U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:12 PM

94 posts, read 79,745 times

Advertisements

So we were pretty set on moving our family to Raleigh or Wake Forest and are now seriously considering Winston-Salem. We will still check out Wake Forest but the things we like about Winston are that the homes have more character, more affordable, less traffic, and it is easier to get to downtown, restaurants, shopping.

Our budget is 315K but we are seeing houses we love for under 250K and the less we spend the better! We need 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a yard. A garage would be great but not a deal breaker. We really like Ardmore and Sherwood Forest. The West End is neat as well which is where I lived when I went to grad school. We have 2 kids... elem and preschool so schools are important as well. Husband won't be commuting anywhere and I will look at getting a teaching job in a few years.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:41 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Insight on what? Ardmore and West End are great neighborhoods...I lived in them for 8 years. My brother lives in Sherwood Forest, its a great family neighborhood too. Schools are probably better in Sherwood Forest. I think everything you say about W-S (more character, more affordable, less traffic, and it is easier to get to downtown, restaurants, shopping) is completely true.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM

I guess is one area better than the other? Sorry for not being more specific Are there lots of kids in Ardmore and West End? Any downsides to any of these neighborhoods? Thank you for responding!!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 PM

There's more children in Sherwood Forest, but there are definitely children in Ardmore and West End. I'd do some research into the schools to make sure you're getting what you want. The only real downside I can think of is to be a little careful in West End and Ardmore and make sure you're not butting up against a not so nice area.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
As carolinadawg says, all are great neighborhoods. Hard to say one is better than the other, but they are different. Ardmore is quite varied, with lots of smaller bungalow type houses and some larger houses as well. Most of its streets are quiet with little traffic (although Hawthorne and Miller are well-traveled). West End, as you may recall, has lots of older, larger houses, and probably more traffic concerns given its proximity to downtown (some people use its streets as short-cuts). Sherwood Forest is classic suburbia, with large, well-manicured yards and lots of brick houses.

I would suggest taking as much time as possible to look things over before you decide where to live. While the neighborhoods you mentioned are great, there are tons of others that are just as nice and may be more suited to what you want. You should also consider Lewisville and Clemmons--just a short drive into downtown Winston, and they have some of the best schools in the state.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Thanks! Diversity is important to us and before buying we will visit the schools. Do you know if the children are bused to all schools in the zone? Or if she goes to a school that is not the primary but is still in the zone are we responsible for getting her there?

I always felt safe in the area I lived in across from Reynolds but we will drive around at all times of day...

Old 07-15-2015, 09:52 PM

Thanks arbyunc! We would like to be within walking distance of coffee shops, restaurants, quick cab ride to downtown... more urbanish than Lewisville and Clemmons. I am trying to convince my husband to be a one car family so the more I can walk to the better. Also, there is just something about those homes built in the 1920's-1940's. It is crazy how they don't seem to start falling apart after 10-15 years.

Can you suggest some other neighborhoods? We will be moving in the fall so I will need to get my daughter into school as soon as possible. We will be looking to close quickly on a home.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 AM

Whats your budget for a house?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 AM

Ideally we would like to stay in the 230-290 range. If it was the perfect house we could go higher.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
Ideally we would like to stay in the 230-290 range. If it was the perfect house we could go higher.
In that price range, you'll have the most choices in Ardmore. You can find something in the Sherwood Forest area for that, but West End will be very difficult.

The schools in Sherwood Forest (which is probably a larger area than just the Sherwood Forest neighborhood it self...I'm really talking about the Sherwood Forest Elementary and Jefferson Elementary attendance zones) are much stronger, although it it is more suburban than you are hoping for. Although if you get close to Robinhood Road you could walk to the grocery store, etc.:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._mmm/?view=map

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-16-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or