Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 PM

32 posts, read 51,824 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I was just visiting WS for a couple days for a potential job. My office would be near Sherwood Forrest area, assuming my spouse would be working downtown WS. I would like to be within 20 minutes of my office. I am in need of some ideas of areas that have a "walkable downtown" (not downtown WS). This can be 1+ "blocks" of storefronts, local restaurants etc as long as there is a sidewalk & I understand that you can "walk" a strip mall but I really love little walkable downtowns. I know it may sound silly but we (I) love being able to window shop with the kiddos, maybe grab an ice cream etc. It's fine if this area is a 5ish minute drive as we would prefer to have a home (rental initially) that isn't in a subdivision per se since we will be looking for 1/2 acre + sized lot. I know that Clemmons does not have this, Lewisville has about a block of this... just looking for other ideas, TIA!!!

*Other important things... schools, safety, grocery store within 10 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 PM

536 posts, read 639,203 times
Kernersville has a couple blocks of walkable shops in its downtown. It's a 20-minute drive to Downtown W-S from Kernersville; 25 minutes to Sherwood Forest. Another advantage Kernersville has is that it's in-between W-S and Greensboro, if you ever need to go to Greensboro.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:22 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
One issue to be aware of is the closing of a section of Business 40 for 2 years, starting next year. That will make a commute from Kernersville to downtown, and the west side of W-S, very "interesting".

I think Lewisville is your best option for the situation you are describing.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:41 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
The greater Sherwood Forest area might also be a good possibility for you. The commercial area at Robinhood/PeaceHaven/Polo Rds may be somewhat what you are describing of a "downtown" that's not a downtown. That location also prevents spouse from getting on Bus 40 to reach downtown. Rentals would be limited but could work when you are ready to buy.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:03 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Another option could be the West End or maybe parts of Buena Vista. There's a little stretch of shops, etc., right where West End Blvd meets Reynolda, a few shops up Reynolda, and then Reynolda Village up near WFU.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Check out Mocksville...it's in Davie County and about 30 minutes away, but it has that small town feel and a cute downtown. Other than Kernersville and Lewisville I don't know of anything else in Forsyth County outside of Winston-Salem. In the city you could look at West End - there is a nice area of shops there. There is also the Old Salem area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point