Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times

Advertisements

I am biased when it comes to Cary. I remember when it was a crossroads. Now it's a series of developments for people who work at RTP. People who live there love it. It's fine enough. But, if it were me, I'd live in Raleigh instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
And four seasons, we have that too. Most winters are mild compared to our northern neighbors, but every few years we get one that becomes the envy of our northern neighbors.
Well I have some pictures of a single 40+ inch storm from 2 years ago that would beg to differ It was 3 days until we got out on to roads.

Honestly, please tell me how bad your storms are. I am looking to relocate there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheAutumn View Post
Thanks so much, all. I have people telling us to check out Cary, but I fear Raleigh's growth will turn us off. Anyone want to offer some perspective on this recommendation, knowing we are burned out on sprawl and exploding population?
What I see is that both Raleigh and Greensboro are experiencing good quality controlled growth. You can look at Phoenix for an example of the opposite.

You would need to look at the possibility of neighboring property being developed into another "cookie-cutter" sub-division. That could happen to any farm if offered the right price.

I think the growth is under control so far (and I don't even live there yet!!). Obviously, there will be patches that push the limits.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 PM

149 posts, read 250,678 times
Check out Summerfield (just north of Greensboro). Great schools. Large lots. Neighborhoods around Bur-Mil are awesome...
If you want more land, check out Stokesdale.

If you go up into Rockingham county, you can buy a small farm for what you are budgeting. (schools??)

Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
Summerfield is great. I drive to Danbury every couple of weeks. The road construction is messy.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 4,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFromCt View Post
Well I have some pictures of a single 40+ inch storm from 2 years ago that would beg to differ It was 3 days until we got out on to roads.

Honestly, please tell me how bad your storms are. I am looking to relocate there.

Eh, that's nothing! We had an 85" storm this past winter in November. We couldn't even get our door open and we were stuck in the house for several days and this is Buffalo that we are talking about so we have plenty of plows. It was a nightmare but I guess I'm a bit thankful for it because it was partially responsible for finally convincing my husband to move south which I've been wanting for years.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheAutumn View Post
Thanks so much, all. I have people telling us to check out Cary, but I fear Raleigh's growth will turn us off. Anyone want to offer some perspective on this recommendation, knowing we are burned out on sprawl and exploding population?
Cary and Raleigh and it's other suburbs are growing pretty explosively, but the area is not as big as Dallas, nor is it likely to get that big. It seems like Charlotte has more aspirations towards that I think. I think the Raleigh-Cary area could be worth checking out. The Triad maybe has a homier feel. There's quite a bit of growth there, too, but a little slower than Cary or Raleigh and certainly slower than Dallas.

There are also some smaller communities in the Triangle (the Triangle is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) that might appeal. Lots of folks like Wake Forest and Clayton right outside Raleigh and they're growing quite a bit, too, but they are outside of the highest growth areas.

Chapel Hill in Orange County is a classic college town and home to UNC. Chapel Hill and its adjacent sister town, Carrboro, drive developers crazy because they see the potential for big bucks (excellent schools where lots of families would love to be), but the towns have very strict regulations on development. This area is growing, but in a very controlled manner. It's also more expensive than a lot of places, in part because the strict development process limits the number of houses on the market, so the market will pay more for them.

North of Chapel Hill, also in Orange County, is Hillsborough which is a charming small historic town of about 6000. Orange County as a whole is a bit more strict about development than some other counties in the Triangle (and Chapel Hill/Carrboro adds an additional set of hurdles for developers) so Hillsborough is growing a little more slowly, too. It might be worth a look also.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 AM

16 posts, read 29,359 times
You guys are the best! This is all so helpful, I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:46 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
The northwest side of Winston-Salem sounds like it could be a great fit for you, as could a lot of the other places mentioned here (NW side of Greensboro, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, areas around Raleigh, etc.). I like Cary a lot, but it is largely a series of well-connected subdivisions with a very suburban feel. (But a really nice suburb with a great greenway and park system, neat spaces like the Koka Booth Amphitheater, etc.) Still, it sounds like a small city or a town with nice amenities would be more your speed. Come visit!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFromCt View Post

What I see is that both Raleigh and Greensboro are experiencing good quality controlled growth. You can look at Phoenix for an example of the opposite.

You would need to look at the possibility of neighboring property being developed into another "cookie-cutter" sub-division. That could happen to any farm if offered the right price.

I think the growth is under control so far (and I don't even live there yet!!). Obviously, there will be patches that push the limits.
We almost had to relocate to Phoenix- glad we didn't.
As for the winter storms on a year to year basis, mild. We seem to be prone to more sleet or freezing rain than snow. The biggest threat of frozen precip is Jan & Feb. Christmas is usually brown and once March rolls in winter is done.
Most of the winter systems from the west get shredded by the mountains and pose little or no threat. It's the systems that come up from the Gulf or the coast that pack the punch.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
We almost had to relocate to Phoenix- glad we didn't.
As for the winter storms on a year to year basis, mild. We seem to be prone to more sleet or freezing rain than snow. The biggest threat of frozen precip is Jan & Feb. Christmas is usually brown and once March rolls in winter is done.
Most of the winter systems from the west get shredded by the mountains and pose little or no threat. It's the systems that come up from the Gulf or the coast that pack the punch.
Yes to all of this. Average annual snowfall for Winston-Salem is something like 9.3 inches over the last hundred years, and 7.5 inches over the last 30. I think a little less for Greensboro.

And yes, things tend to shut down during winter storms, but that's because we don't have the equipment to plow/salt/sand every street quickly enough to keep up. Usually warmer weather rolls in within a day or two and helps take care of a lot of that.

Which is not to say you can't find snow if you want it. Just an hour and a half west of the Triad, you get into mountains that get 35-50 inches a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point