U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 86,152 times

Advertisements

I am a chicken when it comes to bugs. I hate them! I have a phobia of bees and wasps ... how bad are they? What about roaches? I have never ever seen one here in MI. How are they down there? Is it like FL where no matter what they will make a visit, even if you are clean. Or is it like other places where if you are dirty, they will come?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,640,349 times
Winston-Salem, Greensboro & surrounding areas are in the Piedmont (red clay hills). I have seen very few bugs thus far. I have no idea how it compares to Michigan, though.

Eastern NC/SC/GA and Florida are all flat, and more humid and swampy. There are many more insects, and they are much more difficult to control.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk View Post
I am a chicken when it comes to bugs. I hate them! I have a phobia of bees and wasps ... how bad are they? What about roaches? I have never ever seen one here in MI. How are they down there? Is it like FL where no matter what they will make a visit, even if you are clean. Or is it like other places where if you are dirty, they will come?
Thanks
Sorry, but there are bugs galore in the Triad area. No cockroaches that I've seen yet. ( The Triad area isn't without them, I just haven't seen them around) Plenty of spiders, wasps, bees, deer flies, horse flies, other types of bugs and we're currently engaged in the "invasion of ladybugs." Fewer mosquitoes than I remember from when I lived here before though. Bugs don't bother me. If you truly have a problem with them, then, seriously, this probably isn't the place for you to move. Use the forum search feature at the top of the forum screen to look up past posts/ threads about bugs in NC.

*Bugs* would be a good keyword to use. Minus the ** surrounding the word.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-15-2006 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 11-15-2006, 11:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,896,167 times
I've only seen one or two ladybugs lately where I live in Greensboro. (We never get more than a few each year where I live.) A few spiders. Not as many have gotten into my house this year it seems, but I've never been overrun with them. I've never had roaches in any house I've lived in in the Greensboro area, but I'm sure some people probably do have them. Some wasps and bees, but not that many. We had some house flies during the summer. A milipede/centipede once. (I can never remember which is which.) That freaked me out. lol I've seen a few praying mantids this year. They're pretty neat. Lots of butterflies. Hmm. That's all I can think of.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 AM

9 posts, read 86,152 times
OK,
Thanks everyone. I guess its just normal bugs... no poisonous house spiders though right? I have 2 cats and they would love to play with them. Its just you know how you hear those stories about people going to Florida or where ever and they say .. O my Gosh there are sooo many bugs! The further down south you go the more bugs you will see! i guess as long as i have bug spray and what not I will be ok right?

Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 AM

127 posts, read 555,964 times
Quote:
Thanks
I haven't seen any bugs larger than a Volkswagen Beetle

Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 AM

956 posts, read 4,072,790 times
I was born and raised in Southeast Michigan and lived in NC for 12 years.
Its the South, so there are going to be more bugs and snakes than you are used to. In MI unless you are on a lake, you don't see many critters like that.
My sister lived in the deep south (Alabama, Southern Georgia and Southern Mississippi) for years. When they came to visit us in MI, her son would immediately run to the back yard and lay down in the grass. When we asked him why, he would say that he couldn't do that where they lived because of all the bugs.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,896,167 times
Quote:
OK,
Thanks everyone. I guess its just normal bugs... no poisonous house spiders though right? I have 2 cats and they would love to play with them. Its just you know how you hear those stories about people going to Florida or where ever and they say .. O my Gosh there are sooo many bugs! The further down south you go the more bugs you will see! i guess as long as i have bug spray and what not I will be ok right?
Well, there are black widows and brown recluses. I haven't seen either in a long time and never in my house, but you can't be too careful when it comes to those eight-legged demons.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:53 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
I haven't seen any bugs larger than a Volkswagen Beetle
Or any that was carrying a small child......

Old 11-20-2006, 07:48 AM

956 posts, read 4,072,790 times
Just remember that all the bugs in the Triad Area:
Carry Shotguns
Follow Nascar
Listen to Big & Rich
Drink Jack Daniels
Marry at 15
And particularly like to infest manufactured homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point