U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 24,459 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the east coast, and my husband was born and raised in California. I've lived in or spend a decent amount of time in Virginia and North Carolina, with a few years where I lived in AZ/NM and CA.

We relocated to DFW back in 2011 and had planned on staying for awhile. However, the area has absolutely exploded with all the companies moving here, and has gotten way too crowded for us. The cost of living isn't what it used to be, so it's not off-setting the long summers and quickly-growing crowds for us.

I miss the east coast and my husband loves it there, so we're contemplating relocation. (We both work from home at this point, so location is really up to us.)

I lived in Richmond for a few years and loved it, so we are considering going back there, but a lot of people have recommended we check out the Triad area as well. We have a 10-week-old baby girl. Here is what we're looking for:

1. Four seasons. I miss fall and winter something terrible, and while my husband likes warm weather, he prefers some months with crisper and colder temperatures. He really wants to have a fall and a winter wherever we decide to go.

2. Drivable to mountains and/or beach a plus. The flatter, landlocked feel of Texas is wearing on us.

3. Schools. The little one will have to attend them eventually, so they're important.

4. Land. We aren't interested in postage-stamp sized lots with McMansions on them. We'd like a larger lot, heavily-treed, with healthy square footage since we both work out of the house. Our budget would be $350-400k - what does that get you in the Triad, knowing that schools are important?

5. Character. One of the things that I realize I miss a lot from back east (and took for granted when I lived there) is the charm and history. Dallas lacks a lot of that, so while we want a smaller city, we like charm, neat eateries, maybe some cool galleries and parks. Nothing flashy, we are largely homebodies, but it would be nice to have some options that aren't solely chain restaurants and strip malls. While we'll live in the suburbs wherever we move, we'd like access to some culture and character.

We are going to be taking a trip to Richmond and then also the Triad area the first week of November to enjoy the fall, and would LOVE some recommendations of things we should check out in the Triad area, especially eateries, or any neat downtown-ish type areas.

Thanks so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 05:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,825,233 times
I think Greensboro and Winston-Salem meet your criteria very well. That budget will go far in either city. They are very similar...W-S is slightly closer to the mountains, G'boro is slightly closer to the beach.

I know someone who just bought a 3.100 sf townhouse in W-S, in a really nice, established neighborhood with great schools, for around $220,000.

Both cities have put a lot of effort into downtown renewal. Hit Trade Street in W-S or S. Elm Street in G'boro.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 PM

528 posts, read 454,261 times
The Triad sounds perfect for you. Winston-Salem, the "City of the Arts" is known for having a lot of charm and character relative to other "Sunbelt" cities. A great town/suburb in the middle of the Triad where you will get a huge lot for a good price is Kernersville. Kernersville is between W-S and Greensboro (although it's slightly closer to Winston-Salem), so it provides convenient and easy access to both cities. It is also just 15 minutes away from the airport and has its own downtown (albeit small).

Old 08-15-2015, 07:57 PM

This is so helpful already, thank you both so much! It's really helping us figure out what to check out when we visit.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,327,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheAutumn View Post
This is so helpful already, thank you both so much! It's really helping us figure out what to check out when we visit.
And four seasons, we have that too. Most winters are mild compared to our northern neighbors, but every few years we get one that becomes the envy of our northern neighbors.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 PM

144 posts, read 227,895 times
Winston-Salem definitely has the charm you're looking for and is closer to the mountains, with Pilot Mountain only a 30 min. drive away. Greensboro is more of the big-box strip-mall atmosphere that you are trying to avoid.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:47 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,825,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
Winston-Salem definitely has the charm you're looking for and is closer to the mountains, with Pilot Mountain only a 30 min. drive away. Greensboro is more of the big-box strip-mall atmosphere that you are trying to avoid.
Ever driven down Hanes Mall Blvd.? Ever walked around Fisher Park?

Old 08-16-2015, 05:01 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,701,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Ever driven down Hanes Mall Blvd.? Ever walked around Fisher Park?
My thoughts exactly.

Both have busy shopping areas. Both have great locally owned restaurants. Both have some lovely neighborhoods. Both have very nice people.

I think the OP would be happy with either. Bt Richmond is beautiful too. Tough choice!

Old 08-16-2015, 02:34 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,327,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
That's funny. Talk about bias perspective.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:02 PM

Thanks so much, all. I have people telling us to check out Cary, but I fear Raleigh's growth will turn us off. Anyone want to offer some perspective on this recommendation, knowing we are burned out on sprawl and exploding population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point