U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,042 times

Advertisements

I was told Greensboro was very Racist.I had some peoples left there because of it,I know it is everywhere.What they told me it is really bad there.I wanted to know how other peoples feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 PM

816 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Greensboro, is extremely diverse, take from that what you will. From a personal point of view, i'm black and have been fortunate enough to not have experienced a racist moment "yet" in my four years here.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:56 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
I'm the white girl that went to Howard, and I teach at A&T. While I am not a target of racism, I notice it if it shows up around me. As a general, rule, people are polite to each other.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 AM

239 posts, read 212,957 times
everywhere has it's racist parts but greensboro as a whole is not really racist. Certain areas could be but that's just like any city state or town.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times
Greensboro is quite diverse. I remember a poster on another forum board who was originally from the Boston area used to say that Charlotte was the the epitome of racism. I can't confirm or deny as I have never lived in Charlotte, but I can say Greensboro is not. It's quite diverse, especially in the city.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymaid123 View Post
I was told Greensboro was very Racist.I had some peoples left there because of it,I know it is everywhere.What they told me it is really bad there.I wanted to know how other peoples feel about it?
Probably came from the mouth of a racist.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,042 times
This what I saw

What do you think of Greensboro, NC?
I don't think there's anywhere in the world where people are 100% hateful but Greensboro is the closest I've ever seen! I'm from Florida and I have lived in various places like Texas, and even Mexico and Spain. In Spain, there is no concept of customer service, but that is a cultural difference, not people being hateful. In Mexico there's no customer service either but people are much friendlier... you go to the markets and everyone is like, "buenos días!" and wants to talk to you. People are so real and down to earth there. In Spain they're polite in kinda a reserved way. In Texas? Everyone acts like they're glad to see you, and they want you to have a good day. Floridians are very open, liberal and will strike up a conversation with anyone and people are friendlier. But Greensboring-ians are SNOBS! Not all but 99 %.

Ok, in Greensboro/High Point, people are unbelievably snobby. You go into a store and they treat you like it's the highest priviledge for you to be allowed in a store. Or if you go in and have jeans on, they treat you like **** because they don't think you're gonna buy anything.

And drivers! When you are on Wendover, and put your signal on to change lanes, people blow past you and give you the finger. In Texas the only time people do that is if you cut in front of them with no notice (which is dangerous).

We've lived here for over 10 years, and I would like to move except that a. I'm in grad school and b. My mom and cat are here.
Update: The mountains are very beautiful, but Greensboro is gross and over industrialized. Other than a park or two there are no Green spaces, unlike its name implies. Why do they even call it that?
Update 2: @ Ross James: You're not missing anything. Greensboro is over-rated. Charlotte doesn't seem so bad in comparison, but everyone hates on Charlotte... go figure!
Follow 1 answer

Old 07-24-2015, 05:12 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
I am a native of Greensboro and I have never seen, experienced or heard complaints similar to the OP's. Greensboro is a clean, green, nice city with pleasant people. The OP's complaints are hard to accept at face value. Blanket statements involving statements like "everyone" and "no one" involving an entire city simply can't be given much credence.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-24-2015 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 AM

6 posts, read 7,009 times
I agree with Sunnymaid. The entire Triad area has changed drastically since I moved 4 years ago. In general, people are very self-absorbed and rude. With the exception of very few places, customer service is non-existent. Want to shop at Friendly Center? Yep, you had better not show up in shorts or jeans. One plus is that the area does seem to be accepting of all types of people.

This is just my opinion. I know that many of you feel differently, and that is okay. I visit family here about once a year, and the changes I have described above are very apparent, at least in my eyes.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:58 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenskulls2 View Post
I agree with Sunnymaid. The entire Triad area has changed drastically since I moved 4 years ago. In general, people are very self-absorbed and rude. With the exception of very few places, customer service is non-existent. Want to shop at Friendly Center? Yep, you had better not show up in shorts or jeans. One plus is that the area does seem to be accepting of all types of people.

This is just my opinion. I know that many of you feel differently, and that is okay. I visit family here about once a year, and the changes I have described above are very apparent, at least in my eyes.
I shop at Friendly all the time in casual clothes. I have never been treated poorly. Ever.

Maybe things are different for me, since I grew up here, and when I moved back I reconnected with friends I've known all my life. None of them are racist or rude. I drive on Wendover all the time, almost daily. And Holden, High Point Rd, and Benjamin/Bryan. No one has ever flipped me the bird.

It's hard to extrapolate personal experiences into a generalization of an entire city. I was in a big city once and a bus driver yelled at me for not moving fast enough. So should I automatically assume everybody there is rude? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point