendly.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,700,825 times
I don't know any bad ones. I'm wondering why anybody in the Triangle would bother with services in the Triad.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,323,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
May not be fair for me to say, but I'm going to say Meineke. Reason why is that my father in law took my car over there to get the oil changed for me a few months ago. Never had an issue with my Honda before then. After that visit, I noticed that the car seemed to be losing power and running rough. Oil and transmission fluids were filled, tires were OK, I couldn't understand. It was an off and on issue. Finally, the car's engine light came on and the car started bucking like a mule. I thought the transmission was going bad.

I took my Honda to a specialty shop that deals only with Honda and Acura. They are independent from any dealerships. They had my car fix the very next day, and it wasn't very expensive. Actually, the part was very cheap to replace. Car drives like brand new. Now, I can't necessarily say Meineke is responsible for what happened to my car, but I can't deny the coincidence. In fact, the mechanics at the shop were perplexed that my newer model Honda (2011) was having such issues. I won't take anything back to Meineke ever again.

I also won't take anything to the dealership unless the car is under warranty and/or there is a recall on the car. That is the absolute worst thing you could ever do. What gets me are the people who think they are taking better care of their car by taking it to the dealership to get unnecessary maintenance done on it every 30,000 miles.

Anyway, my advice is to always seek a good independent mechanic to take your vehicle to. If you drive Honda, Acura, Nissan, or Toyota, I know of a couple great places in the Triad Area. For other vehicles, I know someone here mentioned Steve's at Friendly.
One of the many reasons I quit being a mechanic.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
One of the many reasons I quit being a mechanic.
Which part? The taking it to an independent garage or the Meineke part?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Which part? The taking it to an independent garage or the Meineke part?
The conspiracy.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
The conspiracy.
Conspiracy? Interesting. So, fairly new car with zero mechanical issues visits Meineke. Post-visit, mechanical issues arise. I'm supposed to assume it's all coincidence and take the car back for a second round?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Conspiracy? Interesting. So, fairly new car with zero mechanical issues visits Meineke. Post-visit, mechanical issues arise. I'm supposed to assume it's all coincidence and take the car back for a second round?
Playing along with your conspiracy:
If this were true and Meineke "rigged" your car to fail the Honda shop ripped you off also because the Meineke mechanic would have to know that doing X (breaking the part, loosening a connection, etc) to that particular part would cause your car to do Y and have you bring it back.
Sounding dumb yet?
So, if the Meineke mechanic loosened a connection then an HONEST mechanic would have said that or if the part were broken it would have been said also. Instead they couldn't pinpoint any "sabotage" replaced a "sabotaged" part that really wasn't and capped it off by saying "Goooolllly! We caint believe yous havin trouble with such a new car."
Sucker.
Remember it's a conspiracy. Yours.

Here's what really happened:
The part went bad.
Cars have thousands of mechanical and electronic parts subjected to conditions rivaled only by space travel. They break, without warning, it's just that simple.
In your state of ignorance you let your paranoia get the best of you and then get bedazzled by a catch phrase that reinforced your perception of the brand and your paranoia.
Keep this in mind; you took your car to an independent shop that works on Honda and Acuras ONLY.
This says one thing: Hondas break, and they break a lot. Honda dealership shops are packed with Honda cars requiring service because they break......a lot.
The bright side to this is Meineke didn't have to waste their time fixing something for free that they didn't break to start with. And if you still believe yourself consider this; it would have been much easier to sell something the car didn't need rather than sabotage it and risk dealing with an irate customer.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Playing along with your conspiracy:
If this were true and Meineke "rigged" your car to fail the Honda shop ripped you off also because the Meineke mechanic would have to know that doing X (breaking the part, loosening a connection, etc) to that particular part would cause your car to do Y and have you bring it back.
Sounding dumb yet?
So, if the Meineke mechanic loosened a connection then an HONEST mechanic would have said that or if the part were broken it would have been said also. Instead they couldn't pinpoint any "sabotage" replaced a "sabotaged" part that really wasn't and capped it off by saying "Goooolllly! We caint believe yous havin trouble with such a new car."
Sucker.
Remember it's a conspiracy. Yours.

Here's what really happened:
The part went bad.
Cars have thousands of mechanical and electronic parts subjected to conditions rivaled only by space travel. They break, without warning, it's just that simple.
In your state of ignorance you let your paranoia get the best of you and then get bedazzled by a catch phrase that reinforced your perception of the brand and your paranoia.
Keep this in mind; you took your car to an independent shop that works on Honda and Acuras ONLY.
This says one thing: Hondas break, and they break a lot. Honda dealership shops are packed with Honda cars requiring service because they break......a lot.
The bright side to this is Meineke didn't have to waste their time fixing something for free that they didn't break to start with. And if you still believe yourself consider this; it would have been much easier to sell something the car didn't need rather than sabotage it and risk dealing with an irate customer.
Number one, you have no authority to chastise me on my opinion of Meineke. Unless you're willing to assume any financial responsibility for my vehicle, you need to check your attitude at the door. Secondly, I simply base my opinion on my own experience. I completely accept the possibility that coincidence could have been the deciding factor and not a specific mistake on the part of Meineke. But seeing as how I know my vehicle's history prior to that visit, as well as my own driving habits and strict scheduling of maintenance, in my opinion, there was too much of a coincidence. That being said, nobody has said anything about sabotage except for you. Your overly dramatic objection to my opinion is simply making you look like a troll. If you disagree, fine, disagree. But there is no need to attempt to belittle me for stating my opinion. Just simply need to disagree any move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point