Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 06:22 PM

46 posts, read 599,556 times

Advertisements

I would just like to know whether Greensboro is a good city for young single professionals? I have heard several former residents refer to the city as Greensboring. I have a hard time understanding this considering Greensboro has so many colleges. So, I'm making this post to get some more opinions. Also, does North Carolina have those blue laws? It's really lame to have a sports bar close at 1:00AM, and not being able to shop at Wal-Mart on Sunday Mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 06:36 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
The bars shut down at 2am in Charlotte. I think this is a state wide law. Have not been to the stores before 1pm on Sunday in some time so not sure about that. I think Walmart is 24x7 here.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
I think whether or not it's boring to you depends on what your interests are. I'm a 30-something married mother of 2. A suburban housewife. I have no interest in clubs or bars. (Never did. Not even when I was single.) I enjoy shopping, movies, photography, going on dinner dates with my husband, etc. All of which I can do right here. And there are interesting places to visit outside of Greensboro if you're more the outdoorsy type. (Though Greensboro does have nice parks.) I wouldn't limit myself to just what I can find in the city I live in. But then I'm the type who loves to travel within NC.

I'm sorry if I wasn't much help to you. You're a young, single man and I'm a not-as-young married woman. lol But I wish you all the best in your decision.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
I'm 23, and just moved to Greensboro in the past 6 months, so I feel sort-of qualified to answer your question.

I feel like it's sort of middle of the road as far as nightlife goes. There are definitely some young college girls running around. If you went to any large, southern university, it won't be too much of a change. But just like any place, you have to know people in order to know people - at least from my experience. After college, it's tough starting from scratch in a new place.

I'm from a very southern-type city, so I'm used to hole in the wall bars, pubs - that type of thing. Greensboro seems to have a lot of clubs, with cover charges, long lines to get in, dance music - you get the idea. But there are cool places to hang out. The bars/pubs/clubs are mostly on Elm Street downtown, but there are some scattered all over. UNC-Greensboro is really the only college with any people, the other ones are too small to really make a difference (I think).

Overall, when I go out, I feel like there are definitely options of places to go. But nobody is confusing it with Atlanta, Charleston, Athens, New Orleans, etc. From what I hear, Raleigh and Asheville are two of the cooler places in NC. I've heard good, but mixed things about Winston-Salem, and Charlotte is just way too big IMO.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,055,403 times
Hi, I'm originally from DC area. I moved to Greensboro and graduated from UNC-Greensboro. I lived there for a total of 12 years. I moved away in 2003 for a job in Indianapolis and now live in DC again. I gotta tell you, it's what you make out of it and what kind of personality you have. I personally loved Greensboro, I still do. My wife is from there so when we visit her famiy, I really dig getting out and visiting old friends and places. While single, I used to do a lot of outdoor stuff like Mountain biking, hiking, playing soccer etc. which there is a lot of in Greensboro. At night, it can get a little boring if you're not into the bar/club scene. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bars and clubs, but the scene can be a bit cheesy but if you are postive and outgoing, you can meet a lot of new people especially good looking single ones! It's just what you make of it. I had a lot of friends growing up who hated it there, some moved away to really cool cities such as Seattle or Portland and moved back a year later. That was the joke growing up. Don't get me wrong, it is what it is, a small southern town, Cool in some ways, but kind of backwards in other ways. I really enjoyed living and hanging out around UNCG/downtown/Fisher park areas. I personally would love to move back now if I could find a job there but the job market there sucks. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point